Done the travelling, just want to work

mralexjg

Hoping someone could help! My fiancé and I have done the travelling around aus.

Now we would like to just work in Perth for a year. I am a carpenter and she is a dance teacher. We do t want to come over and just work in a bar like the usual year workers. We would like to workinour own fields. I've had a look at doing a skills test. Is this just for people actually emigrating? Or is it worth me doing too. Could I get a job as a chippy without doing it? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou in advance!

alex

Have you held a WHV for Aus before or did you visit and travel on a tourist visa? If you held a whv did you do the regional work to gain the second year and if so did you use it already?

If you've already done a WHV and didn't qualify for the second year, then you have only two options. One is to find an employer to sponsor you for a temporary contract, and the other is to apply to migrate. There is no other way to come and work in Australia.

If you haven't done a WHV, then it's easy to apply for - approval takes only a day or so. You need to apply for one each. Most people on a WHV work at casual jobs because they want the freedom to travel, but there's nothing to stop you settling in one place and working at an ordinary job. The only limitation is that they'll be temp jobs, as you can only work for the same employer for 6 months.

In practice, I suspect your girlfriend would be able to get cash-in-hand work as a dance teacher for the whole year, it's not legal but I know it happens a lot!

Brilliant thanks. Will look it up!

Does anyone know roughly how much the skills test costs?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You would only take the skills test if you want to apply for a visa to live in Australia permanently. That would be a very expensive route to take, and you'd be waiting a long time for approval - no point if you just want to go for a year.

Taking the skills test doesn't qualify you to work as a carpenter in Australia, it's just part of the PR visa process.

If you just want to apply for a Working Holiday Visa, you don't need to do the skills test. You both just apply for the WHV online and you'll get approved within a day or two. Then book the flights and off you go.

Edited by Marisawright