Small amount of personal belongings to ship - HELP!

LadyBlaze

Hello!

I'm emigrating in February (me, myself and I) but as I'm renting out my flat fully furnished when I leave, I'm taking out a relatively small amount of belongings. This will primarily include clothes, shoes and bags (!!) but also some personal effects like bedding, cushions, ornaments that mean something to me, some mugs, a printer, pictures and throws. Things that will help make my new home feel like home, but nothing particularly practical! On saying that, I'm also seriously considering taking my cordless dyson since I can just use a plug adapter!!! (though people may have advice on that too!)

What would be your advice on the route to take for shipping such a small amount of stuff? I won't have an address to ship it out to immediately, so it will likely go up to my Mums, which means I'll have to pack it myself so wont need that service from a company.

I'm based in Scotland, so any experiences would be much appreciated :)

Claire

BRING THE DYSON ! i wish i had brought mine, they are so expensive here. We sent a few boxes of stuff in a shared container with Crown relocations years ago and they were great. Price up a few of the shippers like them and see who can give you the best deal.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

I am in the process of using Seven Seas to ship 2 or 3 boxes from Newcastle UK to Melbourne and so far so good. It costs £160 per 26kg box and they dropped the boxes off at my house the other day. They will collect them when I am ready and send via airmail in 12-15 days. You can store at the other end for free I think if you do not have an address yet.

But so far couldn't recommend them enough.

I used Anglo Pacific recently, and things took 11 weeks. They arrived last week actually, in good condition.

I had them collected from Norwich, UK and shipped to Sydney. I had 3 Tea Cartons (5 cubic ft each), and one bike box, and they were collected and delivered, but packed myself. It cost me around 325 pounds, including their all risks insurance, plus $125 customs charge once it arrived in Sydney.

Their pricing structure was as below:

First Tea Carton (5 cu ft) by sea freight is £105

Each extra tea carton by sea freight add £35

Each extra export carton (3cu ft) by sea freight add £21

Each extra book carton by sea freight add £14

Whilst the delivery is free, they do have a collection fee for each box you send. This is charged at £12 for the first box and then £6 for every one thereafter.

Hope this helps, I would definitely recommend them.

Regards,

Dan

• 2 months later...