URGENT! anybody know what needs doing to a caravan to make compliant in Victoria?

99redballs

HI having a stressful time here in QLD with no jobs found after 10 weeks, so we are having to move everything down to sunny warm Melbourne!:huh:

we have also shipping over a caravan and we looked for months about how to get it compliant in QLD , but ow we are going to VIC, we have to register it there as they have different regs! helpful! not!

does anyone have any knowledge of caravan regulations that my caravan needs done to make it compliant?

we are going we can get a temp licence to be about to tow it , if not, how much are the fines?

Is there a local Department of Transport in both states that can assist - or even try a caravan sales company - surely they should know what it takes in their own state to make their caravans compliant?

I wouldn't have thought there is too much in it - because there isn't that much I'm aware of with cars - i.e. most cars are compliant in each state of Australia (hope I'm right on that).

Good luck finding jobs - hope all goes well.

hubby is a printer, I've just found out that he has got the job he has gone down to do a trial at, so we are deffo going now. just me that has to find a job, i haven't worked for anyone in 16 years , so nobody is either willing to give me a chance, or that the job market is very bad, or that my cv is rubbish. probably all of the above.

I worked for myself as an eyelash technician and i also used to have a cup cake business.

Hi 99, I'm a VASS engineer in Melbourne and have done a couple of caravans for people. The main things you need are a 50mm towing coupling that has the ECE R55 markings which will be "B50-X" and a D rating of 14 (2000kg) or 20 (3500kg). You will need a set or 'rated' chains on the drawbar to match the weight of the caravan. If you have any internal gas cooking then you need a gas certificate, if you have any 240V electricity then you need an electricians certificate. You then need to have all the external, front and rear lights checked for compliance and then a "used trailer" compliance plate fitted which also has the tyre ratings included.

PM me if you need any help or you want a quick assessment of what you've got. I'm in Vermont in Melbourne.

Regards, Blake.

Thanks for your reply Arrows, my husband was trying to find the safety chain info yesterday in case it varied state to state. He found this article from May of this year regarding the legal requirement for rated shackles on caravans after looking on Vicroads and getting no firm info. https://www.caravanworld.com.au/news/1605/rated-shackles-not-legally-required-for-towing. The article says Vicroads only recommend rated shackles but as long as the 'van has a manufacturers fitted safety device (ours has the U.K standard steel cable) then all's good. This has only served to confuse us further....... Any thoughts?

Its not so much the rated shackles, which are just the end connectors to the vehicle its the connecting chains that are rated and have a stamped marking on the chain links themselves. What most places don't give you is the information that all trailers have to be built to the Canberra regulation of VSB1. I'll try and send you that from the PM.