reciprocal health care and mental health coverage?

tylerolo

Hi first time poster with a random question -

I have my reciprocal healthcare medicare card and wondered whether this would allow me to claim the medicare rebate for psychologists under a GP mental health treatment plan.

The guidelines on are very unclear stating that only necessary treatment is covered - any help would be really appreciated.

@tylerolo A mental health care plan from a GP referral should give you entitlement to 10 medicare rebated sessions per year. The eligibility wording is rather vague "Mental disorder is a term used to describe a range of clinically diagnosable disorders that significantly interfere with an individual's cognitive, emotional or social abilities" but a referrral from a GP is enough for eligibilty for such things as depression/anxiety etc. (anxiety in my case) The initial referral is for 6 sessions and you need a further referral for the next 4. In exceptional circumstances, (such as deterioration in your condition) a further 6 may be accessed. I managed to access all 16 as I told the GP that further circumstances had exacerbated my condition.

@tylerolo A mental health care plan from a GP referral should give you entitlement to 10 medicare rebated sessions per year. The eligibility wording is rather vague "Mental disorder is a term used to describe a range of clinically diagnosable disorders that significantly interfere with an individual's cognitive, emotional or social abilities" but a referrral from a GP is enough for eligibilty for such things as depression/anxiety etc. (anxiety in my case) The initial referral is for 6 sessions and you need a further referral for the next 4. In exceptional circumstances, (such as deterioration in your condition) a further 6 may be accessed. I managed to access all 16 as I told the GP that further circumstances had exacerbated my condition.

I think the issue here is the reciprocity factor - temporary residents aren't entitled to all that permanent residents are. I don't know the answer unfortunately and I guess checking with the GP is going to be the only way to go but the catch 22 there is that the medical condition then becomes information which could, potentially, be an issue in the event of application for permanency.