First thoughts on moving

BathEd

Hi all, hope you cangive me a bit of advice even though it's rather general.

We visited northernQueensland from the UK recently on holiday, from Cairns up toDaintree, down to the Atherton Tablelands, out into the outback toUndara and down to Townsville, then back up the coast via Innisfailetc to Cairns again. Totally fell in love with far north Queensland,with the tropical lifestyle, scenery, nature, people etc, AlthoughI've lived in the UK for most of my life, I was born in South Africaand I still get very down because of the lack of sunshine in winterand immediately felt at home in a strange way on my visit.

Anyway it set me offthinking how much I would like to live there but I know very littleabout the practicalities of it which is what I'd like some adviceabout. I know it's meant to be quite difficult to get into Australiaso I'm wondering if it's something worth looking into/working towards(we're not ready to just up sticks and leave by any means). Basicallyare we being unrealistic or is it worthwhile pursuing?

Background is we'reboth British citizens, same-sex couple (not sure what effect thathas) 29 & 34. Both of us have uni degrees, me in EnvironmentalBiology and him in Design for Digital Technology and GraphicalCommunication. I have a little experience working in EcologicalConsultancy and doing science lab work and he has five yearsexperience as a Web Developer. We have about £50 000 equity on ourhouse in the UK.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Australian visas work on occupations, though it is also a points based system.

There are two lists of occupations known as SOL and CSOL. Ideally, one of your occupations is on the SOL as this makes things easier, if not, then you would need to check if any states are sponsoring for CSOL occupations.

The starting point is here https://www.border.gov.au/

Here are the two lists https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

You will need to do a lot of reading

It may be a good idea to speak to a good registered migration agent such as http://www.newlifedownunder.com.au/

Being a same sex couple has no impact

Hi and welcome to the forum

Australian visas work on occupations, though it is also a points based system.

There are two lists of occupations known as SOL and CSOL. Ideally, one of your occupations is on the SOL as this makes things easier, if not, then you would need to check if any states are sponsoring for CSOL occupations.

The starting point is here https://www.border.gov.au/

Here are the two lists https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

You will need to do a lot of reading

It may be a good idea to speak to a good registered migration agent such as http://www.newlifedownunder.com.au/

Being a same sex couple has no impact

Hi,

thanks for your helpful reply. Web Developer is on the CSOL and Developer Programmer (which he may count as) is on the SOL, so it seems it's not a non-starter. This is just an idea at the moment.

Hi and thanks for your helpful reply. Web Developer is on the CSOL and he may count as a Programmer Developer which is on the SOL, so the idea is not a non-starter. Obviously there are a lot of other things to consider like family, finding work their etc so thought it best to make sure it's not non-starter before thinking about those things.

Ed

That and the difficulty with regards to the job market.

Agree with flag, check out the job market in the areas you are thinking off. For the roles you have mentioned you would probably find Melbourne or Sydney(and also Canberra especially with security clearance(once you have citizenship)) would offer more opportunities and better salaries especially for the 2 roles you have mentioned. Unless you get lucky or find a work from home role. Have a look at seek.com.au, indeed.com.au, glassdoor, linkedin to see how many roles you both could apply for, job market here is very competitive at the moment.

Brisbane is a great city. Don't overlook the opportunities that exist in the state capital.

It's very straightforward to get up to FNQ for holidays, but living there full-time I'm not sure. A number of reasons (diversity and inclusion, healthcare provisions more basic, tough climate for 6 months of year). A great place to holiday but think twice about living up there.

Hi all, hope you cangive me a bit of advice even though it's rather general.

We visited northernQueensland from the UK recently on holiday, from Cairns up toDaintree, down to the Atherton Tablelands, out into the outback toUndara and down to Townsville, then back up the coast via Innisfailetc to Cairns again. Totally fell in love with far north Queensland,with the tropical lifestyle, scenery, nature, people etc, AlthoughI've lived in the UK for most of my life, I was born in South Africaand I still get very down because of the lack of sunshine in winterand immediately felt at home in a strange way on my visit.

Anyway it set me offthinking how much I would like to live there but I know very littleabout the practicalities of it which is what I'd like some adviceabout. I know it's meant to be quite difficult to get into Australiaso I'm wondering if it's something worth looking into/working towards(we're not ready to just up sticks and leave by any means). Basicallyare we being unrealistic or is it worthwhile pursuing?

Background is we'reboth British citizens, same-sex couple (not sure what effect thathas) 29 & 34. Both of us have uni degrees, me in EnvironmentalBiology and him in Design for Digital Technology and GraphicalCommunication. I have a little experience working in EcologicalConsultancy and doing science lab work and he has five yearsexperience as a Web Developer. We have about £50 000 equity on ourhouse in the UK.

I wouldn't say it is difficult to get to Australia, now USA that is a difficult country to get to, but Australia has a fairly accessible immigration program - if you are in the right jobs.

Sounds like your OH is the better visa prospect. I would explore the Develop Programmer occupation first, if he can get a positive skills assessment for that it is eligible for the 189 visa so a sponsorship would not be required. The Web Developer requires state or employer sponsorship, the latter would seem a bit unlikely to me, but there are a couple of states sponsoring.

FNQ would not be a great option for IT jobs, although you may fare quite well there. But I would definitely be thinking of Melbourne, Sydney or at a push, Brisbane, for living and save FNQ for regular trips. It is a part of the country I love too, I am saving it for retirement though.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should say we're not really big city people, so though job prospects in bigger cities would be better, we'd rather live elsewhere and we'd rather balance surroundings against wages, within reason. For example I'm only an hour and a half from London by train, but I can't remember the last time I went, except for a work training day. Cairns or Townsville seemed large enough to satisfy any needs, employment permitting. I would also have thought housing would be a lot more affordable, for example I saw a beautifully restored four-bed tropical style house (living area upstairs, garage/storage/utility underneath) with a large garden in a small town (can't remember which) a manageable drive south of Cairns just off the Bruce highway advertised for $280 000. Which is almost exactly the value of our ex-council semi at current exchange rates!

I actually love the heat and humidity, I know a lot of people from cold countries struggle with them but I have bad sinus problems and it really helps clear them. Seemed happiest in the rainforest!

Don't fear Bathed, we do have electricity and even computers north of the Sunshine Coast; I have friends who have moved to the tropics from Sydney to take up web developer roles for local companies; there's a market for local people who can talk face to face and work with the client directly. There also a number of labs where someone with that background can get jobs - there's the major environment labs for one of the nationwide testing company in Cairns (any samples we need tested for sulphate, chlorate, pH and acid sulfate invariably ends up there), there's also a large market for coal quality and minerals assay in the tropics, and a decent number of enviro consultancies.

If you want some specific details pm me.

Dont worry too much about city living ,some places an hour drive of brisbane can feel like woop woop, so if you dont mind the commute you can live somewhere that feels a million miles away from city living but still have easy access if you need it. Also places North of the Brisbane region that were a few years ago known for having nothing are very developed now and can offer some great work/ living opportuinites.

Lots of luck with everything.

Cal x

• Like 1

Wish you all the best but I would try to separate 'holiday' feeling vs. 'real life'. I've been caught up a few times visiting somewhere and falling head over. Imagining life there, jobs, housing... life... and then when you return home reality sets in a bit and wherever you are (for most) you still have to work, pay bills, argue about who's doing the dishes etc.. ! As long as you remember you'll still have to do all the boring things that life normally brings you'll be fine! Hope you find a way to get there.

Wish you all the best but I would try to separate 'holiday' feeling vs. 'real life'. I've been caught up a few times visiting somewhere and falling head over. Imagining life there, jobs, housing... life... and then when you return home reality sets in a bit and wherever you are (for most) you still have to work, pay bills, argue about who's doing the dishes etc.. ! As long as you remember you'll still have to do all the boring things that life normally brings you'll be fine! Hope you find a way to get there.

This is true, but do you have any suggestions for how to do it? I've been on holiday to a lot of fantastic places: Cape Town (where I used to live), Lisbon, Rome, Japan etc and had a great time, but never for a moment imagined living in any of them.

This is true, but do you have any suggestions for how to do it? I've been on holiday to a lot of fantastic places: Cape Town (where I used to live), Lisbon, Rome, Japan etc and had a great time, but never for a moment imagined living in any of them.

I wish I did! I think I would be a very rich person if I did... however, if you haven't had this feeling before, then maybe, just maybe... it's the right place for you. However, there is the all important massive point ... do you qualify. Hope so!

• 2 years later...

This went onto the back burner for a while but is now on the cards again. Sorry if the questions are basic, but this is only an idea at the moment. 

So my partner is a web developer, this isn't on the visa list but web programmer is. He doesn't seem to think there is any real difference between the two things, so how would we go about finding out if he qualifies?

5 hours ago, BathEd said:

This went onto the back burner for a while but is now on the cards again. Sorry if the questions are basic, but this is only an idea at the moment. 

So my partner is a web developer, this isn't on the visa list but web programmer is. He doesn't seem to think there is any real difference between the two things, so how would we go about finding out if he qualifies?

Id call an agent and have a chat about what qualifications your hubby has etc , the agent will be able to tell you the best visa to apply for.

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a look at this document and see which Anzsco code covers what your partner does.

Depending on what he actually does in his job and what subjects he studied, he might come under a different job title for skill assessment purposes (which might open up other avenues for a skilled visa).

https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/acs-skills/Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants V5-6 Aug 2018.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, BathEd said:

Any other suggestions? He's contacted Go Matilda but they said they are so busy they can't take anyone else on!

Wrussel, Paul Hand and Raul Senise all regularly post on this forum and are reputable, MARA registered migration agents.
All will do a free consult to look over your specifics and determine eligibility for a visa/migration route. 

If you engage any other agent make sure they are MARA registered, and don’t use a lawyer! 

As a side note Brisbane is lovely, yes it’s a city and the state capital but it doesn’t have the massive busy feel you get with Sydney. You can walk across it quite easily. 
Only a 30-40 min drive out you can be in places that feel like the back of beyond, and that way commute to work and do holidays up in the far north. Internal flights are pretty cheap. Just a thought if work is easier to find in Brisbane. Down the line if the far north is where you want to be sussing out job opportunities while onshore, with some Australian experience will probably be easier. 

Good luck

• Like 2