Warning, Warning. Do NOT move to Perth.

Parley

Western Australia is Australia's worst performing state.

Even worse than Tassie.

So to all Poms wanting to move to Australia it is best to come over to the Eastern side.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/nsw-is-australias-best-performing-state-while-western-australia-has-slipped-to-last-place/news-story/9b49f3ad440a83b75e101bb2db9bf1d6

Western Australia is Australia's worst performing state.

Even worse than Tassie.

So to all Poms wanting to move to Australia it is best to come over to the Eastern side.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/nsw-is-australias-best-performing-state-while-western-australia-has-slipped-to-last-place/news-story/9b49f3ad440a83b75e101bb2db9bf1d6

Unless you are retired of course.

and there has been plenty east siders over here taking advantage of the big money, all bailing out now though!

Wouldn't say all. My son is up on Wheatstone and there are plenty of Eastern State people still.

Be interesting to see how the figures are compiled and how they get the worst performing result. Maybe they are looking at the best WA has been and then looked at where we are now. Big difference from best to worst, no doubt, but worse than Tasmania???

I live here and haven't noticed an awful lot change where I live. I know a couple of guys who were in mining who lost their jobs but they've picked up work. Had to adjust their lifestyle a lot but they had a lot of years on big money.

It's not the end of the world or the end of WA for that matter. If i was emigrating even now I would still be considering Perth as a place to settle. We don't all work in mining.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how the figures are compiled and how they get the worst performing result. Maybe they are looking at the best WA has been and then looked at where we are now. Big difference from best to worst, no doubt, but worse than Tasmania???

It was an analysis of eight key indicators for the last quarter: economic growth; retail spending; equipment investment; unemployment; construction work done; population growth; housing finance and dwelling commencements.

The report is here:

https://www.commsec.com.au/stateofstates

I can assure you that, living in Tasmania, it is not the complete basket case which mainlanders love to portray. Most of the time we just shut up and enjoy it and let them get on with it. :rolleyes:

Although Sydney house prices should curtail much interest in that city. 6% more expensive than London, I believe. Not letting Perth off the hook though, by any means. This town remains some 6% (oddly) more expensive than Sydney.

House prices, while supposedly declining 7% are still vastly over priced IMO in Perth. Rents are becoming a far better deal. Do what my accountant is in the process of doing. Sell your $1.2 plus house and rent. Crunch the figures and they stuck up.

Plenty of evidence of downturn in Perth. Office space galore on the market for rent in West Perth. Fremantle and Subiaco among many others have shops empty and don't appear to be takers for rent. (rents far too high, I know a hairdresser in Leederville that shut up shop in the centre here more than a year ago and works from home, saving huge over heads)

Work is difficult to find, but Perth may well reinvent itself as a centre for retirement over coming years. There is still a lot of baggage to be swept out that inflicted this town during ' the excess years'.

Hopefully the dog eat dog mentality will dissipate over time and a more caring, less hyped up, money focused with loud displays of ostentatious displays of wealth materialises. Or could it be a case of dream, on we are what we are?

It was an analysis of eight key indicators for the last quarter: economic growth; retail spending; equipment investment; unemployment; construction work done; population growth; housing finance and dwelling commencements.

The report is here:

https://www.commsec.com.au/stateofstates

I can assure you that, living in Tasmania, it is not the complete basket case which mainlanders love to portray. Most of the time we just shut up and enjoy it and let them get on with it. :rolleyes:

Sounds a lot like WA mate. Thanks for the info, you can understand it coming out bad for WA. Just about all those indicators would have gone backwards in the last 6 months. Not really rocket science. The predicted price of Iron Ore never got as low as the "experts" predicted though, gold price has done OK, maybe the miners all reacted too quickly? Lithium is the next big thing apparently and WA has plenty of that too. I read today that coal has trebled in price over the last few months and India want as much as they can get.

You never know, might be another boom around the corner.

• Like 1

Although Sydney house prices should curtail much interest in that city. 6% more expensive than London, I believe. Not letting Perth off the hook though, by any means. This town remains some 6% (oddly) more expensive than Sydney.

House prices, while supposedly declining 7% are still vastly over priced IMO in Perth. Rents are becoming a far better deal. Do what my accountant is in the process of doing. Sell your $1.2 plus house and rent. Crunch the figures and they stuck up.

Plenty of evidence of downturn in Perth. Office space galore on the market for rent in West Perth. Fremantle and Subiaco among many others have shops empty and don't appear to be takers for rent. (rents far too high, I know a hairdresser in Leederville that shut up shop in the centre here more than a year ago and works from home, saving huge over heads)

Work is difficult to find, but Perth may well reinvent itself as a centre for retirement over coming years. There is still a lot of baggage to be swept out that inflicted this town during ' the excess years'.

Hopefully the dog eat dog mentality will dissipate over time and a more caring, less hyped up, money focused with loud displays of ostentatious displays of wealth materialises. Or could it be a case of dream, on we are what we are?

You don't really think Perth property is 6% dearer than Sydney do you Flag? Show me a like for like property that would come close, be it City apartment, or beachside 4×2. We're not in the same ballpark now mate, not even close.

You don't really think Perth property is 6% dearer than Sydney do you Flag? Show me a like for like property that would come close, be it City apartment, or beachside 4×2. We're not in the same ballpark now mate, not even close.

Read what is written. The cost of living is 6% higher than Sydney. Perth's eating out prices, supermarket prices remain atrocious and are above Sydney's by all accounts. I'll be over in that city come January so will check first hand myself, but believe that to be the case.

Does anyone seriously consider Perth a place of value? I've yet to meet one outside of forums as such. But come to think of it why would Perth, a city of declining national importance, be even close to Sydney, which is again well over priced for what it is.

I would hate to live in Perth, all those beautiful beaches, quiet peaceful lifestyle, gorgeous weather...

Seriously though, only 12 months ago I was working with guys from Perth complaining that WA supports the rest of Australia and they shouldn't be giving all the money to the other states... I work/worked in oil and gas mostly up on the NW Shelf and things were great, but in the last 6-12months the price has plummeted and thousands upon thousands of guys have been made redundant (including myself), but what surprised me most was the amount of guys who were mortgaged up the max with a SUV, Boat and JetSki on finance, credit card debts and rental homes under construction (75% financed or whatever), totally ill prepared for a downturn. From the day I started at sea I was always told that our industry is cyclic and when the money is rolling in to put some away for the dips. I now a take a year or 2 off work and wouldn't need to worry, as it happens since I've been redundant I've been offered a bit of casual work (20% more then I was earning...) but its still sporadic. I may do some work in the UK and FiFo back and forth, completely the opposite of what many guys have been doing in recent years when things were booming on the NW shelf.

Edited by CaptainR
  • Like 1

You are the Irish setter of economic forecasters Paul.

My heart bleeds. Not. Serves the greedy bastards right. During the mining boom there was a lot of talk from Perth about seceding from the rest of Oz and keeping all the loot for themselves. Now they are fast going down the gutter and they need us to bail them out. Funny how no one in WA is talking independence now.

I would hate to live in Perth, all those beautiful beaches, quiet peaceful lifestyle, gorgeous weather...

Seriously though, only 12 months ago I was working with guys from Perth complaining that WA supports the rest of Australia and they shouldn't be giving all the money to the other states... I work/worked in oil and gas mostly up on the NW Shelf and things were great, but in the last 6-12months the price has plummeted and thousands upon thousands of guys have been made redundant (including myself), but what surprised me most was the amount of guys who were mortgaged up the max with a SUV, Boat and JetSki on finance, credit card debts and rental homes under construction (75% financed or whatever), totally ill prepared for a downturn. From the day I started at sea I was always told that our industry is cyclic and when the money is rolling in to put some away for the dips. I now a take a year or 2 off work and wouldn't need to worry, as it happens since I've been redundant I've been offered a bit of casual work (20% more then I was earning...) but its still sporadic. I may do some work in the UK and FiFo back and forth, completely the opposite of what many guys have been doing in recent years when things were booming on the NW shelf.

Many lived in denial. This was supposed to be the boom without end. No more boom/bust cycles. Few would listen. Results to be seen all over Perth with properties for sale and vacant rentals etc. Those of us with half a mind would have put away enough to tide us over. In my case probably to retirement.

• 3 months later...