Car Insurance - recommendations?

drstu

Compare the Meerkat! [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have the main insurers in Australia signed up to that yet? Only when I was living there (and working in that industry), the two main Australian insurers - that have 80% market share between them - both refused to participate with comparthemarket. So unless something has changed, OP would be seriously limiting options by searching on compare the meerkat.

I've got a good mate who's a panelbeater and he's always had issues having to store or dispose of cars from people who have had insurers who refuse to pay out, so they can't afford to fix the car, and they can't fight the insurer either. the main culprits are the cheaper end of the market. Personally I use Suncorp and Aami; they cost a bit more but they don't argue and fight you either (in my experience).

I haven't used them for car insurance but Woolworths were excellent when we had to claim on our buildings insurance. Avoid CommInsure like the plague - we had issues with them when trying to claim for home contents and I know several others that have found them a nightmare when making a claim as well. A colleague of mine had car insurance with Youi and had issues when claiming. I've heard good things about SGIC.

Our car insurance is currently with Coles because they were offering to beat our renewal quote (which was cheaper than quotes I got from lots of other places) by $50. Just hoping we don't have to find out what they are like when making a claim. No idea about the no claims bonus though.