Public transport from sydney's Eastern subburbs to CBD

Monika

Hi there,

Does anyone commute from Coogee/Bronte or Tamarama to CBD by bus Mon-Fri? How long does it take during peak hours? Is there always sit at the bus?

I'm thinking about moving to Coogee or Bronte but I'm a bit worried about commute taking more than 30 mins due to light railway construction works.

Thanks for info

You don't have to go anywhere near Bondi Junction if you live in Coogee and travel to the city. You take the bus directly there.

The express bus (X74), via the Eastern Distributor, used to take me approx 20-25 minutes when I commuted. That's from Bream Street, Coogee to Martin Place and catching the early buses - departing around 7.15-7.30. The 7.15 am bus would arrive in town at around 7.35. The later buses took longer. I would usually leave home at 7.10, catch the 7.15 bus and be in my office in Kent Street well before 8am.

Coming home was a bit slower because the route was different.

Buses are more variable in general compared to trains, as there's a lot of traffic and it's not entirely predictable - but in general terms I'd say it could get there up 15 to 30 mins later than optimum time.

I get the bus from Newport sometimes and it's pretty predictable until it hits those busy spots (in my case from the Spit Bridge to the Harbour Bridge). But I wouldn't sweat it. Tons of people get buses, and everyone is in the same boat. car parking in the city is expensive and/or short hours only, so public transport if just a thing that everyone does.

I work with loads of people who live out Eastern suburbs way, and most of them get the bus. Some cycle, some run part or all the way, and a lot of people use a motorbike as you can park for free.