So Brexit now needs parliamentary approval?

srg73

bit of both methinks. But the UK was NEVER going to join the euro thank God. Why any nation would subject themselves to slavery under Germany is beyond me. But what May says that no deal is better than a bad deal is wrong. No deal is a bad deal. And it's not even a bluff. Everyone knows this. By adopting this line, with ratification from both houses of parliament, it's most likely that we will end up staying with a hung government in disarray. I'm not confident of the state of things in two years time. Cunning plan my arse.

No, we'll be out whatever happens, both houses of parliament will get a vote on the deal, but if they say no then we will be leaving without a deal, the vote will be, take the deal and leave, or just leave.

No, we'll be out whatever happens, both houses of parliament will get a vote on the deal, but if they say no then we will be leaving without a deal, the vote will be, take the deal and leave, or just leave.
no, it is open to interpretation as to whether article 50 can be revoked. If it's a cliff edge or staying, it will be a very close thing. I don't think you can rule out anything at this stage.

[h=1]EU needs us for jobs more than we need them, new report finds[/h]

Kate Ferguson, Press Association

The EU is more dependent on Britain for its jobs than vice versa, a new report has found.

Some 5.8 million positions in the bloc are linked to trade with the UK, compared with 3.6 million jobs nationally tied to the European union, according to analysis by Civitas.

The think-tank said the findings show the EU has far more to lose than Britain if it imposes trade barriers between the UK and the single market following Brexit.

The report, entitled UK-EU trade and jobs linked to exports, found that all but five of the 27 EU members have more jobs riding on exports to Britain than Britain has on exports to those countries.

The study also found every single member state has a higher proportion of its job market at stake in the forthcoming Brexit negotiations than the UK does with that country.

Civitas research fellow Justin Protts, who conducted the analysis, said: “Each of the remaining EU countries has a higher proportion of their workforce employed in jobs that rely on UK trade than the UK has with that EU country.

“Based on the potential impact on jobs, each EU country should be aware of the significant economic benefit in terms of jobs stemming from trade with the UK.”

Germany, often dubbed Europe’s engine, has an estimated 1.3 million jobs, 3.2% of the country’s positions, linked to exports to the UK.

In Britain there are 800,000 jobs tied to exports to Germany, the equivalent of 2.4% of UK jobs.

Smaller countries are particularly reliant on trade with the UK, with the number of jobs tied to it standing at 9.5% in Ireland, 9% in Malta and 8.8% in Cyprus.

Only five – Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Luxembourg and Malta – have fewer jobs linked to UK trade than vice versa. But as a proportion of their jobs market they are also more dependent on UK trade market than the UK is on them.

The analysis also reveals that UK exports to the EU have been in decline, falling from 50% of all exports in 2005 to 42% in 2015.

And the report warned that if the EU continues to fail to strike up major new trade deals and the UK is successful in negotiating new trading relations elsewhere in the world then this rate of decline could steepen.

Mr Protts said: “The EU does arguably have to negotiate as a bloc. However, each of the 27 remaining national governments should be negotiating in the interests of those that democratically elected them.

“The EU, overall, has a net of 2.2 million more jobs linked to UK trade and the Eurozone is still struggling with a highly unbalanced economy and fragile recovery following the 2008 crisis.

“In addition to that, with the fall in the value of the pound, the UK has an increased competitive advantage which will allow it to do more to help UK business export outside the EU which can help offset exposure to a change in trading terms.

“The EU does not have such a luxury.”

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/eu-needs-us-jobs-need-new-report-finds/

EU needs us for jobs more than we need them, new report finds

The EU is more dependent on Britain for its jobs than vice versa, a new report has found.

Some 5.8 million positions in the bloc are linked to trade with the UK, compared with 3.6 million jobs nationally tied to the European union, according to analysis by Civitas.

The think-tank said the findings show the EU has far more to lose than Britain if it imposes trade barriers between the UK and the single market following Brexit.

The report, entitled UK-EU trade and jobs linked to exports, found that all but five of the 27 EU members have more jobs riding on exports to Britain than Britain has on exports to those countries.

The study also found every single member state has a higher proportion of its job market at stake in the forthcoming Brexit negotiations than the UK does with that country.

Civitas research fellow Justin Protts, who conducted the analysis, said: “Each of the remaining EU countries has a higher proportion of their workforce employed in jobs that rely on UK trade than the UK has with that EU country.

“Based on the potential impact on jobs, each EU country should be aware of the significant economic benefit in terms of jobs stemming from trade with the UK.”

Germany, often dubbed Europe’s engine, has an estimated 1.3 million jobs, 3.2% of the country’s positions, linked to exports to the UK.

In Britain there are 800,000 jobs tied to exports to Germany, the equivalent of 2.4% of UK jobs.

Smaller countries are particularly reliant on trade with the UK, with the number of jobs tied to it standing at 9.5% in Ireland, 9% in Malta and 8.8% in Cyprus.

Only five – Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Luxembourg and Malta – have fewer jobs linked to UK trade than vice versa. But as a proportion of their jobs market they are also more dependent on UK trade market than the UK is on them.

The analysis also reveals that UK exports to the EU have been in decline, falling from 50% of all exports in 2005 to 42% in 2015.

And the report warned that if the EU continues to fail to strike up major new trade deals and the UK is successful in negotiating new trading relations elsewhere in the world then this rate of decline could steepen.

Mr Protts said: “The EU does arguably have to negotiate as a bloc. However, each of the 27 remaining national governments should be negotiating in the interests of those that democratically elected them.

“The EU, overall, has a net of 2.2 million more jobs linked to UK trade and the Eurozone is still struggling with a highly unbalanced economy and fragile recovery following the 2008 crisis.

“In addition to that, with the fall in the value of the pound, the UK has an increased competitive advantage which will allow it to do more to help UK business export outside the EU which can help offset exposure to a change in trading terms.

It must be quite a relief that only 3.6 million jobs are at risk in the UK.

no, it is open to interpretation as to whether article 50 can be revoked. If it's a cliff edge or staying, it will be a very close thing. I don't think you can rule out anything at this stage.

It's not a matter of whether article 50 can be revoked, that's not what the vote will be for, the question will not be in or out, it will be, out with the deal or out without it, the option of staying in won't be offered.

It's not a matter of whether article 50 can be revoked, that's not what the vote will be for, the question will not be in or out, it will be, out with the deal or out without it, the option of staying in won't be offered.

Absolutely right. This is why many members of Parliament were asking to be kept abreast of negotiations as they know that the vote would be a rubber-stamping job as there will simply be no alternative.

you posted ........And did I miss the bit where she promised all the billions we save by leaving the EU is going to go to the NHS

Stop shouting at me and try to apply some semblance of intellect just because you dislike any contrary views doesn't make yours dominant, do you understand the concept of sarcasm and irony, that was what my comment was, I was asking where was the reference to that in her speech on Tuesday as it seemed to be the major rationale for leaving the EU, that and controlling immigration which was a major part of the speech.

You can shout all you like but it won't alter the fact that this is going to be the most disastrous period for this country ever, we have been in decline ever since the second world war, lurching from financial crisis to financial crisis as the aristocracy and nouveau riche have ripped this country off to line their pockets and try to re establish their dominance and the EU was a barrier to that.

Well all of us serfs, including your good self are going to be lining up in orderly rows to ceremonially bend over for them now, if they go for making us a tax haven for multi nationals who do you think is going to be making up the tax shortfall, us the poor bloody infantry, the jobs that will come with these firms, if there are any as they may just have a head office in some Soho basement, are going to be zero hours, minimum wage.

Without the protections of the EU employment regulations workers here are going to be the same as in the US, don't you realise that is what big business wants, the working man in this country had better get used to having his trousers round his ankles because that is where he's going to be wearing them in 5 years time.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 1

EU needs us for jobs more than we need them, new report finds

As a poster pointed out, only 1.1% of the EU population is affected whereas 5.5% of the uk population is affected, puts it into perspective.

Stop shouting at me and try to apply some semblance of intellect just because you dislike any contrary views doesn't make yours dominant, do you understand the concept of sarcasm and irony, that was what my comment was, I was asking where was the reference to that in her speech on Tuesday as it seemed to be the major rationale for leaving the EU, that and controlling immigration which was a major part of the speech.

You can shout all you like but it won't alter the fact that this is going to be the most disastrous period for this country ever, we have been in decline ever since the second world war, lurching from financial crisis to financial crisis as the aristocracy and nouveau riche have ripped this country off to line their pockets and try to re establish their dominance and the EU was a barrier to that.

Well all of us serfs, including your good self are going to be lining up in orderly rows to ceremonially bend over for them now, if they go for making us a tax haven for multi nationals who do you think is going to be making up the tax shortfall, us the poor bloody infantry, the jobs that will come with these firms, if there are any as they may just have a head office in some Soho basement, are going to be zero hours, minimum wage.

Without the protections of the EU employment regulations workers here are going to be the same as in the US, don't you realise that is what big business wants, the working man in this country had better get used to having his trousers round his ankles because that is where he's going to be wearing them in 5 years time.

May voted to stay in the EU, you said that she was the one who said that all the money saved would go to the NHS, read your post. She never said that at all and one was of the ones who belittled boris and gove in the run ​up to the vote.

May voted to stay in the EU, you said that she was the one who said that all the money saved would go to the NHS, read your post. She never said that at all and one was of the ones who belittled boris and gove in the run ​up to the vote.

I was referring to her speech on Tuesday not to any comments she made during the campaign, even this left wing numpty realised that Mrs May was on the stay side (nominally) although she said very little and promptly dropped her principles, pulled on her leather trousers and became an ardent brexiteer when the big job became available on bargain basement terms.

Just seen the 'usual suspects' on tv saying how every country is lining up to do trade deals with the UK and Bojo back in India, I think, saying pretty much the same, well of course we can have trade deals with all these countries just so long as we don't want anything out of them, but as India got huffy when May mentioned a deal when she was there and the Indians said they wanted a substantial increase in migration visas to the UK that seems like it might be one trade deal that takes some time and more finess than Liam Fox has ever shown.

Headlines, apparently parchment makers are moving 1000 barmen out of the UK and over to Paris.

Devasting news. How will we cope?

Especially as the UK will need loads of parchment to record new laws as they overturn or replace EU legislation ( yes they still record acts of Parliament on it as it lasts longer than anything else yet invented). Also with no barmen how will they drown their sorrows when it all goes pear shaped? Just like BoJo's book of "how to win friends and influence people".

The GBP more easily characterised as a twitching corpse. How stupid are their readers?

But thanks for sharing this comic. Gave me a good laugh this morning.

You maybe laughing but unfortunately I have to live with it, when I get my Guardian there is usually a pile of 3 sometimes 4,, there is usually alongside an 18 inch high pile of Expresses and 2 similar piles of Daily Wails.

You maybe laughing but unfortunately I have to live with it, when I get my Guardian there is usually a pile of 3 sometimes 4,, there is usually alongside an 18 inch high pile of Expresses and 2 similar piles of Daily Wails.
oh course, the real irony is that the express readers can't stand the daily mail readers

Here's something you won't read in the mail or express

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-nissan-idUKKBN1541T3

Here's something you won't read in the mail or express

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-nissan-idUKKBN1541T3

I was rather hoping that I wouldn't be reading something like that, I was hoping that I was being Mr doom and gloom but my worst fears seem to be coming around, well better get my head round moving towards London because that's the only place where there will be any money.

Headlines, apparently parchment makers are moving 1000 barmen out of the UK and over to Paris.

Devasting news. How will we cope?

Good job I am NOW an assistant manager of a hotel restaurant then , most probably on a salary you could never command in the UK...:cute:

15230579_10209575347413333_3321033550125724407_n.jpg?oh=9b334be46c88387714ea9520ef9ddd42&oe=59227488

Edited by Perthbum