Working Holiday Visa Tax Return

Dibbsy

Hopefully some of you on here can help us,

Me and my girlfriend returned from Australia earlier on in the year and while she was there on her working holiday visa she was employed for approximately 2 months with the same company.

She has a final pay summary from this company and on our quest to see if she was entitled to any tax money back it has come to our suspicion the company she worked for did not pay enough tax on her behalf meaning she owes money

I know many travellers receive a refund when they leave but it appears to be a nightmare finding information on this and the taxback companies are just out to make a few quid.

The answer to this question is probably completely obvious but should we potentially pursue getting any owed money paid and is it likely that this could hinder her chances of getting a visa in the future if we don't?

Edited by Dibbsy

Some travellers might get a refund, others might owe, others might have paid the right amount of tax. It is quite a common belief that travellers always are due a refund though.

Still if she only worked two months, then it is entirely possible that she did not get the full use of the personal allowance and is owed something back. With the back of a fag packet and a calculator you could probably work this out for yourselves by referencing the twx bands which you would find on the ATO website?

If tax is owing to the Australian government, then yes it would normally prevent a visa being issued in the future, until such time as the debt is settled.