HELP! Did you ship your toiletries?? Was it a problem??

CelinaOz

Hi everyone

I'm freaking out a bit as PSS have just said that it's best not to ship toiletries (our packers are coming in a week) and I have tonnes of the stuff - hair products, body lotions, shampoo, lots of perfumes.

I asked them about it and they said it's best not to take anything liquid as Customs may want to check it, therefore incurring an extra charge. Also not to take anything flammable (so I'm guessing that IS perfume, nail varnish, hair dye???). Eeek.

I wondered if this is something that's happened to you or is it something they all say but it's usually fine?

I am a bit of a toiletries 'collector', so was planning on taking alot of my stash including all of my expensive perfurmes (and they'd weigh a tonne to take in my suitcase).

Any help on this, I'd be most grateful.....

Thanks

Celina x

Oh dear, what a shame to discover this so late in the process. If you'd known when you were planning the move, you could've run down your stash.

I would think twice about packing perfumes. Perfumes can last a long time when kept in a cool, dry place - but your perfumes are going to be travelling through the tropics in a metal container, so chances are they'll be "off" by the time you get them anyway. They might make nice farewell presents for your female relatives?

Nail varnishes probably won't do well either.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi

I took my perfume in the hold luggage - I don't think the extreme temperatures in the container will do the perfume much good. With the other stuff, I took a couple of tubes of shampoo to tide me over until I found a brand I liked.

I had a couple of nail varnishes in the container - primarily because I forgot to put in my luggage before the removalists came. The nail varnish did not travel well and was unusable upon arrival.

Would have thought body lotions etc would be fine though, as not alcohol based/ flammable or quite so susceptible to the change in temperatures.

A good opportunity to have a clear out and start with new brands in Australia!

P

I packed some toiletries, including perfumes, in large ziploc bags, inside a platic tub, and they travelled fine. I'm a bit of a hoarder of toiletries, when the Reject Shop (a bit like Home Bargains) sells my favourite hair products for crazy low prices I stock up big! Got a cupboard full of bottles, lotions and potions!

I shipped all my toiletries and my makeup kit without any issues. It all turned up intact, no issues with lipsticks, cream blushes, perfumes etc.

I had a good clear out before we packed and gave a lot of products to family and friends, but I was glad I brought all my higher end make up as it's considerably more expensive here. I just made sure to pack everything carefully, make up in a traincase, all bottles upright in boxes, checked the lids on everything and packed anything I was worried about possibly leaking in ziplock bags.

Edited by petitescargot

I shipped perfume, nail polish and cosmetics. All were fine when they arrived. Might depend how long a container hangs around and the position on the ship though. Ours went straight to docks for departure the following day and quickest route. We arrived here in Feb so hot when the container landed.

You could pack them in a esky or cool bags to help as well.

I shipped whatever I had spare, which is usually plenty. My favourite perfume has been discontinued but I once found a shop with some backlog so I bought the lot. Accordingly shipped about ten bottles of my favourite perfume, must be in the second bottle now and it is absolutely fine. Same as everything else. I wouldn't give it a second thought. And I have never heard of customs having an issue with liquids. It is airports that don't like liquids because people can make explosives out of them or something.