A shout out to Brisbane

movingback

I'm up in Brisbane (from Sydney) for a week for work. I've only driven through once before. Loving it! Had a good mooch around the city and south bank today. Its amazing. Wonderful buildings, great shopping street, lots of people and restaurants and bars around. Feels so much more liveable then Sydney. And the price of apartments/houses are half Sydney prices. Wish I'd discovered it sooner. I always thought the weather would be too much for me up here but it isn't that much different/hotter/humid than Sydney is it?

Edited by movingback

I'd never visited QLD and didn't ever have much interest in doing so. Then I got tickets for a concert in Brisbane and flew up there for a couple of days earlier this year. I can honestly say, I felt exactly the same. Loved it! Loved the 'feel' of the place. Holiday mode maybe, but still..I liked a lot of the things I saw. I stayed in South Bank. Sorry, can't help with living there :-)

Edited by TiaCapan

Would be second on my list after Perth. Brisbane is a really nice City but a bit too far from nice beaches. The sunshine coast is fantastic but finding work would be a problem I think. We have friends who moved from Perth to moolloolaba and they love it.

Thats interesting Paul. I have actually spent a bit of time on the Sunshine Coast. The rural area and up in the hinterland - Nambour up to Montville is beautiful. However, I found the urban area of the coast very bland. It seemed to be all sprawl an big box stores with a small coastal strip with high rises for tourists. No real soul to the place. The beaches, I agree, are fantastic.

Brisbane weather is the envy of the world. Humidity is not a big issue and heat is fine, few hot days but generally low 30's during summer. Don't forget houses and buildings are different up here, designed to circulate air through them like ours which generally remains cool enough to keep the a/c off.

Living in Brisbane is not a holiday, there is a work hard/play hard attitude which is great. There are also very few cities which have such great beaches so close by but still have the feel of a serious business destination.

A great city, still affordable, gives a great quality of life and currently heading in the right direction....generally.

S

Brisbane is great been living here 3 weeks! only seen one cloudy day. Not too big not too small. About 2 million people. You are super close to great beaches. (gold coast, Sunshine coasts and Moreton island) Very laid back and relaxed a total change from London

And totally agree a great place (and cheaper to live than Sydney)

Thats interesting Paul. I have actually spent a bit of time on the Sunshine Coast. The rural area and up in the hinterland - Nambour up to Montville is beautiful. However, I found the urban area of the coast very bland. It seemed to be all sprawl an big box stores with a small coastal strip with high rises for tourists. No real soul to the place. The beaches, I agree, are fantastic.

Just shows the difference between tastes, 15 minutes inland from the coast is 10 too far for me. We had to go to Montville and umundy markets when all I wanted to do was spend more time surfing. Had to go though the wife said you will come and you will enjoy it. Hate markets with a vengeance. We spent a day in Noosa and I would have loved a lot longer there. Loved it.

Just shows the difference between tastes, 15 minutes inland from the coast is 10 too far for me. We had to go to Montville and umundy markets when all I wanted to do was spend more time surfing. Had to go though the wife said you will come and you will enjoy it. Hate markets with a vengeance. We spent a day in Noosa and I would have loved a lot longer there. Loved it.

Was there last weekend. Fantastic as ever. Will probably make the move one day.

Saying that the negative of Brisbane being a bit of a drive/ferry to better beaches is also a positive. It makes you visit more, feels more like a holiday and probably keeps house prices down. Could only imagine the demand to live in Brisbane if it had the Sunshine coast beaches as well.

Guest The Pom Queen

We are opposite love rural, although saying that I am happy with both coast and rural. Rob just likes rural. Noosa is lovely, I could have lived there.

We are opposite love rural, although saying that I am happy with both coast and rural. Rob just likes rural. Noosa is lovely, I could have lived there.

I found Noosa too pretentious. It felt like a snobby Port Douglas to me. The one town I did enjoy on the coast was Peregian Beach. Not as touristy with a nice central square and some great cafes.

I'm up in Brisbane (from Sydney) for a week for work. I've only driven through once before. Loving it! Had a good mooch around the city and south bank today. Its amazing. Wonderful buildings, great shopping street, lots of people and restaurants and bars around. Feels so much more liveable then Sydney. And the price of apartments/houses are half Sydney prices. Wish I'd discovered it sooner. I always thought the weather would be too much for me up here but it isn't that much different/hotter/humid than Sydney is it?

Nice one, I was only in Brissie once. And that was only for two days.

Want to visit again. Enjoy it!

B

The day we landed :wink:

I'd say the year 2000, I needed 6months to get my feet under the table first.

But really I have seen some massive changes since we arrived especially with the bar, cafe and restaurant scene, when we first got here I was expecting someone to ask me to turn the lights off on my way out at 8.00pm (now 9.00). However, we have a relative from the UK out on business and staying in the city, apparently had a meal booked for 9.00pm got to the restaurant to be told there is no booking and there could not be one as the latest bookings are for 8.00pm:wacko:

I'd say the year 2000, I needed 6months to get my feet under the table first.

But really I have seen some massive changes since we arrived especially with the bar, cafe and restaurant scene, when we first got here I was expecting someone to ask me to turn the lights off on my way out at 8.00pm (now 9.00). However, we have a relative from the UK out on business and staying in the city, apparently had a meal booked for 9.00pm got to the restaurant to be told there is no booking and there could not be one as the latest bookings are for 8.00pm:wacko:

This sums Queensland up. For me I have found the adjustment quite easy (but then I am 56). I just mentally add 2 hours on to the actual time and then find I am in cinq with Queensland. 6am here is like 8am in the UK and 8pm more like 10pm.