Good earnings so why immigration?

connect

Hi members,

I have though applied for skill assessment and was very willing for immigration but lately I am feeling hesitation for immigration to Australia. The reasons are : I am already earning like 3,000 to 4,000 Australian Dollars a month in Pakistan tax free. The figure will also increase in due course of time as it is my earnings from clinic (I will get popular with time so my earnings will enhance most surely).

The other reason for my hesitation is : I spoke to a few Pakistani guys in Australia and even after 4-5 years of struggle, they are still not able to make both ends meet. They do odd jobs all the day and still not earning a good amount. They are still away from established careers. I know this experience should not be the same for everyone, but that is what I found.

I am lacking motivation for immigration now. I am not sure whether its a right or wrong feeling. Please advice to the best of your knowledge, thanks for your help in advance

.........in today's climate......the words if it isn't broke apply..!

.........you would have to research if what you have now...

.........is obtainable in Australia....

..........where you could work......does that give you affordable housing...

..........the aminities you now have....

..........what sort of lifestyle do you have/want....

..........if you have to work in the cities......housing can be expensive...

..........near a beach .......would you need to commute....

...........would you still earn the amount of money you do now..?

............best to do some through research.......

............and weigh up if moving gives you all you need.....good luck...

What else could be the reason for immigration? It might help me to find if I am missing anything important.

There are loads of other reasons for emigration. Some Brits move to Australia for the climate for example. We moved for an adventure. I didn't, and didn't expect to, better my life. Well other than I wanted an adventure and got one.

As you seem to be doing well where you are and can't come up with any particular reason to move, then probably you are better off staying put.

If you are earning that kind of money in Pakistan then financially you are likely to be worse off. Getting established in Australia takes time, for the first two years I earned half of what I earned in the UK and it took 4 years to reach an equivalent salary. We didn't move to Australia for money or career progression though, middle aged and over all that!

It seems though that career is important to you - so even putting earnings aside where do you think your career would progress more? Would a few years Australian experience help or hinder your career in Pakistan? I found despite lower earnings my UK experience gave me the edge over locals and I was invited to speak at conferences and SIG's and that catapulated my career which has been of benefit now I am back in the UK.

Bear in mind the majority of people on this forum are British so don't really understand your current environment in Pakistan or the hurdles you would face getting established.

I think that you are right to question why you are moving.

We had an excellent life in the UK but chose to come to Australia. There were several pulls; we had holidayed and married here, all of our siblings are here (and never coming back), we as a family unit are very outdoorsy in a way that it enhanced in Australia, and we had a decent amount of capital to move.

However, there has also been a significant amount of risk, I will need to restart my career which scares me a fair amount (though luckily contracting back to my old role at the moment which has softened the transition).

Unless you can identify significant pull factors other than vague assumptions of life being better in Australia then think you should review. In comparison to the UK, where I migrated from, Australia is not better, just different. It so happens that for my family the difference has been better (at least we think so far - a day's DIY with my brother whilst the kids play with their cousins was really nice).

That said, migration assessments, etc. aren't necesarily expensive, so it may be worth proceeding depending on your occupation to keep options open.

Best of luck

Ferrets

A good standard life style which I think is very much possible with the amount of money I am already earning, and thus I am confused whether to proceed with immigration.

Don't. Reading between the lines I get a feeling that you think lifestyle is based on income. What do you mean by "lifestyle"? Bigger house? Escape from (where perhaps your country may be heading) Muslim extremism or terrorist attack? Materialistic or simply being comfortable? You really don't need anyone to answer those questions because your motives (to me) seem purely monetary.............3000 to 4000 tax free in Pakistan?.............their tax laws must be pretty lax?

What else could be the reason for immigration? It might help me to find if I am missing anything important.

If you don't know yourself, then why bother? Not happy with what you've got (monetary wise)? Looking for someone to tell you that you could have more? If you're missing something "important", especially with your (Pakistan) /education/qualifications, doesn't that raise other questions?

If you are earning that kind of money in Pakistan then financially you are likely to be worse off. Getting established in Australia takes time, for the first two years I earned half of what I earned in the UK and it took 4 years to reach an equivalent salary. We didn't move to Australia for money or career progression though, middle aged and over all that!

It seems though that career is important to you - so even putting earnings aside where do you think your career would progress more? Would a few years Australian experience help or hinder your career in Pakistan? I found despite lower earnings my UK experience gave me the edge over locals and I was invited to speak at conferences and SIG's and that catapulated my career which has been of benefit now I am back in the UK.

Bear in mind the majority of people on this forum are British so don't really understand your current environment in Pakistan or the hurdles you would face getting established.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will try to answer what you have asked me. Putting earnings aside, I think my career will progress even more in Pakistan. I am a Medical Doctor and I specialize in Heart Disease, so I am a cardiologist. The more I practice in my town, the more I will get popular with time, so my practice career will hence enhance with time. If I stay in Australia even for a few years, it will cause a great damage to my practice because I will lose my patients and some other Cardiologist will have them as patients. So my OPD will decrease definitely. I haven't, by the way, inquired anything that Brits here would not be able to answer, most of them have been very kind as you can see they have shared their opinions nicely. You don't require rocket science qualification to understand what life is about in Pakistan. The country is already everywhere - from news to blogs! I hope I have answered your queries. Thank you again for your time and help.

Can you get work as a cardiologist in Australia? If so, you'll be earning lots of money as doctors (and particularly consultants) in Australia are some of the best paid in the world. Obviously the security situation in Pakistan is relevant but, seriously, why are you asking others to suggest reasons for leaving? Everyone's reasons are unique to their situation. If you can't think of any reason to leave Pakistan then don't.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I will try to answer what you have asked me. Putting earnings aside, I think my career will progress even more in Pakistan. I am a Medical Doctor and I specialize in Heart Disease, so I am a cardiologist. The more I practice in my town, the more I will get popular with time, so my practice career will hence enhance with time. If I stay in Australia even for a few years, it will cause a great damage to my practice because I will lose my patients and some other Cardiologist will have them as patients. So my OPD will decrease definitely. I haven't, by the way, inquired anything that Brits here would not be able to answer, most of them have been very kind as you can see they have shared their opinions nicely. You don't require rocket science qualification to understand what life is about in Pakistan. The country is already everywhere - from news to blogs! I hope I have answered your queries. Thank you again for your time and help.

But if you are emigrating permanently to Australia,why does it matter what happens to your practice in Pakistan? Its your career in Oz which would matter.

Edited by Nemesis

Hi members,

lately I am feeling hesitation for immigration to Australia. The reasons are : I am already earning like 3,000 to 4,000 Australian Dollars a month in Pakistan tax free. The figure will also increase in due course of time as it is my earnings from clinic (I will get popular with time so my earnings will enhance most surely).

Hey mate, there are lots of good reasons for moving to Aus but making money isn't one of them. The boom times are over but housing, food, services all still cost a fortune. You definitely don't make this move to get rich. Lots of people driving ubers at the mo :)

But if you want to live in a good society with great weather and beaches, go for it!