Self Pack Containers from Brisbane to UK

Creese

Hi

Has anyone used a "self pack" container service, and did you save money compared to a packaging company coming in and doing the whole package for you? We used a removals on the way over here but moving back to the UK and looking for the cheapest option.

:wink:

Just consider customs when your container arrives in Australia. Nearly all get opened however those professionally packed and with register of all items get a light touch....generally. We were advised self packed containers can not be signed off by a professional removals company and will get stripped by customs, incurring customs charges.

We ran through the costs and agreed we would pre pack everything back into its packaging and our removals co. Bournes then checked, signed off and packed into the container. Cost a couple of £100's more than self pack, removed a huge amount of stress and only 1 issue with a Christmas decoration when hitting Brisbane.

Your choice, consider all aspects not just cost.

S

Hi @scuffythetugboat did you have a lot to move from Perth to UK? We are looking at options and would be very interested to know how you used etc. How long ago was the move? Much appreciated.

Hi Sue, we had just over 5 cubic metres of boxes which we packed ourselves. We looked into Movecube but our stuff would have been over their safe weight limit and we had nowhere for them to park the trailer as we were in an apartment in East Perth. The cost was $1800 door to door with Chess Removals who we can recommend as we've used them twice now. They picked up on the 5th of September and everything was delivered to our address on the 1st November. All accounted for and no breakages. We insured with Letton Percival, but I would point out that as everything was self packed, they did not cover china or glass breakages.

Part container loads are being shipped quite quickly at the moment as a lot of people are heading back to the UK.

Hope this helps.

Edited by scuffythetugboat

Hi @scuffythetugboat thanks for the update and appreciate the feedback. You're the second personal recommendation for Chess removals and I've been reading some old posts and they got the thumbs up from those who used them.

Yes I've noticed there is definitely a big jump in the persons moving back and I guess the lack of jobs here in Perth and what quite a few moved over for in the first place may be the biggest driver.

Cheers