Flights to Europe

flossybeth

I mostly read the MBTTUK posts (although we have no intention of moving back) and one of the reasons people often cite as a draw is the proximity of Europe and the cheap flights. I understand nothing has really happened yet in regards to Britain choosing to leave the EU but when it does do you think the cheap flights will continue or will there be an added cost with them becoming 'international flights' rather than a hop across to France/Germany etc, Will people be put off by passport and border restrictions being re-introduced?

I mostly read the MBTTUK posts (although we have no intention of moving back) and one of the reasons people often cite as a draw is the proximity of Europe and the cheap flights. I understand nothing has really happened yet in regards to Britain choosing to leave the EU but when it does do you think the cheap flights will continue or will there be an added cost with them becoming 'international flights' rather than a hop across to France/Germany etc, Will people be put off by passport and border restrictions being re-introduced?
Tbh I've never seen a cheap flight. I think those things are for people without school aged children. But in answer to your question, if the exchange rate doesn't pick up we may lose a low cost airline, several are in trouble. So I imagine it will depend on that. Cheaper to holiday in the UK atm. Cornwall will be busy this summer. Edited by newjez

Guest RadiantRed

I agree! I have not encountered cheap flights right now bound to Europe. I would love visiting the place but I only see expensive flights. I also knew it's difficult to stay in Europe beyond 90 days as a tourists. There are so many visa rules that I heard.

I agree! I have not encountered cheap flights right now bound to Europe. I would love visiting the place but I only see expensive flights. I also knew it's difficult to stay in Europe beyond 90 days as a tourists. There are so many visa rules that I heard.

The OP is referring to cheap flights from the UK to Europe and currently for British citizens there are no visa requirements.

Generally if you can be very flexible you can get a flight to most European cities for around £30.

You can get cheap flights with people like easyjet - well under £30 one way and sometimes a lot less. A friend just went to Paris for £1 with a Ryan Air special offer.

Will it change? I don't think so. I also doubt there will be much in the way of restrictions as there were no visas needed prior to joining the EU and I imagine countries such as Spain will not want to introduce them after Brexit.

There are also cheap flights available to none EU countries. For example, I can get a New York flight for just over 200 return.

• 1 month later...
Tbh I've never seen a cheap flight. I think those things are for people without school aged children. But in answer to your question, if the exchange rate doesn't pick up we may lose a low cost airline, several are in trouble. So I imagine it will depend on that. Cheaper to holiday in the UK atm. Cornwall will be busy this summer.

By comparison I've seen loads of cheap flights. Especially with Ryanscare over the years. I remember we snared 1p flights albeit that was about 6 years ago. Definitely not at peak times and during school holidays tho. If you have the flexibility to fly when you wish, there are cheap ones to be found. Although, what do people consider cheap these days?

Tbh I've never seen a cheap flight. I think those things are for people without school aged children. But in answer to your question, if the exchange rate doesn't pick up we may lose a low cost airline, several are in trouble. So I imagine it will depend on that. Cheaper to holiday in the UK atm. Cornwall will be busy this summer.

Didn't work out that cheaply for my daughter to fly from Rome to Manchester - I naively thought It would only cost a few pounds hearing on here how cheap it is

Didn't work out that cheaply for my daughter to fly from Rome to Manchester - I naively thought It would only cost a few pounds hearing on here how cheap it is

Totally depends on when you fly and how far in advance you book. We flew Rome to Edinburgh a few years ago for £19.99. I don't know if everyone would consider that cheap however, down to interpretation.

ps I love your signature!

Edited by Guest

Totally depends on when you fly and how far in advance you book. We flew Rome to Edinburgh a few years ago for £19.99. I don't know if everyone would consider that cheap however, down to interpretation.

!

I agree. Flights to Europe are not cheap across the board, but there are good deals to be had if you book at the right time, during a sale, far enough in advance etc. I thought much the same as for domestic Australia flights, we picked up some good deals from time to time there too.

• 2 weeks later...

Before we came to Oz we lived in Marbella, and I got a flight from Ryanair once for €1 to Liverpool, and once I even got one for €0 with a €6 booking fee.

By far the funniest flight I ever took was with Ryanair. I was on my own, so got on the plane last. As I was queuing up, there was a young lady trying to get on, but she fell foul of their hand luggage rules, she had a bottle of Vodka. It put her just over weight for hand luggage so they wanted €40 to put it in the hold. She didn't have it, so being a gentleman, although I didn't know her, I offered to pay it for her. She declined my offer, and proceeded to drink it!

Anyway, I got on, and seat 1B was empty,.........sort of. There was a bag of sandwiches on it belonging to the man in seat 1A. So I asked him very kindly to move them, he very rudely refused, telling me that he had paid extra to get on first, so I would have to sit somewhere, in fact anywhere else. He was rather rude about it, so I pressed the call button, the stewardess came, and basically told him to move his sandwiches or pay for a seat for them!

So I sat down, and he just started moaning and generally going on, so much so that the chap in seat 1C moved, he said, "I am not listening to you all the way to Liverpool," so, suddenly I had an empty seat next to me.

Anyway, enter stage left aforementioned young lady, by now, a bottle of Vodka to the good, so, again, being a gentleman, I offered her my seat, and moved to seat 1C. She was very grateful; told me I was a gent.

Just as we took off she turned to the chap in 1A to say what a nice man I was, but, tragically, the Vodka got the better of her, and she threw up over him, and even funnier, over his sandwiches.

Edited by The Fisheys

Before we came to Oz we lived in Marbella, and I got a flight from Ryanair once for €1 to Liverpool, and once I even got one for €0 with a €6 booking fee.

By far the funniest flight I ever took was with Ryanair. I was on my own, so got on the plane last. As I was queuing up, there was a young lady trying to get on, but she fell foul of their hand luggage rules, she had a bottle of Vodka. It put her just over weight for hand luggage so they wanted €40 to put it in the hold. She didn't have it, so being a gentleman, although I didn't know her, I offered to pay it for her. She declined my offer, and proceeded to drink it!

Anyway, I got on, and seat 1B was empty,.........sort of. There was a bag of sandwiches on it belonging to the man in seat 1A. So I asked him very kindly to move them, he very rudely refused, telling me that he had paid extra to get on first, so I would have to sit somewhere, in fact anywhere else. He was rather rude about it, so I pressed the call button, the stewardess came, and basically told him to move his sandwiches or pay for a seat for them!

So I sat down, and he just started moaning and generally going on, so much so that the chap in seat 1C moved, he said, "I am not listening to you all the way to Liverpool," so, suddenly I had an empty seat next to me.

Anyway, enter stage left aforementioned young lady, by now, a bottle of Vodka to the good, so, again, being a gentleman, I offered her my seat, and moved to seat 1C. She was very grateful; told me I was a gent.

Just as we took off she turned to the chap in 1A to say what a nice man I was, but, tragically, the Vodka got the better of her, and she threw up over him, and even funnier, over his sandwiches.

Shame there's still no 'Like' button - because I really liked that story! :-)