Suburb demography in Melbourne

connect

I mentioned Indians, as from the map provided it had Indians has the main population which I found odd as it was not my experience living here.

(

The map provided shows the top 3 *immigrant* nationalities in each suburb, not the main population. It doesn't show the percentage of Australian born people in each suburb.

Completely agree. The problem with Australia is they took so long to decide on mass immigration, look at when the US embraced it. Now they cannot cope and provide the infrastructure that is now required for the population growth.

The housing market and other parts(land, business, etc) are all now on offer to foreign investors pushing the local market out, as they now cannot afford to live here. I look at auctions in my suburb, hardly any first time buyers, mainly local investors who are just looking to rent it out or foreign investors wanting to do the same or house there children here.

With Brexit and Trump, people are starting to turn against the current way politics is run. Some, hopefully, interesting times ahead here.

Except Trump will more likely prove to be part of the problem. Not the solution. Hopefully it may foster in real, radical change though where people matter.

Another thing is the style of houses . Ours are now following the Beijing tradition of ugly square hi-rise boxes with no gardens or even balconies. No one is complaining and these overseas investors have very different aesthetic standards. If you have a traditional Aussie house with verandahs etc, hang on to it because it will become a thing of the past very soon.

Very true. As out living standards decline, the quality of housing being able to be afforded to reflect that. What may be built for your Beijing investor today will very likely be the best an average Australian will be able to afford tomorrow.

We have been truly conned and divided over the issue as a number have done very well from the bubble market. Again short term thinking and not big picture vista, in any shape or form.

• 2 years later...

Chinese =  Box Hill, Blackburn, Glen Waverley, Doncaster and Clayton

British = Mount Eliza, Mornington, Mount Martha, Safety Beach and Bangholme (Mornington Peninsula)

Indian = Glen Waverley, Endeavour Hills, Hampton Park, Narre Warren and Clayton

Jewish with North Caulfield, Caulfield, St. Kilda East, 

Middle Eastern with Northern and South Western Suburbs

Lebanese with Brunswick, Broadmeadows, Coburg, Fawkner