Rockhampton - schools and where to live?

gill and chris

My husband has just been offered a job at Rockhampton hospital and so we are planning on moving there in January :wink:. We have a DD who will go into grade 1 next year. Does anyone have any advice on which suburbs we should be looking at living in or recommendations for schools.

We are currently in Melbourne and have been here 8 years after moving from the UK so no idea about QLD in general!

Some of the better suburbs in Rockhampton are Rockyview, Glenlee, Alton Downs, and Gracemere. All around 15 minuets drive from the city. If you want to be near a beach and are willing to drive around 45 minuets each way then Lammermoor just outside Yeppoon is pretty good, bit cooler as well due to the ocean breeze, This might help you http://www.whereis.com/directions you can key in any place and any place you want to go to and it gives route , distance and travel time. Also realestate.com.au for houses rent or buy.

Schools - do you want private or state schools ? I am sure you are aware you need to be living in the catchment for state schools and need to be able to access a place in private schools. The My School web site is a good place to get some basic information re schools. https://www.myschool.edu.au/Home/GenericSearch. Been a while since we have been up that way but hope this helps a little.

Great thanks Tina. We are going up to visit soon to look at schools etc as I think this will help determine where we live... I like the idea of being on the coast as we are very close to the bay in Melbourne but in the first instance, my hubbie doesn't want much of a commute. Of course, he might change his mind after visiting :)