nissan is staying in the u.k

bunbury61

And building 2 new models in Sunderland,securing 7,000 jobs.

Iam concessions have had to be made ...great news though for the north east

The economy is holding up as well in the 1st guage of the economy after brexit.

Fingers crossed

Newsflash. The UK is still in the EU. Brexit hasn't happened yet doh! :wacko:

[h=3]UK growth beats expectations[/h]

We use cookies to enhance your experience like remembering your Time Zone. By closing this message you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more

ANALYSIS | 09:55 GMT[h=1]UK growth beats expectations[/h]David%20Cheetham.jpg

David CheethamXTB UKSHARE

The UK economy grew faster than economists’ forecasts in the third quarter of the year, with an expansion of 0.5% exceeding the median forecast of a 0.3% rise. The news saw the pound rally to its highest level of the day against the US dollar whilst the FTSE dropped and pared its early gains.

Brexit effect yet to be felt

This morning’s data from the Office for National Statistics showing higher than expected growth in the first full quarter since the momentous EU referendum will go some way to allay fears that there has been a significant adverse reaction in the economy thus far to the decision to leave the EU. This release shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise as several other economic indicators have proved robust in recent months after an initial knee-jerk reaction, with panic following the vote dissipating fairly quickly once the new government was formed and the Bank of England eased monetary policy. It should be noted however that the data refers to the third quarter and is therefore lagging in nature. With Theresa May announcing shortly before the end of September that Article 50 would be triggered in the early parts of 2017 the sanguine view on the Brexit situation has given way to a more concerned outlook with the effects clearly visible in the pound. It is quite remarkable considering the inevitability of the separation of the UK from its continental peers that concerns surrounding the economy ebbed so low they were almost forgotten about, with the elephant in the room seemingly ignored as companies have apparently continued on with business as usual.

And building 2 new models in Sunderland,securing 7,000 jobs.

Iam concessions have had to be made ...great news though for the north east

The economy is holding up as well in the 1st guage of the economy after brexit.

Fingers crossed

Brilliant news. Concessions being, we are staying in the single market come what may. I don't think we could hope for a better outcome from all this mess. There are a few in ukip of the Tories who hate Europe who may not be happy. And those who hate immigrants may be a little put out. But this is a huge victory for common sense.

Brilliant news. Concessions being, we are staying in the single market come what may. I don't think we could hope for a better outcome from all this mess. There are a few in ukip of the Tories who hate Europe who may not be happy. And those who hate immigrants may be a little put out. But this is a huge victory for common sense.

I seriously think you are adding 2+2 and reaching 5 with that conclusion. It might make it fractionally more likely but clearly the markets are not reaching that conclusion else the GBP would have shot up. Far more likely that the government has delivered a post-dated bribe of some sort.

I seriously think you are adding 2+2 and reaching 5 with that conclusion. It might make it fractionally more likely but clearly the markets are not reaching that conclusion else the GBP would have shot up. Far more likely that the government has delivered a post-dated bribe of some sort.

"Nissan was going to make this decision in early 2017 but appeared to have have pulled forward the decision to maximise leverage on the government in the wake of the Brexit vote and uncertainty over the future of the UK's trading relationship with the EU. The government knew that it couldn't afford to lose this investment."

From the telegraph. I'm assuming the government made reassurances to stay in the single market, and Nissan brought forward the decision to cement those reassurances. Now, it the government strays from the single market, Nissan can turn the knife. It is one thing to make vague threats. It is something else when those threats are on the table and have substance. May has promised the single market. This is Nissan's gun to her head to make sure she keeps that promise.

The markets won't fully reaction until Nissan puts some money down. Words can be revoked if there is justification to do so. Even so, this is positive.

"Nissan was going to make this decision in early 2017 but appeared to have have pulled forward the decision to maximise leverage on the government in the wake of the Brexit vote and uncertainty over the future of the UK's trading relationship with the EU. The government knew that it couldn't afford to lose this investment."

From the telegraph. I'm assuming the government made reassurances to stay in the single market, and Nissan brought forward the decision to cement those reassurances. Now, it the government strays from the single market, Nissan can turn the knife. It is one thing to make vague threats. It is something else when those threats are on the table and have substance. May has promised the single market. This is Nissan's gun to her head to make sure she keeps that promise.

The markets won't fully reaction until Nissan puts some money down. Words can be revoked if there is justification to do so. Even so, this is positive.

But remaining in the single market is not May's to promise. Any deal has to be agreed by all 28 EU members and they may not accept the UK staying in the single market regardless especially as May will just have to gain some concessions otherwise she is finished and these may be unacceptable to the EU.

There is a danger of falling into the trap of forgetting there are two sides to any negotiated agreement and there are many very good reasons why the EU should not give the UK an easy ride.

But remaining in the single market is not May's to promise. Any deal has to be agreed by all 28 EU members and they may not accept the UK staying in the single market regardless especially as May will just have to gain some concessions otherwise she is finished and these may be unacceptable to the EU.

There is a danger of falling into the trap of forgetting there are two sides to any negotiated agreement and there are many very good reasons why the EU should not give the UK an easy ride.

True but this ,is,nissan,telling,the,govt,or,agreeing,with,the,govt,on,how,they,wish,them,to,proceed,in,the,negotiations.

If ,the,eu,dont,let,us,join,the,single,market,then,nissan,can,throw,their,toys,out,of,the,pram.

Can,they,stop,us,being,an,eea,member? That's up to the lawyers. But why would they? It's their best solution as it is ours.

The only sticking point is immigration. They will just have to give it the Humphrey treatment.

Nissan haven't spent anything yet, and a condition maybe that they are kept in the loop in all negotiations.

Sorry about the commas, it wouldn't let me put in spaces.

Edited by newjez

Don't know if we will stay in the single market ,but would the e.u really want to jeopardise 16% of its trade .

I he's of all the fears for the u.k fair enough ,and understandable .

But the e.u is a basket case ,regardless of whether we stay in or not ,single market or not .

The British public had a vote ,and voted brexit .

The same issue of globalisation Is now on the agenda in the u.s .

They are even calling the " rust belt" states like Ohio ,the brexit states.

We shall see .

Don't know if we will stay in the single market ,but would the e.u really want to jeopardise 16% of its trade .

I he's of all the fears for the u.k fair enough ,and understandable .

But the e.u is a basket case ,regardless of whether we stay in or not ,single market or not .

The British public had a vote ,and voted brexit .

The same issue of globalisation Is now on the agenda in the u.s .

They are even calling the " rust belt" states like Ohio ,the brexit states.

We shall see .

You do understand the irony of this post?

I'll reply again as I was having problems with spaces. True, they could oppose us joining. Although technically we are already a member of the eea, so it's one for the lawyers. Norway could oppose us joining the efta, but we could set up a shadow version, and would it be in their interests? I agree it is a rocky road forward. But this is the first positive news we have had.

I'll reply again as I was having problems with spaces. True, they could oppose us joining. Although technically we are already a member of the eea, so it's one for the lawyers. Norway could oppose us joining the efta, but we could set up a shadow version, and would it be in their interests? I agree it is a rocky road forward. But this is the first positive news we have had.

It is undoubtedly good news for the people in the north east who rely on Nissan/Renault for their livelihoods. Whether it represents a good deal for the UK taxpayers time will tell. It is interesting to see how comprehensively the new Tory government have thrown out fiscal responsibility. It is good on balance though that they are indicating that they will intervene where necessary to avoid job losses arising from Brexit though there will be limits to this of course and it will be the big companies who can demand the biggest taxpayer subsidies.

I have yet to find anyone else though who has concluded from this announcement that the cabinet have changed their position. Why do you think that the news has not produced a spike in the value of the GBP?

It is undoubtedly good news for the people in the north east who rely on Nissan/Renault for their livelihoods. Whether it represents a good deal for the UK taxpayers time will tell. It is interesting to see how comprehensively the new Tory government have thrown out fiscal responsibility. It is good on balance though that they are indicating that they will intervene where necessary to avoid job losses arising from Brexit though there will be limits to this of course and it will be the big companies who can demand the biggest taxpayer subsidies.

I have yet to find anyone else though who has concluded from this announcement that the cabinet have changed their position. Why do you think that the news has not produced a spike in the value of the GBP?

Small steps. The government haven't acknowledged, and probably won't. Why would they? It will only weaken their position. Ford have committed too now. Rather than dealing with the EU, it looks like they have been targeting industry. I'm guessing they committed to stay in the single market, and ignore what we say in public. It's all looking very positive.

Iam sure you will enlighten me
We are moving out of a protected trade block to embrace free trade. The US, under Clinton or trump, have given every indication that they are going to move towards protectionism. We are moving in completely opposite directions.

Ford now too.

I think May is doing a Clinton.

What's said in public isn't what is said in private.

Question is, are we being appeased or are business.

Think we all know the answer to that.

Edited by newjez

Nissan have been thrown a massive bone, and whichever way you look at it, it is positive to retain employment in that area of the country.

Suspect it's a loaded promise - UK either retains full access to the single market or huge sweetheart tax deal in the event of tariff based access.

Sadly either way I think the UK taxpayer will be worse off.

We are moving out of a protected trade block to embrace free trade. The US, under Clinton or trump, have given every indication that they are going to move towards protectionism. We are moving in completely opposite directions.

Hillary Clinton operating a protectionist policy ...really

You will find the brexiteers and trump are singing from the same hymn sheet .

It has to be

Nissan have been thrown a massive bone, and whichever way you look at it, it is positive to retain employment in that area of the country.

Suspect it's a loaded promise - UK either retains full access to the single market or huge sweetheart tax deal in the event of tariff based access.

Sadly either way I think the UK taxpayer will be worse off.

Sadly I think you are likely to be right, big business and top guys is going to get looked after and the rest of us are going to get shafted, voting gets you no new world just a recycled version of the old one.

Hillary Clinton operating a protectionist policy ...really

You will find the brexiteers and trump are singing from the same hymn sheet .

It has to be

Trump and Brexit are complete opposites of the spectrum. The only thing they have in common is they are a radical change. Trump is not compatible with brexit, and he wouldn't be an asset for brexit Britain. But to a lesser extent the same could be said for Clinton.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/15/whats-the-problem-with-protectionism

Trump and Brexit are complete opposites of the spectrum. The only thing they have in common is they are a radical change. Trump is not compatible with brexit, and he wouldn't be an asset for brexit Britain. But to a lesser extent the same could be said for Clinton.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/15/whats-the-problem-with-protectionism

A very interesting paper, makes the same point that a number of economists and non-political finance people are starting to aim at the politicians, that is that some form of Keynesian initiatives will have to be embraced in order to break the deadlock created by monetarism.

It also highlights the complexities of tariff imposition and how they are influenced by political thinking, something which is central to the present brexit impasse, the negotiations will not simply be a set of rational discussions but a fight between ideologies and May is ensuring that will be the case by delaying implementing notice 50 and maintaining we have to have a bargaining position, she may well be right but if she is then it is going to be a very messy 2 years with a lot of uncertainty right up to the end of that 2 years.

The other thing which I found very interesting was the final 2 paragraphs about how the trade wars between nations of the 1930's diverted attention away from the rise of Hitler, sound familiar !!!!!!

:twitcy:

Sadly I think you are likely to be right, big business and top guys is going to get looked after and the rest of us are going to get shafted, voting gets you no new world just a recycled version of the old one.
It would be nice if they paid their taxes. I wonder where they will pay their taxes if Switzerland has a hard exit?