Amazon coming to Australia!

I posted about this over on PIA but not sure its been mentioned here. Anyways

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/amazon-to-destroy-aussie-retail/news-story/eb46ca7590b11ca57d8f430a7ba062d5

It seems to be happening. Its been written about in the past but until now, it hasn't seemed like actually happening.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I want to support Australian businesses etc but often don't buy from them as their websites for online shopping are dire, the service and delivery are slow and the prices are often non existent and you have to message them to enquire the price?! Its very slow here in terms of online shopping thats for sure. And I don't always want to have to travel many KM's to the other end of Adelaide to buy an item so in store shopping isn't really an appeal. And order online, collect instore, I get charged for or the stores I can collect are again a long way away or not somewhere I would normally be going near. All up, rather disappointing shopping wise in many respects.

Amazon could change all that. I used to shop a fair bit on Amazon UK and buy from sellers in their Marketplace too. I'd do so again here. From a consumer POV if its a good price, quick delivery and items are as described, I'll be using it.

Hopefully Australia will take a harder stance than Britain on paying taxes and loopholes
in your dreams. I hate using Amazon because of the tax issues, but they are good. A few clicks and you have bought. No need to reenter details, it knows who I am. Obvious security issues, but they seem sound. I walked into sports direct the other day. Found the shoes I wanted, just wanted the size. Sat there like a lemon for twenty minutes, till I ran out of lunchtime and had to leave. Found a pair of hi tech walking boots online, size 3, waterproof, free delivery, £15. Better than sports direct. Few clicks. Delivered promptly and they are fantastic, my youngest loves them.

It will be a revolution to Australia though. If Australia post can't hack it, new entrants will. Lots of small business will go bust. Shopping centres will become morgues. Welcome to the digital revolution Australia. Bit late but hey.

Edited by newjez

I don't think it will happen. If it did I doubt it would be any different to any other online store. I mean eBay offer %20 retailers throughout the year some real bargains sometimes like my TV ;-) I think for a online store to be successful in Oz they will need to be able to offer same day / next day delivery Aussie wide.

If I want something I want it now, not in 7-14 days time and I am prepared ad accept to pay more for it... However I do love a bargain!

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't think it will happen. If it did I doubt it would be any different to any other online store. I mean eBay offer %20 retailers throughout the year some real bargains sometimes like my TV ;-) I think for a online store to be successful in Oz they will need to be able to offer same day / next day delivery Aussie wide.

If I want something I want it now, not in 7-14 days time and I am prepared ad accept to pay more for it... However I do love a bargain!

I understand that and also would love same day/next day delivery but you have to remember we are a huge country. The UK is probably the size of Victoria so there would be no way of getting a same day service unless you lived around the corner from the depot and even then if it's sent via Aus Post you would probably still be looking at 7 days. Hubby sent something express post to Adelaide it took 10 days.

I'm usually happy to have it in ten days, but I want it cheap and delivered free.

I understand that and also would love same day/next day delivery but you have to remember we are a huge country. The UK is probably the size of Victoria so there would be no way of getting a same day service unless you lived around the corner from the depot and even then if it's sent via Aus Post you would probably still be looking at 7 days. Hubby sent something express post to Adelaide it took 10 days.

I'm sure if you want something in Adelaide that Amazon will despatch it from their Adelaide depot not from Cairns and that they'll probably be using couriers rather than Aus Post. The article even mentions plans to have stores to service regional areas but regardless I'm sure that all Capital cities and other high density areas (and the majority of the country's population) will get next day delivery.

I'm sure if you want something in Adelaide that Amazon will despatch it from their Adelaide depot not from Cairns and that they'll probably be using couriers rather than Aus Post. The article even mentions plans to have stores to service regional areas but regardless I'm sure that all Capital cities and other high density areas (and the majority of the country's population) will get next day delivery.
maybe something like this for the remote areas? I've heard they use it in the USA for emergency blood.

http://flyzipline.com/product/

I posted about this over on PIA but not sure its been mentioned here. Anyways

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/amazon-to-destroy-aussie-retail/news-story/eb46ca7590b11ca57d8f430a7ba062d5

It seems to be happening. Its been written about in the past but until now, it hasn't seemed like actually happening.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I want to support Australian businesses etc but often don't buy from them as their websites for online shopping are dire, the service and delivery are slow and the prices are often non existent and you have to message them to enquire the price?! Its very slow here in terms of online shopping thats for sure. And I don't always want to have to travel many KM's to the other end of Adelaide to buy an item so in store shopping isn't really an appeal. And order online, collect instore, I get charged for or the stores I can collect are again a long way away or not somewhere I would normally be going near. All up, rather disappointing shopping wise in many respects.

Amazon could change all that. I used to shop a fair bit on Amazon UK and buy from sellers in their Marketplace too. I'd do so again here. From a consumer POV if its a good price, quick delivery and items are as described, I'll be using it.

Sorry I doubt it, the population size and remoteness of Australia do not make it possible and also the logistics of having items stored locally. I do miss Amazon when I was based in the UK.

I buy supplements and cycling gear from a couple of online stores, based in the US and UK, free shipping(if you get to a minimum value) and my experiences have been faster shipping the local retailers.

Online shopping has the expensive postal cost in Australia, which is why I assume most people are using foreign companies, cheaper and quicker.

Like everyone I will welcome cheaper prices. But I won't cheer the demise of Bing Lee, The Good Guys, Harvey Norman, JB Hifi etc and the local jobs that go as Amazon shifts profits offshore. Yes, somethings are expensive here but it means the people in the shops at least get a living wage. Very mixed feelings about it TBH..

Will not make difference to me I already use Amazon regularly and have done for years. Harvey Norman and other Aus shops need to lift their game. After I bought a 4500 lounge suite and it was delivered in boxes from Harvey Norman and we had to assemble thought b.................. them and that is how I feel. It our retailers want to compete with on line then they need to give us service, assemble furniture etc. Otherwise why not buy on line it comes in boxes anyway.

Like everyone I will welcome cheaper prices. But I won't cheer the demise of Bing Lee, The Good Guys, Harvey Norman, JB Hifi etc and the local jobs that go as Amazon shifts profits offshore. Yes, somethings are expensive here but it means the people in the shops at least get a living wage. Very mixed feelings about it TBH..

I would still shop at Good Guys, HN and other places if they improve their websites and list all prices online rather than contact us for price. Its that haggling thing I guess, the price beating tactics they offer to attract people to buy their goods there. TBH that is not really a big factor in my shopping for electrical items unless its a big saving and often its $20 or so is all. If I want a new washing machine, I'll have done all my research on line and decided on the one I want before I walk into the store. I don't need a sales pitch or anything else, just to be able to buy it. I'd rather do this online and have it delivered than have to go to the store, order it and then have it delivered.

Furniture wise, I'll buy what I actually really like and there isn't really much price beating or doing a deal on say a sofa that is going to persuade me to buy it if I don't like it as much as the one in the store next door that costs a bit more. So list the prices online rather than having to make me go into store or request a price from the website. That way I can browse online, narrow down what I like the look of, see the prices and see if it fits my budget and then next day go try the short list out and spend my money.

Australian online shopping is pretty dire compared to elsewhere. I think Amazon will give it a kick in the backside and make an impact in the market more so than many might expect. We all scoffed at Amazon when they began and people didn't think such a thing would work and within a few years its this huge beast and we can't imagine not having it or using it.

I went back over my online orders on Amazon and I didn't order masses from them over the course of a year. What is clear is that items I could not source locally or if there was a big price difference (say for a book) I would order from them over shopping local or elsewhere. Plus the free shipping and having it within 3-5 working days was always good. So I still shopped locally and supported local businesses but did use Amazon for about a quarter of my gift shopping and reading matter etc.

..........have not used Amazon......

...........not an online shopper TBH.....though not to say the rest of the family isn't.....

...........to me it's a sad sign of the times.......

...........I would rather shop local......yes sometimes it's dearer....

...........but I buy less......not a bad thing IMO.....

...........I support recycling,up cycling..........passing and receiving things no longer needed.....

............we are slowly givving authority to the large companies....

.............filling the world with rubbish,discarded in tips and landfill.....

..............squeezing out the small traders and producers.......

..............and then bemoan the fact of less choice and higher prices.....

..............it may be competitive while there is still a little competition.....

..............but once that is squeezed out........?

..........have not used Amazon......

...........not an online shopper TBH.....though not to say the rest of the family isn't.....

...........to me it's a sad sign of the times.......

...........I would rather shop local......yes sometimes it's dearer....

...........but I buy less......not a bad thing IMO.....

...........I support recycling,up cycling..........passing and receiving things no longer needed.....

............we are slowly givving authority to the large companies....

.............filling the world with rubbish,discarded in tips and landfill.....

..............squeezing out the small traders and producers.......

..............and then bemoan the fact of less choice and higher prices.....

..............it may be competitive while there is still a little competition.....

..............but once that is squeezed out........?

All fair and valid points Tink :)

We have for a long time recycled, upcycled, bought and sold second hand and more. But sometimes you need to buy new for whatever reason and online can be a far more practical and cheaper option than getting in a car, driving half an hour and then spending 2 hours wandering round a mall or stores trying to find what it is you want/need. And still often not being able to find what it is you are after.

I only have to look at the grip and monopoly of Coles and Woolies to see how suffocating its been. I loathe both stores and try to shop local where I can and am glad there are finally other chains expanding and giving shoppers other options. Too long they have held sway and been the big 2, taken over other smaller chains and so on.

I don't think Amazon will signal the demise of the solid Australian companies but what it will do is get them to up their game in terms of online retail, which is sorely lacking. Given how people connect these days with their phones and the digital age is well and truly here, we can't shut the door on it now as the horse has well and truly bolted.

Re the environmental impact, I agree. But we also need our Gov to do away with supporting and pouring money into coal for our energy. And to make solar/renewable more viable and attractive to use. Its woeful here, the state of things re the power the companies have over the Gov and that the Gov continues to support them and plug money into it when it is not the future.

Australian online shopping is pretty dire compared to elsewhere. I think Amazon will give it a kick in the backside and make an impact in the market more so than many might expect.

It will definitely make an impact and will be almost impossible for a local company that pays its taxes onshore and doesn't have the benefit of already being a multi billion dollar enterprise from competing..

C&A was in strife long before Amazon really got going in the UK. Their demise in the UK was sealed before Amazon kicked off.

Somerfield took over Gateways as it was iirc. And in turn that was taken over by other supermarkets as they expanded and took on the older UK ones. Tesco, Sainsbury's Asda and others I am sure played their part there. Waitrose bought out a heap of Somerfields and dragged them into the 21st century. I remember the uproar when Asda was struggling and then taken over by Walmart, as US giant. And now look at it.

Littlewoods was struggling before Amazon iirc.

Many high street retailers were struggling before Amazon took hold tbh. The giant supermarkets that started selling everything from food to booze to clothes to furniture and car insurance helped there. Then it moved online and look what they now offer. All there to go into the virtual shopping basket.

Blockbuster is a sign of the times and how the digital age meant people don't really hire videos anymore like they used to. Many local video (and who then moved into DVD) rental stores shut up shop as people just download these days or buy the DVD as it comes out the same time to buy as to rent. Same with music. No one buys CD's anymore really do they? Sure some do but most people I know download their music these days. iTunes is where I mostly shop for that stuff, not Amazon.

Amazon has played a part in some of those struggling and their demise to some degree for sure. As to how much, hard to know. And if it were not Amazon, then it would have been another company I am sure.

Digital age has changed the retail landscape and will continue to change and shape it for a while yet.

..........I suppose online is the now...!

..........and as those who don't are continually in the minority.....

..........it will become the only way.....

..........I lament the old ways......when you did wander round the shops....

..........choosing and comparing......

...........we have become an impatient world.....

...........with less time and the need to update continually.......

............I don't know as Amazon will improve the retail we have......

............it will only force more to close.....as they can't compete.....

............but as my sons have told me.......I ll have to keep up....

............or be left behind.....

...........No one buys CD's anymore really do they? .............I do....:embarrassed:

Edited by Tink

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Which are the good Amazon alternatives in Sydney?

I am leaving for Australia in 7 days. As an aussie living in England for 20 years it's a hard move but i'm looking forward to being home. I live in North West London and one of the amazon warehouses is near my house. I can get same day delivery on most Amazon Prime products. I appreciate that it has squeezed others out of the market but to do so Amazon has invested heavily in its own logistics platform right from warehouse to customer door. It's the ease of use and good prices which are compelling. I would say that only a few other brands such as Richer Sounds, John Lewis, A&O and a few others come anywhere near. I hope that Amazon bring some of this attention to detail around the total customer experience to Aus, perhaps it will improve the the overall consumer experience offered by other retailers there too! 3 cheers for companies who innovate and improve the customer experience i say.