Are schools as much a hassle to get into in Melbourne?

jennlx

I have two children in primary school and we are looking at coming to Melbourne in January. I'm still waiting for a firm job offer so haven't tackled individual schools. I live in London currently, and have no idea how we would move around in London in terms of school areas and catchment area hell. Is it similar in Melbourne, if we arrive in January and trying for a school for February start? It would also take us about a month to find accommodation also, so another consideration. We would be looking at probably Catholic primary schools (or state) in Bayside as I have family in the area. I also quite like the look of Mordialloc. I have been googling but haven't been able to find anything yet. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Some state schools (referred to as public schools here) are oversubscribed and as a result will only accept pupils who live in their catchment area. They cannot however refuse to accept a child that lives in their catchment area (but will insist on evidence that they live in the catchment area such as a long-term rental agreement) even if the school is full. The catchment areas are drawn up based on the closest state school to your house.

Catholic schools (like any other private schools) have their own admission criteria and do not have to accept your child even if you are Catholic and live in the parish if there are no places available. Catholics who live in the parish will invariably have priority over all other applications however.

All state schools have priority enrolment areas and they are obliged to find a place for a child within the area - evidence of address (more than a 2 day hotel stay of course) rock up tomorrow and start straight away if you want but they usually like a day or two to get organised. Out of area enrolments very much up to the school and if they don't want your child they don't have to take them. Best to take as long as it needs to get yourself settled in a home you want to live in then enrol your child in school - no one is going to be chasing you if it takes a month or two.

Catholic schools - they take who they want and Catholics with past Catholic education experience and commitment to The Church will always take precedence so take references from your current church of you are Catholic.

You need to be aware that schools are all in recess in January and I doubt that anyone will be there for you to talk about enrolling at that time of year! Most of them go back end of January/start of February. If it were me I would make a few phone calls before they finish in December or even this month.Some private schools finish for the year end of November. Are you talking secondary or primary level? Harder to get in the popular secondary schools on the whole- not so difficult with primary schools.

You need to be aware that schools are all in recess in January and I doubt that anyone will be there for you to talk about enrolling at that time of year! Most of them go back end of January/start of February. If it were me I would make a few phone calls before they finish in December or even this month.Some private schools finish for the year end of November. Are you talking secondary or primary level? Harder to get in the popular secondary schools on the whole- not so difficult with primary schools.

They should be ok for contact at least a couple of weeks before term starts these days. The non teaching and executive staff are usually there during the holidays and secondary schools also have PEAs so it's very straightforward. They won't do anything without an at least semi permanent address anyway so taking time to get the right house should be a priority.

Private schools, whole different ball game - contact and pay waiting list fees back last year!

Thanks for coming back with so much information! Interested to see that state schools have to take you if in catchment - are their class sizes quite large then? My children are both in Primary School - would be Prep and Year Two in 2017. It didn't occur to me that there would be no one around to deal with admissions at that time too - more things to consider. Thanks very much - will touch base with a few schools and see what happens! Thanks again.

Thanks for coming back with so much information! Interested to see that state schools have to take you if in catchment - are their class sizes quite large then? My children are both in Primary School - would be Prep and Year Two in 2017. It didn't occur to me that there would be no one around to deal with admissions at that time too - more things to consider. Thanks very much - will touch base with a few schools and see what happens! Thanks again.

Well you will only be in area for one state school. Class sizes aren't supposed to be big but if they have to take a kid then they have to make do. They would certainly prefer it if you enrol before census day which is mid Feb because they then get resources according to the bums in seats on that day

There are class size limits in Victoria. The schools have enrolment ceilings and do not have to take your child if they are full. That is a rare event though and more likely to occur in areas with alternatives close by. For example where I live just beyond Melbourne the school nearest to new housing is full and new students are directed to a larger school close by. I'd be making the calls now for the schools in the areas near where you plan to live to give you an idea. Go to wwww.melbourneschoolzones.com.au and adjust the filters to select primary or secondary. The maps on that site will show you the closest schools. Many schools do not need to strictly enforce zones and it is not the issue that it is in many parts of the UK.

Melbourne from Christmas to mid January can be a bit like Paris in August and you will find it challenging to get some things organised. best to make your enquiries now as the end of the school year is a very busy time for schools.

Just re-reading your post, catholic schools have no obligation to enrol anyone and will only take you with space. You can adjust the Melbourne school zones site to show catholic schools and I'd be getting onto that now. There is often no enrolment fee and you may want to have a couple of contenders in the area!

I also quite like the look of Mordialloc.

Nice area - we have lived in Mordi for 9 years. Primary schools here are good and none are zoned - Mordialloc Beach, Parkdale and Parktone schools. My kids attend Parkdale and their class sizes are in the low 20s. In the years they have been going the school has expanded from 400 or so kids to 600+. Parktone has expanded from 180 to almost 400.

If you rock up on day 1 (Jan 30 - teacher only day) they should be able to fit your kids in but I agree that phoning first this term to advise them you may be coming would be good.