Am I eligible for my 2nd WHV? I'm 32 y/o

stephaniemdury

I'm currently here in Aus on my 1st year WHV, having entered the country 30th March 2016. With the new changes coming into effect from 1st Jan 2017, it would suggest that I'm eligible to apply for my 2nd year WHV. I am having great problems finding any information as to whether the upper age limit change is applicable only to new WHMakers and not existing ones :(

I'm aware, and more than happy, that I have to complete the 88 days rural work, however, my time is rapidly running out and it would be a massive squeeze to fit 88 working days from 1st Jan to 29th March 2016, unless I was to work like an absolute Trojan during the hottest months of the year.

I fear that this information will only become available after 1st Jan 2017, in which case I should get on and bank some rural days this side of the New Year. Currently, I'm in a good job that not only pays well but also is providing me with skilled experience, which I'm hoping will help me when I apply for my skilled migrant visa. I've got my work cut out for me applying for a skilled migrant visa and having an additional year to collect all the information/evidence I need to for the application would be absolutely amazing! And all the while working in this skilled job that should count towards previous experience.

I've had a trawl through websites for the information I'm looking for and can only find that the age limit is changing and not who it actually applies to. Surely I'm not the only person in this situation. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I think you could be asking the wrong question. I don't think the issue is whether the age limit is changing for first or second WHV applicants (for what it is worth, I think it would be bizarre to change it for one and not the other). No I think the real question is will it change at all.

So far, as far as I can see anyway, there has only been an announcement that they are thinking about it. The wording on the immigration website currently reads as:

The government is considering options for expanding the upper age limit of eligibility from 30 to 35 years ....... Reciprocity of arrangements for Australian citizens remains a key feature of the programme. The current age of eligibility (18-30) will remain in place for the time being.

So it sounds like this is still a fair way off to me. Certainly doesn't sound like anything is set to change in January.

Nevertheless, you do need to think about whether you should take the gamble in the hope that it will change later on. But I think there is no way you are going to find out for sure within your timeframes. I guess you need to decide whether you would kick yourself more if you do the regional work and the age doesn't change or if you don't do the regional work and then the age increases.

Absolutely. I even thought that while typing out my original post, that it is just a consideration at this moment in time, hence my comment "I fear that this information will only become available after 1st Jan 2017".

Whatever happens, I think I've got to weigh up my options and see which route is more viable with my timeframes; rural work and 2nd year WHV likeliness vs skilled migrant visa with the possibility of finishing off the application for this after leaving the country next March.

Thanks Bungo.

Absolutely. I even thought that while typing out my original post, that it is just a consideration at this moment in time, hence my comment "I fear that this information will only become available after 1st Jan 2017".

Whatever happens, I think I've got to weigh up my options and see which route is more viable with my timeframes; rural work and 2nd year WHV likeliness vs skilled migrant visa with the possibility of finishing off the application for this after leaving the country next March.

Thanks Bungo.

Personally, three months of farm work between now and March on the off chance that the rules will change, would not be something I would be prepared to do - particularly if I already had a good job in my skilled occupation. But that is just a personal opinion, sometimes others are motivated to do whatever it takes to stay longer. No idea where you are on that spectrum.

I'm definitely keen to stay here and would be prepared to do the farm work if I knew 100% that I would be eligible for my 2nd WHV, but the odds are stacked against me at the moment and with my timeline being what it is, I'm not sure it's a risk I want to take.

Unfortunately, the company I work for is a NFP and they seldom sponsor people, but my manager has agreed to do what he can to help me with my visa application. I'll more than likely stay in the job I've got for now and continue with my skilled migrant visa application. If I need to leave the country before that visa has been approved/rejected then so be it.

Thanks again for your help Bungo and Quokka2005, I think I just needed to voicing board for this. Those I speak to in person, I don't think really understand my situation and/or have no drive themselves to stay here and so don't see it as a big deal.