Why are cars in australia so expensive?

SUPERSTARDJ01

Fair comment lady r ....but how many times a year is salt used now ?....

A lot where I live! But it seems from what others have said my assumption is wrong. I am old enough to remember Datsuns falling apart in the UK and a number of them were still on the road in Perth when we were there!

A lot where I live! But it seems from what others have said my assumption is wrong. I am old enough to remember Datsuns falling apart in the UK and a number of them were still on the road in Perth when we were there!

Yes and no, you are correct that cars did rust due to the salt, but cars these days are better protected so rust is not as much of an issue as it once was.

Jake bought the Hyundai Accent Active 5 door (classed as Oz best light car 2015) for 15.5K (and that was the 1.6 not 1.4) to replace his previous 2013 Getz that cost 10K (how much were they in the UK?)..........dunno what the UK equiv to the Accent is but looks like the i20 which is 15k sterling almost double the price, and the i20 is being discontinued here, to be replaced by the the growing popularity of the Accent so I guess I'm close........similar specs but with the Accent having more "sporty lines" at half the price of the UK. I stand to be corrected and await with bated breath for the usual suspects.
you are quite right on Hyundai. Probably most Asian brands as well, less so Europeans.

no.

How is it calculated then?

Looks like Hyundai's are substantially cheaper here than Britain when factoring wages.

Edited by Guest

How is it calculated then?

Looks like Hyundai's are substantially cheaper here than Britain when factoring wages.

for new cars yes, but second hand cars are substantially more expensive in Australia as to make the exchange rate irrelevant. Also, because of the sudden move in the exchange rate, new car prices haven't had a chance to rise in Britain yet.

Americans earn more than Australians but their cars are far cheaper...sorry but you are wrong.

So that's all Americans earn more than any Australian is it PB. If they were doing so well Trump wouldn't be president elect mate. Don't know where you get your info from sometimes. Well actually I think you just make stuff up.

It's all relative isn't it, price that is. I've got a 2005 nissan X-Trail. Had it from new as a novated lease so got a good price. Bought it off the lease company 4 years ago for 4000. It's done 230,000km, I've done my own servicing and it's never missed a beat (touch wood). They last longer here and when you come to work on them you don't have to unseize bolts orvfind a spanner won't go on as its rusted away. They maintain there value too so you don't lose much when you sell.

If you buy private there are some real bargains around too.

Cars being cheaper here or there, Aussie earning more than Spams, second hand resales more than expected all valid points......

But don't forget they (the Victorian government) add stamp duty to car purchases too. Yes even second, third, etc hand vehicles. Vic roads adds on 4.2% to the purchase price (more if it's a premium brand - which includes minis) when you register the car in your name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake bought the Hyundai Accent Active 5 door (classed as Oz best light car 2015) for 15.5K (and that was the 1.6 not 1.4) to replace his previous 2013 Getz that cost 10K (how much were they in the UK?)..........dunno what the UK equiv to the Accent is but looks like the i20 which is 15k sterling almost double the price, and the i20 is being discontinued here, to be replaced by the the growing popularity of the Accent so I guess I'm close........similar specs but with the Accent having more "sporty lines" at half the price of the UK. I stand to be corrected and await with bated breath for the usual suspects.

Yup! Just compared specs and the Accent can be bought here for < $15k drive away. Similar spec UK i20 17K sterling. Unbelievable!

Yup! Just compared specs and the Accent can be bought here for < $15k drive away. Similar spec UK i20 17K sterling. Unbelievable!
it is quite unbelievable. My i10, which is a tiny car cost the same in pounds as a i30 family car cost in Australia. I don't know how Hyundai sell in the UK. Still, that may change after brexit. Edited by newjez

• 4 weeks later...
In looking at cars and cars with over 100k miles are equivalent to over £10k still, its madness.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

They are probably over 100,000 kms rather than miles and over $10k so that makes a big difference. Used cars though seem to hold their value better here which is not necessarily a bad thing as you gain when you sell instead of when you buy.

We bought 2 brand new cars last year which were excellent value. A Subaru Forester ($39k) and a Mitsubishi Mirage ($13k). Our then 2:1 exchange rate coming over meant that these two cars cost the equivalent of £26k - less than the equivalent UK cost at the time. Annual service fees are much cheaper than the UK, though Rego/insurance a little more, petrol much cheaper of course, and we very rarely pay to park the cars here.

We intend to keep them for many years. Indeed the Mirage which we use as our local runaround is earmarked for our daughter's first car when she learns to drive (she is 12 now).

Basically they cost a lot here because they ( the manufacturers) get away with it. Same reason IKEA costs more here- people pay. Nothing to do with isolation as most of them are made in Asia anyway.

Exactly. No reason why Australia is such a rip off, just is. People just pay out. Few question. I think it is called the Australian premium. No not wages. Cars are cheaper in Europe. Second hand cars far more so. Australians are one of the most car obsessed societies on earth with a massive industry around that. Besides that few good reasons why everything auto related is so expensive.

cars do not seem to wear out the same as in Europe even though they have handled the rust problem. Probably because the popular cars here are the ones who can take the climate and run for years and years. Toyota and Mazda are my cars of choice and they retain a good second hand price, maybe because we hang on to them and they do not cost us much to maintain.