Why are cars in australia so expensive?

SUPERSTARDJ01

They last a lot longer as they aren't exposed to the salt UK cars are, high mileage is the norm as people cover big distances but that mileage won't have been as damaging as the 'stop/start' miles in the UK.

And on a positive note you get a decent return when you come to sell it.

They last a lot longer as they aren't exposed to the salt UK cars are, high mileage is the norm as people cover big distances but that mileage won't have been as damaging as the 'stop/start' miles in the UK.

it's rare for a car to rust these days even with salt on the roads. I always assumed it was because there is no mot in Perth, but I believe they do mot equivalent in the east.

You need to select you car brand and models carefully. If you want so called premium i.e. Audi, BMW etc then yes you will pay a lot and maintanance will be high. If you go for Japanese then costs will be lower with generally high levels of reliability. If you buy domestic then some are cheaper other special editions etc are high priced.

We bought VW Golf GT TDi which I ran for 12 months and sold for $500 less than my purchase.

Service history is important and when buying there is no log book so you will not be told previous owners. When buying ensure you get the roadworthy documentation (valid for 4 weeks or 2000km's as I can recall). You can get pre purchase checks and if buying from a dealer then they have to give a 6 month warrantee here in QLD. Finally buying interstate can be a pain.

S

Its all relative as wages are generally higher here so evens out. I think they not that dear, only the so called "luxury"cars are dear and if people want to be in a fancy car they should have to pay for it. There are many many cheaper cars around which are equally as good. Toyota cars hold their price because they go and go and go and the engine keeps on going when the body drops off. We have always bought cars and let them die, we had a Corolla which was 24 years old from new and a Corona a similar age. Both were automatics and both died with their original automatic gear box. Very cheap motoring for us. Now I have a new ford which I don't drive much and a four wheel drive which I do drive, its my dog car and as they go everywhere with me I use it a lot. My 4 x4 used to be my son's car from new and its done o ver 200,0000 km and I love it. I swapped him my new 4 x 4 for it as I hated it, too much fandangle for me. It will see me out no doubt.

Basically they cost a lot here because they ( the manufacturers) get away with it. Same reason IKEA costs more here- people pay. Nothing to do with isolation as most of them are made in Asia anyway.
pre brexit you could buy a new car cheaper in Australia than the UK. You could buy an i30 in Australia for the cost of an i10 in the UK.

Second hand cars do certainly hold their value more. I could never figure it out, but assume it is smaller population spread over a vast area, so, if you live in Perth you are not going to be buying from Sydney, so means a much smaller amount of cars. The flip side is when you go to sell, you get more for your money. In March I sold my 2004 Hyundai Getz for 3k. It had a few issues and a LOT of miles and was the most basic model. I would have been lucky to get £500 in the UK.

I don't think new cars are any more expensive unless you want a "luxury" brand such as BMW and Porche seemed ridiculous. Here I am looking at a BMW or Audi as next car next year and they are in the same price bracket as a Ford Focus.

Jake bought the Hyundai Accent Active 5 door (classed as Oz best light car 2015) for 15.5K (and that was the 1.6 not 1.4) to replace his previous 2013 Getz that cost 10K (how much were they in the UK?)..........dunno what the UK equiv to the Accent is but looks like the i20 which is 15k sterling almost double the price, and the i20 is being discontinued here, to be replaced by the the growing popularity of the Accent so I guess I'm close........similar specs but with the Accent having more "sporty lines" at half the price of the UK. I stand to be corrected and await with bated breath for the usual suspects.

Edited by Johndoe

When I bought my car in Australia, I compared it to the same model, same age in UK and it was almost exactly the same price but only when assuming that the purchasing power of my earned dollar is around 2X the £. If somebody is comparing then the rates are particularly bad then cars are going to look expensive even when they might not be.

On the other hand, found no truth whatsoever in cars holding their value. Well mine definitely did not.

Fair comment lady r ....but how many times a year is salt used now ?....