Confused about Health insrance and medicare

huske

Hi everyone!

I really hope that someone can help me with this...

We are coming over to Brisbane soon, family of 3 (husband and son UK citizens, I have EU passport), husband coming over as student (myself and our son as dependants). We have Allianz OSHC(Overseas Student Health Cover) family cover for the duration of our visa. I was reading through the policy wording and the OSHC does not cover dental, optical, ...

I am hoping that OSHC will be good enough cover for us in case we need to use it, but -

I want to ask how does Medicare work? Is it only accessible for people on PR? Or would our OSHC cover most things like medicare anyway?

If we need to go to see a GP, will we still need to pay anything or would that be covered by our insurance?

And is dental all private and therefore has to be paid for regardless(as it is not covered by OSHC)?

I am just wondering if we should look into getting a separate insurance to cover the dental care.

Sorry for going on a bit, it has been playing on my mind , so would be great if anyone could simplify for me.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Medicare does not cover dental, nor does it cover optical except for eye examination.

If any Uk passport holder has need of emergency care they will be covered by medicare in a public hospital under a reciprocal agreement. This does not apply to EU passport holder. You will need medical insurance to cover all your medical needs including prescriptions.