UK Electrician in NSW

HKRob

Currently in Australia on a WHV and my partner has been offered sponsorship in rural NSW. I'm a qualified Sparky in the UK and although I want to retire and surf everyday, I've been told were only staying if I transfer my skills over.

So after doing some research, I seem to be going from Fair Trade NSW website back to TRA website. If anybody has been through the process and has any tips, it would be appreciated.

Sparkys and plumbers have it quite tough in relation to licencing. UK licenecing isnt really accepted here which is frustarting if youve done the skills assesment to get a visa. You will find some companys may take you on as a side hand whilst you get the NSW licence sorted, but wages will be less and there doesnt seem to be a way to avoid a few college sessions /night school classes.

This link should explain a lot more -

- http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Tradespeople/Home_building_licensing/Licence_classes_and_qualifications/Electrical.page

Cal x

Have a look at future skills international. I sat my exam with them in Brisbane. At a total cost of around $2000. You need to have an NVQ 3 and am2 with at least 2 years post apprenticeship experience before you are eligible to sit the exam. Once completed you can apply for a provisional license and also have that assessment towards a resident visa or sponsorship. It took me about 7 months of prep with documents and actually sitting the exam so if your running out of time then start thinking about it

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Have a look at future skills international. I sat my exam with them in Brisbane. At a total cost of around $2000. You need to have an NVQ 3 and am2 with at least 2 years post apprenticeship experience before you are eligible to sit the exam. Once completed you can apply for a provisional license and also have that assessment towards a resident visa or sponsorship. It took me about 7 months of prep with documents and actually sitting the exam so if your running out of time then start thinking about it

Hi mate, got my assessment with future skills in Brisbane tomorrow. Can you shed any light on the connect and disconnect poredure that we have to do??

any help much appreciated

thanks

Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here

*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.

*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)

*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)

*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.

*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.

*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)

supervised workers licence $226

Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week

Future skills cert 3 $50

LEP course around $450 3days.

LEPExam $275

LET course around $480 4days.

LET Exam $95

You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time

AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

AGENT I USED GOOD FOR TRADES PEOPLE

http://www.arriveaustralia.com.au

• 5 months later...
On 26/02/2017 at 05:21, Eltonb said:

Hi guys and girls

This is a post of my experience of becoming licensed in Victoria this can also help if you are looking to live in and other state

When I came to Auz I came on a working holiday visa had no info on how to become qualified and licensed here so just had to roll with it hoping I would find the correct information but it was very hard to find.

I tried the ARTC but messed the application trying to do it myself by not collecting good references from past employers ect so it was declined but the whole process is now scrapped.

The OTSR is the only path to start the licence process (as far as i am aware)

Here is what I did step by step in Melbourne to gain my cert 3 and AGRADE licence, in other states the process it the same minus the licence exams: LET & LEP.

*Do an OTSR with future skills in the UK before you come out. You can do it in Australia(I did this) but I would advise to do it in the UK so you are ready to rock when you get here

*When you get here get your supervised workers licence from energy safe - you need a job to get this.

*Do your gap training (Kangan institute if you are in Melbourne)

*Work for 12 months and complete e-profiling(online work experience logger)

*In that 12 months do the LET+LEP licence exams - If you are in Melbourne.

*Once your e-profile is complete apply to the institute where you did your gap training to give you a statement on attainment then contact future skills to give you your cert 3.

*Apply to licensing body - If you are in Melbourne it is energy safe Victoria. To get your A-Grade electrical licence you need cert 3, LET, LEP and a letter from your boss saying you have worked for 12 months doing electrical installation wiring work to gain this licence.

Hope this can help anybody out there as I would hate for anyone to go through it the way I did learning as I go. If anyone genuinely wants my help and is 100% set on moving here feel free to contact me and I will give you my email and number to help you with the whole process.thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif GOOD LUCK

Costs (VICTORIA)

supervised workers licence $226

Gap training $2400 2days a week for 5 week

Future skills cert 3 $50

LEP course around $450 3days.

LEPExam $275

LET course around $480 4days.

LET Exam $95

You can also get private tuition also i did this for the LET and can pass the guys number on if you private message me as the refresher course was a waste of time

AGRADE application $275

Not sure of OTSR as my migration agent did all my paperwork and can't remember what i payed

AGENT I USED GOOD FOR TRADES PEOPLE

http://www.arriveaustralia.com.au

Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I still currently run my own NIC EIC APPROVED electrical company here and have done for over ten years now, but I am 100 % serious in coming over.  Don't get me wrong I'm earning good money here, but I do long for a lifestyle change with a better climate instead of working all hours, pricing and doing paperwork all night.. if I'm honest I don't want the stress no more and want to spend as much quality time with my wife/children as I can while they are young.

This time next year we have planned to sell up our property we have here and also start the visa application.  It's not going to be rushed as I'm giving myself time to take as much ££££ with me, as I want to enable us to buy the property we've longed for.  I'm probably going to come out alone for the first month or so to try and secure a job, that's if I'm successful!  (Before dragging my wife and 3 children over here).

I must say, this thread is by far the most helpful I've read for people like myself who are looking for the correct procedure in becoming an Agrade electrician so I thank you for that !!!

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia? Is that true or can you do the theory part to it in UK? (And just do the logbook part in Aus?).

Can you advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated!  

Sorry for all the questions by the way!  Just want as much info as possible prior to jumping ship 

Many thanks 

Jason ?

17 minutes ago, Jason Davis said:

Hi there

I'm a 32 year old fully qualified electrician from Wales U.K. and have decided after years of talk to move to Queensland with my wife and 3 children. I still currently run my own NIC EIC APPROVED electrical company here and have done for over ten years now, but I am 100 % serious in coming over.  Don't get me wrong I'm earning good money here, but I do long for a lifestyle change with a better climate instead of working all hours, pricing and doing paperwork all night.. if I'm honest I don't want the stress no more and want to spend as much quality time with my wife/children as I can while they are young.

This time next year we have planned to sell up our property we have here and also start the visa application.  It's not going to be rushed as I'm giving myself time to take as much ££££ with me, as I want to enable us to buy the property we've longed for.  I'm probably going to come out alone for the first month or so to try and secure a job, that's if I'm successful!  (Before dragging my wife and 3 children over here).

I must say, this thread is by far the most helpful I've read for people like myself who are looking for the correct procedure in becoming an Agrade electrician so I thank you for that !!!

I understand that you can only do gap training in Australia? Is that true or can you do the theory part to it in UK? (And just do the logbook part in Aus?).

Can you advise the best way to approach/contact possible employers either it be through an agency or either by turning up and talking to them face to face when I'm in the area? Any help would be so much appreciated!  

Sorry for all the questions by the way!  Just want as much info as possible prior to jumping ship 

Many thanks 

Jason ?

First, there is little point is asking someone from Vic about it if you intend to move to QLD. Totally different licensing - about the same as wanting to know about becoming a sparky in the UK and asking a Romanian. Each state has its own regulations. 

Second, there is no way you should sell your home before you have a visa. The regulations can and do change all the time and can be retrospective - so even after applying, a regulation can change resulting in no longer being eligible  

generally employers aren't interested until you are in the country with a visa to work. The main job site is seek.com.au  But concentrate on the visa first  

Once you have a visa and arrive, you need to have enough funds to keep you going for 3 months as a minimum and preferably six months while you find work  

You do realise that people generally work longer hours and have less annual leave in Oz?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

First, there is little point is asking someone from Vic about it if you intend to move to QLD. Totally different licensing - about the same as wanting to know about becoming a sparky in the UK and asking a Romanian. Each state has its own regulations. 

Second, there is no way you should sell your home before you have a visa. The regulations can and do change all the time and can be retrospective - so even after applying, a regulation can change resulting in no longer being eligible  

generally employers aren't interested until you are in the country with a visa to work. The main job site is seek.com.au  But concentrate on the visa first  

Once you have a visa and arrive, you need to have enough funds to keep you going for 3 months as a minimum and preferably six months while you find work  

You do realise that people generally work longer hours and have less annual leave in Oz?

I understand that each state is different but this is the best thread I've seen which gives you the step by step guide in what you need to do before and when you get there.. obviously the gap training would be the only thing different depending on what state you live?

We have 4 properties to sell here before coming but I'm keeping one  as an investment property.  I'm selling up regardless because if for any reason I wasn't eligible I want to cash in on the funds to start new building as a backup, but its also something I enjoy.  Selling properties takes time so I want to get things rolling sooner rather than later.  Either way I have a plan. We are going to be using a registered migration agent so I'm hoping this will take some of the stress away.

Yes Ive read that people work the hours. I don't mind that.  All I look forward to is not having to run a company with all the stress that comes with it.  At the moment I have 4 vehicles on the road and I'm non stop, even when I'm home doing paperwork for hours.  Just want change ?

I've heard that it's easier to get work in NSW as a sparkie as you can work unlicensed ?

many thanks 

Jason

Edited by Jason Davis

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Really dont no why you would be telling someone this bull very stormy you are way off about the whole uk romania thing.

Its not that diffrent from state to state!!!!!! 

Also dont no where you are working but my life here much easier than the uk dont work half as hard the regs and sites are not as strict as in the uk 

Are you even from the uk and have you been through the whole license process? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eltonb said:

Really dont no why you would be telling someone this bull very stormy you are way off about the whole uk romania thing.

Its not that diffrent from state to state!!!!!! 

Also dont no where you are working but my life here much easier than the uk dont work half as hard the regs and sites are not as strict as in the uk 

Are you even from the uk and have you been through the whole license process? 

Glad to see this reply, was starting to get disheartened from the negative vibe from the earlier thread.. ?

Its a big thing migrating, especially when your taking your wife and 3 children with you.. a lot rests on your shoulders and you want to succeed.  I only want advice from someone who's been through the process TBH as only they are able to explain it as they have first hand experience.

Im still at the very early stages as I've got a lot to sort before going, closing the business, selling property etc..  I'm gathering as much info prior to the move as poss so I'm totally prepared.  How long before would I need to sort the OTSR? Once done does it run out after a certain amount of time?

thanks again 

Jason

hi jason

i done mine last year.. electrician (general ) 189 visa.. 25 at time of application. get onto the DOWN UNDER CENTRE in london for a skills assessment (OTSR) ( they are alot better than vetasses and alot easier to get hold of). they will want everything you have in proof of quals and experience, apprenticeship certs etc etc, expect them to ask for the colour of your undies.. the skills assessment isnt much to worry about. domestic board and setup with a theory exam. the hardest part is getting to that point with the paperwork. OTSR lasts 2 years i think. if you havent thought about a migration agent then for the peace of mind its well worth the money. 

2 hours ago, Liam13 said:

hi jason

i done mine last year.. electrician (general ) 189 visa.. 25 at time of application. get onto the DOWN UNDER CENTRE in london for a skills assessment (OTSR) ( they are alot better than vetasses and alot easier to get hold of). they will want everything you have in proof of quals and experience, apprenticeship certs etc etc, expect them to ask for the colour of your undies.. the skills assessment isnt much to worry about. domestic board and setup with a theory exam. the hardest part is getting to that point with the paperwork. OTSR lasts 2 years i think. if you havent thought about a migration agent then for the peace of mind its well worth the money. 

Thank's for the reply Liam!

I've got all my Certs and documents there ready to rock ?..

We will definitely be getting a migration agent.  I spoke with an electrician last night from Aus who was good enough to answer a lot of my questions about the process etc.. He said his agent was great and even organised all the Gap training too which sounded good. 

I may contact the down under centre today to get some info ?

What part of Aus are you in if you don't mind me asking? And how hard did you find it getting employed?

cheers

Jason

sounds like your on the right road.. me and the mrs live in perth with our adopted husky jazz :-D. was quite hard not being licensed to be fair. like most i dont really have a good word to say about the gap training as its frustrating and makes life hard to find work as a "trade assistant".. luckily enough once i was licensed i managed to get a full time position working in the mines on a 2 week on 1 week off gig. currently enjoying my week off :-) 

13 minutes ago, Liam13 said:

sounds like your on the right road.. me and the mrs live in perth with our adopted husky jazz :-D. was quite hard not being licensed to be fair. like most i dont really have a good word to say about the gap training as its frustrating and makes life hard to find work as a "trade assistant".. luckily enough once i was licensed i managed to get a full time position working in the mines on a 2 week on 1 week off gig. currently enjoying my week off :-) 

There seems to be a lot of work out there in the mines..  I suppose you've just got to get out there and be persistent! Ideally I'd like to work and live in QLD but I'm seeing a lot of jobs which advertise overseas qualified in NSW. I'm assuming it's easier to get work there than other states?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Elton, please could we get in contact.

It would make such a huge difference to me to talk through everything, as I have moved over to Australia and am now finding everything so frustrating and difficult as an Electrician trying to convert my UK licence into an Australian A Grade licence.

I have been advised by Down Under Centre in the UK about the whole process. I obtained my OTSR before I moved over.

I have now paid for the theory modules of the Gap training and I am doing these online with MRAEL.

I have also paid ATTC (Queensland) to do the eProfiling stuff, and I am under the impression that I have to do this "Capstone" exam in Queensland once the theory AND eProfiling are done. Any help or advice or pointing in the right direction would be MASSIVELY.... IMMENSELY appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

• 2 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:01, lesleybruck said:

Hubby has restricted licence in qld but want to move to wa, did the exam but failed one part is it best to resist in qld or wait until in wa can you transfer restricted licence?

Don't know the answer re transfer of his licence - but - can he just sit the part he failed in QLD? If he has to do the whole test again - are they the same price in WA? I'd go for the cheapest option.  

• 9 months later...
On 01/08/2017 at 16:44, Liam13 said:

sounds like your on the right road.. me and the mrs live in perth with our adopted husky jazz :-D. was quite hard not being licensed to be fair. like most i dont really have a good word to say about the gap training as its frustrating and makes life hard to find work as a "trade assistant".. luckily enough once i was licensed i managed to get a full time position working in the mines on a 2 week on 1 week off gig. currently enjoying my week off 🙂

Hi Liam, 

Looking for a bit of advice. I am living in NSW i have complete OTSR etc etc. Now for the gap training. Now i am looking for a company who can get me through this as quickly as possible as you know a TA does not earn great money. Could you advise on any colleges who would be willing to push me through this. The whole process is very frustrating.....