Living in Springfield Lakes, QLD???

huske

Hi everyone,

we are coming over to Brisbane mid November. I have arranged a temporary accommodation for the first month and will be looking for long term rental(1year+) in that time. We are a young family- my husband and I in our mid 30's with a 3 year old son. My husband has work at Acacia Ridge.

It's difficult to choose a suburb over the internet and we definitely will go for a drive around once we arrive before we commit to anything, however I want to have an idea of few suburbs that might suit us -ei.rental prices, services available,childcare,outdoor,ALDI!!!:) etc.

I like the look of Springfield Lakes, it seems to have lots to offer and within the 30mins drive frame for my husband too.

Do you live there or have any advise on that suburb???

Many thanks!!! :)

Be wary of the property you choose. We did a lot of research around the area before we bought in the suburb we are (not Springfield Lakes). The houses can be very close together, not all have been solidly built and if you google some review sites you will see frequent complaints of being able to hear your neighbours every move. We did a lot of drive rounds of various places at all different times of day and frequently saw groups of people just hanging about... we initially began to look at it as the houses seemed reasonably priced and large - the age of adage of it seems to good to be true, it usually is, held firm for us. We were buying rather than renting, so maybe as a non permeant move you'll be ok. From the research we did the older properties would be a safer bet.

As for the amenities in the area, yes they are pretty good, but we are just a 12 minute drive from those so can still enjoy them easily.

Be wary of the property you choose. We did a lot of research around the area before we bought in the suburb we are (not Springfield Lakes). The houses can be very close together, not all have been solidly built and if you google some review sites you will see frequent complaints of being able to hear your neighbours every move. We did a lot of drive rounds of various places at all different times of day and frequently saw groups of people just hanging about... we initially began to look at it as the houses seemed reasonably priced and large - the age of adage of it seems to good to be true, it usually is, held firm for us. We were buying rather than renting, so maybe as a non permeant move you'll be ok. From the research we did the older properties would be a safer bet.

As for the amenities in the area, yes they are pretty good, but we are just a 12 minute drive from those so can still enjoy them easily.

Where did you settle on @tickledpink?

We have been looking at Springfield as they have larger plots.

When we drove around Springfield Lakes - we really loved it, it looked fab but I just want a nice garden, ad those are tiny.

I don't want to say on a forum where I live, but in the end we chose somewhere closer to the city. We had the money available, so spent more and got what we wanted...

Springfield is the older, more established area so the plots are likely to be bigger plots (that was the case where we ended up buying too) and during our ask about people commonly said the houses were more solidly built too. The Lakes are more modern, newer, but as you are seeing smaller plots, houses bunched together - hence the reviews and feedback we found. On some of the reviews we found hearing the neighbours flushing their toilet was mentioned... not for me that...

We did our research over a 12 month period, so were pretty diligent I think. It paid off, we have picked the right place for us where we are and are very happy.

Edited by Tickled Pink

To me the 'small plots' are the size you would have in the UK in a standard semi on an estate (only here the houses are detached), which is enough space for most families.

We wanted acerage so choose to live where we are, if the OP wanted an acre or more id suggest looking at New Beith ,Teviot downs or Flagstone (not the new builds as theyre the same as Springfield lakes). All would still give a 30 min commute to Acacia Ridge and only a 10 / 20 min drive to Springfield water park etc.

Cal x

By larger plots I certainly don't mean acreage. I don't have acreage. I have a nice sized garden to go with my property. Smaller plots tend to build the house right up to the fence line to maximise house space, whereby the windows are often looking directly into the neighbours, and due to close proximity of houses have what I would consider little privacy. The OP will be able to see this when they drive around. In the uk semi-detached houses don't have windows that look into each other and are usually double brick built so sound does not travel in the same way. Some of the more recent areas of Springfield were built mass produced and not with the same sound proofing in mind.

Anyway, I've said my thoughts based on about 12 months research on buying, with this being one of the areas we included in the search (including lots of visits to area, research into houses built there and the building companies quality, reviews of people living or having lived there etc etc... only my views...

Thank you very much for all your comments...

We would of course love to find a properly built house,with good size garden,privacy and with lovely neighbours all around, however we must be sensible and stick to our budget. Once we are settled and ready to buy, then we will not compromise as easily on a property, but at the meantime we have to try to find a nice house, that "will do" for a short time until the right time and the right property comes along for us...

Thanks again for all your input!!! ;)