Leaving in 2 weeks

Amzlou84

Hey guys!

We are emigrating to Melbourne in 2 weeks. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 8&3.

We have a temporary place to stay in Carlton for 1 month.

My husband starts his job 5 days after we arrive, so its my job to look at houses and schools asap.

As its impossible to cover all suburbs and schools,Ii want to narrow down to 6 suburbs. Ofcourse we have done lots of research already but I am keen to hear suggestions from you guys.

-Budget is 600pw

-My husband will work from home so dont need to be too close to the city. However, His office is based in Port Melbourne and he will have to go there at some points during the working week.

-i would like somewhere where there are young families to meet.

-good public transport links

-ofcourse, nice schools.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Amzlou84

Have a look at Ringwood and surrounds. Excellent schools, nice streets, great shopping and transport links. Established suburb so all of the infrastructure is there. About 30 mins to the city by train. Freeway straight down to Frankston and beyond for the beach in about 30 mins

Park Orchards? Nice country feel, lovely houses and great schools. Also Ringwood North ( a bit cheaper than PO) Donvale. If you like a bit of a middle class hippie feel, Warrandyte or Eltham?

I agree with all of those. The reason I specified Ringwood itself was for the Ringwood High school zone. But that is a few years off yet. The suburbs above are all greener. If you are concerned about bushfires 9as some newcomers are) you might be a little wary of some the more bushy parts of Warrandyte - but it is a diverse place.

Following this thread and curious why avoid the West?

For the same reason than North Londoners won't go "South of the River". Historically the West was the more industrialised side of the city so the nice houses were in the South East. Things change but attitudes remain entrenched.

Following this thread and curious why avoid the West?

When a migrant comes from another land to your country. . You don't want to shock him with surprises...

As mentioned the west is developing not developed. ..

As a migrant I would like to initially get in a developed portion. . Get to know the suburbs and then decide where to go for the long haul..

Hence avoid the west. .

Best regards

Nick

I have a property you might be interested in. I have kept it vacant for a long time because I had intended to sell it as a development site but property prices have been rising so fast in Frankston that I figured it was better to keep it a bit longer. It is in a position of prime convenience. There are two primary schools, one government and one private within one minutes walk, all the shops you need are just another minutes walk. So there is no need to own a car here. The train station and beach are a couple of minutes by car or a 20-25 minute walk. The house itself has 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom and toilet but also has an external shower and toilet room that is usable. The house is very old but clean and comfortable and quite liveable. I would leave it up to you whether you wanted a lease or just rent on a month to month basis. Rent would be $1400 a month which is about $324 a week.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Nick, the west looks tempting as has nice new houses which are very affordable! But I get the impression the infrastructure has not caught up with the amount of houses built. Its a shame. I shall certainly be looking at all suburbs mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont' mean to hijack the thread but we will be leaving in 3 weeks as well and while we initially looked at Epping (mainly because we have cousins there) we are now spending 2 nights at Sanctuary Lakes to get a feel of the place. Having read numerous forums and websites, I get the feeling SL is quite nice, bigger plots and decent community life with the usual problems of peak/rush hour traffic plus having to drive to Williams Landing, Aircraft or Laverton for the Werribee line

Is it fair to say that Altona, Sanctuary and Seabrook are decent enough with the furthest south being Sneydes Road? It's all subjective but being subjective, would these be the areas we can focus on during our 2 days in that area?

And about us, we are a couple in our late 30s, probably still thinking of having kids but definitely a few dogs. Very likely it will just be me doing the commute to work from here into CBD

Thanks

KnK

I dont' mean to hijack the thread but we will be leaving in 3 weeks as well and while we initially looked at Epping (mainly because we have cousins there) we are now spending 2 nights at Sanctuary Lakes to get a feel of the place. Having read numerous forums and websites, I get the feeling SL is quite nice, bigger plots and decent community life with the usual problems of peak/rush hour traffic plus having to drive to Williams Landing, Aircraft or Laverton for the Werribee line

Is it fair to say that Altona, Sanctuary and Seabrook are decent enough with the furthest south being Sneydes Road? It's all subjective but being subjective, would these be the areas we can focus on during our 2 days in that area?

And about us, we are a couple in our late 30s, probably still thinking of having kids but definitely a few dogs. Very likely it will just be me doing the commute to work from here into CBD

Thanks

KnK

Sanctuary Lakes is a very nice area. Wish I'd bought land there 10 years ago. Not the best of commutes though.