Advice on where to start my years WHV!

Broadhurst4

Hi guys, me and my girlfriend are travelling to Australia from England late Feb early march 2017 to begin our 1 year working holiday, we had agreed on flying into Melbourne and staying there for a week, maybe 2 just to find our feet and be "tourists"

We are looking for mainly regional work, farm work, fruit/veg picking or anything of this sort of work, but upon reading a little deeper, Melbourne does not seem to offer much of this so was wondering if anyone had any tips of where to go a little further inland or even further south to find more this type of work.

i was considering Adelaide but this seems a little to secluded but I'm open to anything at this stage.

we plan on working up the east coast and seeing how far we get!

any information would be much appreciated guys :smile:

thanks

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom - my husband and I currently live in Victoria and have been here just over 9 years in regional Victoria (Bendigo) - we love it. Around our area and across there are many vineyards so it's worth thinking about - if you want to stay in Victoria exploring local wineries and when they need pickers/packers? Our daughter is coming out mid-2017 on a WHV like you and we've started talking to our local contacts about possible on the land work for 3 months for her and there seems to be a fair amount. Not Melbourne but about 1.5 hours away .... Just a thought!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys, me and my girlfriend are travelling to Australia from England late Feb early march 2017 to begin our 1 year working holiday, we had agreed on flying into Melbourne and staying there for a week, maybe 2 just to find our feet and be "tourists"

Being a tourist is good. But you should be able to pick up hospitality work like barman or waitress in Melbourne too, as loads of eateries.

Have you done fruit picking before Tom? Just a word of warning : it is bloody hard work. Especially if outside in 35 - 45C heat with limited shelter. But if you get a good gig, it can be fun. Although some places will treat you badly: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/08/18/4069296.htm

There is quite a lot of competition for jobs between locals and travellers too. I have friends who have picked grapes in Mildura, tomatoes in Bundaberg, apples in Tasmania, mangoes in Darwin and bananas in Tully. So certainly lots of variety to go round. I remember them saying that Tully was the worst, due to the snake infestation factor.

Have you considered a Farmstay? You don't get paid, but you do get room and food: http://www.workstay.com.au/backpackers-volunteer-wwoof.htm

Edited by wigglingwombat

If you are hoping to rely on farm work to support your trip I'd be wary. Its not well paid, sporadic and seasonal in many places.

Most people on a WHV use it to gain the 3 months regional work for their second year WHV. I don't know anyone who has stuck to that sort of work for their entire stay. Its often backbreaking in hot conditions in rural parts of Australia.

Melbourne won't have farm work. You need to look more rural into the country. You could probably find casual work in Melbourne though.

I'd rethink the plan to do farm work only while travelling Aus. If you've got savings and want to get your second year WHV then get the 3 months in and out the way and signed off on. Then do other work if you can or use the farm work to see a few of the more far flung places but don't expect it to be massively appealing or enjoyable.

Adelaide is decent if you want farm work but it will depend on the time of year as to what is being harvested. You'd be looking outside Adelaide itself, possibly an hour or two from the edges of the city, maybe more. You may get lucky and find a vineyard down south along the coast which IMHO would be nicer as the coast here is lovely and you can easily get to places with a bit more happening.

I'd research some more as to where you need to look for farm work and forget the major cities for such things. You need to focus on the rural areas away from them and find out what fruit etc is in season and when and where you should be therefore to be able to get work to pick it.

A lot of the work is extremely physically tough and demanding, are you comfortable that you are both fit enough? It is to all intents and purposes slave labour, the employers know people have to do it for the 2nd year visa and exploit them.

The wineries seem to offer some of the best work - often small scale and not so back-breaking that won't start until summer though.

A lot of the work is extremely physically tough and demanding, are you comfortable that you are both fit enough? It is to all intents and purposes slave labour, the employers know people have to do it for the 2nd year visa and exploit them.

The wineries seem to offer some of the best work - often small scale and not so back-breaking that won't start until summer though.

Slave labour is what I'd adequately label it. I hope the OP has luck though and finds a place of mutual benefit to work their time. My advise would be to move on if unhappy and keep ear to the ground with regards to the better places.....the back packer toms toms still beat loud through the 'jungle' I imagine.