Florida

Jamiemadden7

Hello All,

Off to Florida in about 2 weeks, been given 2 weeks free car hire, but need to add the costs on top of insurance which is about $250 and then fuel, parking at Disney which is going to cost around $120 overall VS public transport of $16 a week. Costs are split between 4 except the public transfer which is each.

Staying on International Drive (Rosen Inn International) if that helps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is this someone lending you their car? the reason I ask is (from experience) if something breaks down on the car then you would possibly have the cost of those repairs and no car and all associated hassles until it is fixed.

A lot of the hotels have free shuttles to the theme parks. I just went on trip advisor to have a look, try this link you may find some useful info https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g34515-i19-k6051398-Free_Shuttle_to_Theme_Parks_in_Orlando-Orlando_Florida.html

Let me know how it is, my friend is staying in that place but in june. I stayed in southern dunes last time but if i was to go back id stay on international drive.

You might find it easier to just use shuttle buses unless you're going way out. I think your accommodation is right beside universal studios

If it helps its right next door to the 'worlds largest McDonalds' Pretty close to the Ripley's Believe it or not looking at it on the map

The car is coming free with the package, but you have to pay the insurance costs on top which is pretty high, then $20 in each park to leave your car their.

However you can buy a week long ticket on the 'Lynx' which is $16 but obviously stuck to a certain schedule with it.

Hello All,

Off to Florida in about 2 weeks, been given 2 weeks free car hire, but need to add the costs on top of insurance which is about $250 and then fuel, parking at Disney which is going to cost around $120 overall VS public transport of $16 a week. Costs are split between 4 except the public transfer which is each.

1st world problems. Enjoy you lucky so and so. Dead jealous.

Make sure you note which car bay you are in, the bays are huge. Use a sat nav if you can, makes driving less stressful.

Looks like you have pretty much worked out your costings, so really down to convenience and ability to go other places other than theme parks in the two week period. Could you just have (as in insure) the car for a week? theme parks one week sight seeing the next?

Possibly, I have emailed and asked the question but I'm gathering they wont be much difference, probably the same as most these days were there is very little difference in cost :)

1st world problems. Enjoy you lucky so and so. Dead jealous.

Make sure you note which car bay you are in, the bays are huge. Use a sat nav if you can, makes driving less stressful.

Sat-Nav is included, i made sure of that :)

Been looking at the prices of food etc over there, cannot believe how cheap it actually is

Been looking at the prices of food etc over there, cannot believe how cheap it actually is

There will be a state tax of approx. 6% almost always added on at the till (dollar shop! that will be $1.06 please at the till) plus almost mandatory tips of 20%. I have been chased down the street before after forgetting a tip. Tips are almost the main source of wages for them.

There will be a state tax of approx. 6% almost always added on at the till (dollar shop! that will be $1.06 please at the till) plus almost mandatory tips of 20%. I have been chased down the street before after forgetting a tip. Tips are almost the main source of wages for them.

Is it just restaurants that you tip? or do they expect it in fast food outlets etc?

Guest The Pom Queen
Hello All,

We stayed in the Rosen International last year and it was great. They do a shuttle to Disney and Universal, I can't remember if it was free or how much it was. Ask for a room that's facing the pool it's nicer than staring at the road, plus the car park gets busy with people coming and going so if you are around that side and on the ground floor expect noise.

Mc Donald's is in the car park and there is a Denny's there. Obviously plenty of more you can walk to on I Drive.

In regards to insurance I would recommend top cover, whilst we were at Universal someone had drove straight in to our drivers side door and we had to climb over the passenger side to get in. We used Alamo and they were excellent with us. Also don't forget to save change for tolls. Oh and a top tip don't throw in Australian coins by mistake and drive through as the alarms go off ?

Guest The Pom Queen

Food is cheap, at the hotel they have a small buffet (very tiny) but we didn't eat there. Hubby and my son use to just get hot dogs and subs from the onsite shop. They had a bar which I believe served food but again we didn't use it. There is an off license across the road. I'm trying to remember the name of the other all you can eat that's across from maccas, I think it's Golden Coral but I may be wrong, but that was a lot nicer than sizzler. If you are just doing theme parks and I Drive then to be honest you don't need a car. We were there for just under 3 months and travelled everywhere so that's why we had one.

Guest The Pom Queen

Jamie just a thought you will be there for the Halloween nights, the universal ones are fantastic although we did the Hollywood one last year and Orlando the time before. Tickets sell out fast but it is absolutely fantastic, another tip if you do go, then get a fast pass. Some of the haunted houses the queues were 3 hours plus.

Guest The Pom Queen
Jamie just a thought you will be there for the Halloween nights, the universal ones are fantastic although we did the Hollywood one last year and Orlando the time before. Tickets sell out fast but it is absolutely fantastic, another tip if you do go get a fast pass. Some of the haunted houses the queues were 3 hours plus.

Here is the link http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/

I stayed on International Drive many years ago and had a car. Wished I hadn't. Shuttle buses run to the theme parks and restaurants etc are close by. The buses also take you right to the entrance but you often park in a huge lot half a mile away.

I also think that organised trips to places like Kennedy Space Station are more enjoyable than driving.

Oh, and when you arrive without a car you are transferred to the resort but organising and getting your car can take hours what with taking a bus out to a huge parking lot and finding the thing. If you arrive at night it is doubly stressful familiarising yourself with a new vehicle and finding your way to your hotel.

Just my thoughts......

Hello All,

I've been lucky enough to have been to Florida around 10 times in my lifetime so if you need any help just pm me, if you want to cut down on Disney parking, park at downtown Disney and get a free shuttle bus, who's your car hire with? if Alamo, join Alamo insiders club you get free insurance, free tank of fuel and a free upgrade, they may have changed some of the perks though, travel insurance we normally go with atlas, costs us around £40-£60 for all 6 of us, you must visit Sarasota, it's by far the best beach in Florida and one of the best in the entire us and while there visit Yoda's restaurant the food is beautiful, also and air boat ride, have a look at http://www.attraction-tickets-direct.co.uk/2 the forum is full of info, tickets are price matched and you get loads of freebies, back to parking in Disney, my advise arrive early as in before it opens for best parking, the parking lots are HUGE!!!!

Do you have any other parks planned? if I went back the one thing I would do apart from Sarasota is go back to discovery cove this was the single best day of the entire 10 holidays I've had in Florida, it's not cheap but all food and drink is included and the amount of visitors restricted.

I stayed on International Drive many years ago and had a car. Wished I hadn't. Shuttle buses run to the theme parks and restaurants etc are close by. The buses also take you right to the entrance but you often park in a huge lot half a mile away.

I also think that organised trips to places like Kennedy Space Station are more enjoyable than driving.

Oh, and when you arrive without a car you are transferred to the resort but organising and getting your car can take hours what with taking a bus out to a huge parking lot and finding the thing. If you arrive at night it is doubly stressful familiarising yourself with a new vehicle and finding your way to your hotel.

Just my thoughts......

I've never waited hours for my car, the car pick up is a 2min walk from the terminals and most i've ever waited is 10-15 mins max most the time it's a matter of signing and told to go pick a car.

I also preferred the freedom of a car, getting to the beach when we wanted was easy didn't have to do all the tourist stuff wasn't stuck waiting around much easier with a car and driving in Florida is really easy.

Jamie just a thought you will be there for the Halloween nights, the universal ones are fantastic although we did the Hollywood one last year and Orlando the time before. Tickets sell out fast but it is absolutely fantastic, another tip if you do go, then get a fast pass. Some of the haunted houses the queues were 3 hours plus.

Halloween in the us is fantastic, I was in New York in 2009 for Halloween I felt the odd one out as everyone and I mean everyone was dressed up, just amazing.

Food is cheap, at the hotel they have a small buffet (very tiny) but we didn't eat there. Hubby and my son use to just get hot dogs and subs from the onsite shop. They had a bar which I believe served food but again we didn't use it. There is an off license across the road. I'm trying to remember the name of the other all you can eat that's across from maccas, I think it's Golden Coral but I may be wrong, but that was a lot nicer than sizzler. If you are just doing theme parks and I Drive then to be honest you don't need a car. We were there for just under 3 months and travelled everywhere so that's why we had one.

Golden Corral for breakfast WOW that place has all the food you could ever ask for, freshly cook omelette, strawberries and cream you name it.

Hello All,

I used to live in Florida. PM me if you need any extra info.

Just be aware that there are many free buses to the numerous parks, so you won't need to drive and pay for parking all of the time if you don't want to.

I went 6 years ago this month and found it cheap too but i always forgot the tax, its annoying. And you have to tip pretty much everything. be careful with the driving too, we found it to be quite bad. On our first night we drove past like 5 crashes. Other than that its great. Enjoy!

Guest The Pom Queen
I've never waited hours for my car, the car pick up is a 2min walk from the terminals and most i've ever waited is 10-15 mins max most the time it's a matter of signing and told to go pick a car.

I also preferred the freedom of a car, getting to the beach when we wanted was easy didn't have to do all the tourist stuff wasn't stuck waiting around much easier with a car and driving in Florida is really easy.

I guess that was Alamo as we had the same experience, but I remember going a few years earlier and think it was dollar and it was chaotic, then you had the sales pitch etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
Halloween in the us is fantastic, I was in New York in 2009 for Halloween I felt the odd one out as everyone and I mean everyone was dressed up, just amazing.

It's the same in Canada fantastic atmosphere