5-a-side anywhere between Eastern Suburbs and Hornsby? Or small cycling groups/clubs?

the1ofspades

Hi people,

Just moved to Kensington on a 309 from Norwich, and I'm just looking for a way to keep healthy and meet new people. I haven't played football for a few years, but have missed it and I wondered if anyone knew of leagues, or had a team etc that played once a week and was looking for another person?

I'm also waiting delivery of my road cycle from the UK at the end of the month, so i'm keen to get back in the saddle. A group of us used to head out once a week back home and do anywhere from 30-50miles, occasionally stopping for a drink or lunch. I've done a few 100 milers too (although I didn't enjoy it as much) but I ride around 16/17mph average, so would be keen to ride with others at a similar level in the eastern suburbs. (Might take me a few weeks to get back up to speed though after 12 weeks off!)

Anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs is great, and I work in Wahroonga, so i'm always in the Hornsby area too.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

There are loads of cycling clubs around although Sydney roads aren't particularly bike friendly. The most popular time is early morning at the weekends, especially Sunday - ride out and back to a cafe for breakfast is the usual drill

I live on the North Shore (Wahroonga coincidentally) and used to ride a few times with these guys:

http://sydney-easy-riders.com.au/

It's primarily a commuting club although they do loads of weekend rides as well. very friendly

I just put "eastern suburbs cycling clubs" into Google and there were a dozen or so right there

There are charity and other big events throughout the summer - first one this weekend with the "Spring Cycle" Next month is the Gong ride which is fabulous if your bike gets here in time, scenery is epic:

http://www.msgongride.org.au/

As for 5-a-side soccer, there are active clubs around most sports centres. The usual name for it here is futsal, so look for that in your search

NB Riding up to Wahroonga for work is also perfectly feasible although it's a fair distance for you (I've ridden down when working in Pyrmont). Going up the Pacific Highway is much better than people think because northbound (which is mostly uphill) there are plenty of bus & turning lanes which means that for most of it there are no cars in the inside lane anyway. It's also a fairly steady climb up the ridge, the pull up from North Sydney to Crows Nest is the only serious hill.

If you're working at the hospital (not much else employment wise in Wahroonga!) then it's 10x easier than using the Comenarra Parkway which has a serious amount of up-and-down to it, some of it very steep

I'm probably starting a new job in North Sydney shortly and will definitely be cycling to and from using the Pac Hwy, and for me that means going with the traffic. If you're going against, it should be a breeze

Edited by northshorepom