Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 33

    Thread: Florida


    1. #1

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      39
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep

      Florida

      Hello All,

      Off to Florida in about 2 weeks, been given 2 weeks free car hire, but need to add the costs on top of insurance which is about $250 and then fuel, parking at Disney which is going to cost around $120 overall VS public transport of $16 a week. Costs are split between 4 except the public transfer which is each.

      Staying on International Drive (Rosen Inn International) if that helps.

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    2. #2

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      From Leeds, now Brisbane since 1999
      Posts
      4,090
      Liked
      3570 times
      Rep
      Is this someone lending you their car? the reason I ask is (from experience) if something breaks down on the car then you would possibly have the cost of those repairs and no car and all associated hassles until it is fixed.
      A lot of the hotels have free shuttles to the theme parks. I just went on trip advisor to have a look, try this link you may find some useful info https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowT...o_Florida.html
      Enjoying life in Queensland

    3. #3

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      2,528
      Liked
      3471 times
      Rep
      Let me know how it is, my friend is staying in that place but in june. I stayed in southern dunes last time but if i was to go back id stay on international drive.

      You might find it easier to just use shuttle buses unless you're going way out. I think your accommodation is right beside universal studios

    4. #4

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      39
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      If it helps its right next door to the 'worlds largest McDonalds' Pretty close to the Ripley's Believe it or not looking at it on the map

      The car is coming free with the package, but you have to pay the insurance costs on top which is pretty high, then $20 in each park to leave your car their.

      However you can buy a week long ticket on the 'Lynx' which is $16 but obviously stuck to a certain schedule with it.

    5. #5

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      From Leeds, now Brisbane since 1999
      Posts
      4,090
      Liked
      3570 times
      Rep
      Looks like you have pretty much worked out your costings, so really down to convenience and ability to go other places other than theme parks in the two week period. Could you just have (as in insure) the car for a week? theme parks one week sight seeing the next?
      Enjoying life in Queensland

    6. #6

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      9,371
      Liked
      5397 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Jamiemadden7 View Post
      Hello All,

      Off to Florida in about 2 weeks, been given 2 weeks free car hire, but need to add the costs on top of insurance which is about $250 and then fuel, parking at Disney which is going to cost around $120 overall VS public transport of $16 a week. Costs are split between 4 except the public transfer which is each.

      Staying on International Drive (Rosen Inn International) if that helps.

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      1st world problems. Enjoy you lucky so and so. Dead jealous.

      Make sure you note which car bay you are in, the bays are huge. Use a sat nav if you can, makes driving less stressful.

    7. #7

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      39
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith and Linda View Post
      Looks like you have pretty much worked out your costings, so really down to convenience and ability to go other places other than theme parks in the two week period. Could you just have (as in insure) the car for a week? theme parks one week sight seeing the next?

      Possibly, I have emailed and asked the question but I'm gathering they wont be much difference, probably the same as most these days were there is very little difference in cost :)

    8. #8

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      39
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by newjez View Post
      1st world problems. Enjoy you lucky so and so. Dead jealous.

      Make sure you note which car bay you are in, the bays are huge. Use a sat nav if you can, makes driving less stressful.
      Sat-Nav is included, i made sure of that :)

      Been looking at the prices of food etc over there, cannot believe how cheap it actually is

    9. #9

      Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Join Date
      Oct 2013
      Location
      From Leeds, now Brisbane since 1999
      Posts
      4,090
      Liked
      3570 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Jamiemadden7 View Post
      Sat-Nav is included, i made sure of that :)

      Been looking at the prices of food etc over there, cannot believe how cheap it actually is
      There will be a state tax of approx. 6% almost always added on at the till (dollar shop! that will be $1.06 please at the till) plus almost mandatory tips of 20%. I have been chased down the street before after forgetting a tip. Tips are almost the main source of wages for them.
      Enjoying life in Queensland

    10. #10

      Title
      Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      39
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Keith and Linda View Post
      There will be a state tax of approx. 6% almost always added on at the till (dollar shop! that will be $1.06 please at the till) plus almost mandatory tips of 20%. I have been chased down the street before after forgetting a tip. Tips are almost the main source of wages for them.
      Is it just restaurants that you tip? or do they expect it in fast food outlets etc?

     

  •  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Wish prices in Oz were as cheap as Florida
      By twinsmom65 in forum Chewing the fat
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: 20-03-2014, 03:06 PM
    2. Perth to Florida via UK
      By Tracyb37 in forum Flights / Holidays
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM
    3. Sinkhole swallows up Florida man
      By snifter in forum Chewing the fat
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM
    4. Anyone been to Sea*World, Florida?
      By Harpodom in forum Chewing the fat
      Replies: 10
      Last Post: 13-11-2012, 12:35 PM
    5. Disneyland Florida
      By Sherbetdip23 in forum News, Chat & Dilemmas
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 26-03-2011, 10:22 AM
    Copyright © 2005 - 2016 PomsInOz.com
    All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM.