WHV next year!

CharlieB

Hi guys,

I have finally made the decision to do a WHV in Oz from February 2017. I have been planning to do this for a long time now, but will be hopefully booking this all next week!!!

I cant help but think I've forgotten something or I'm being too naïve about all of this.. I am 22 years old.

I know I need to book a 417 Visa, flights into Sydney, and travel insurance for backpackers (which is more expensive than I anticipated). I

don't have that much money - roughly $6,000. I am hoping to get a job straight away in Sydney and probably stay in the Maze hostel.

Am I going to struggle getting a job? I was a supervisor in a hotel/restaurant for 3 years and now I work for the Emergency Services (2 years).

I know I need to sort out my NAB bank which I'm going to do from the UK here online and pick up the card on my arrival to Oz.

I also need to pick up a Medicare card and an Australian sim card for my phone.

Is there anything that I've forgotten?

Anything I need to expect? I think I'm just starting to panic because this is becoming so real now!!

Thank you

A very nervous London girl

x

Hey!

I'm going to be heading there in Feburary too. You seem like you have all the basics. I think with this kind of thing you can't plan too much, as long as you have all your visa, flights, copy of bank statement etc you should be all good - then again it's a first time for me too!

Which travel insurance are you going with? This is something I still need to sort out!

Oh, don't! I have been going through so many comparison sites and companies!! I have no idea what one to go with.

I've seen that some people are struggling as they don't have a return ticket - which I wont!

I don't want to be spending loads as I'm quite the tight arse but I still want good cover :(

The best priced one I've seen is on Alpha Insurance, I think!

Where you heading from/too?

Oh, don't! I have been going through so many comparison sites and companies!! I have no idea what one to go with.

I've seen that some people are struggling as they don't have a return ticket - which I wont!

I don't want to be spending loads as I'm quite the tight arse but I still want good cover :(

The best priced one I've seen is on Alpha Insurance, I think!

Where you heading from/too?

Ahhh... I've not even started looking.

I'm planning on not having a return ticket too...I'll be going from London to Sydney too! I've yet to book my ticket but got my eye on Skyscanner - they're about £400. How have people been struggling?

EEEEeeeee how exciting

I'm going to be using Sky Scanner also! Hoping to go from Heathrow to Sydney around the 2nd of February as I get back from a 3 week holiday in Thailand on the 29th Jan!

Prices are looking to be about £480!!

I'm going to book all my tickets and Vsa on Tuesday evening before prices get higher and so its enough time for my Visa to get accepted incase they want to send me for a medical or something like that!

I am so excited and scared!! Hahaha

Hey charlie

I used go walkabout for my trip. I didnt have to claim but they seemed fine and had a good reputation. It worked out less than £200 if i remember correctly and that included other countries on top of australia. I didnt have a return ticket either. I think you'll be okay for jobs, some of my friends found it easier to find work there than other areas. People are always leaving etc. Try some agencies and definitely gumtree

Gumtree is quite a big thing over there for jobs. If you do struggle to find a job in sydney then a good backup plan might be working in a country pub or au pairing if you like chikdren. I worked in 2 country/outback pubs and it was a good experience. I saved $3000 in 6 weeks the first time.. the second time saving didnt go as well haha.

If you have any other questions then give me a shout. Have a great time, it goes in so quickly. I wish i could do mine again now

I'm going to be using Sky Scanner also! Hoping to go from Heathrow to Sydney around the 2nd of February as I get back from a 3 week holiday in Thailand on the 29th Jan!

Prices are looking to be about £480!!

I'm going to book all my tickets and Vsa on Tuesday evening before prices get higher and so its enough time for my Visa to get accepted incase they want to send me for a medical or something like that!

I am so excited and scared!! Hahaha

Do check the airline as well as skyscanner - with the add ons it can work out more expensive.

I'm all booked!

My boyfriend got his visa through within a minute and I'm still waiting for mine.

Unfortunately, I think its because I had to tick "have you ever worked for the military service, police service" etc :(

Do you know why this is or how long I'd roughly be waiting?

Hi, you don't need a Medicare card for a WHV. Basic healthcare is reciprocal as you're from the UK as you're essentially still 'on holiday'- But you WILL need good travel insurance (I got a year travel insurance through Insure and Go).

I did my WHV 5 years ago - times were different, but it took me about 2 months to find work - so make sure you've got enough cash to get you through 2 or 3 months.

Setting up a bank account is easy - I went with ANZ and the service was swift and easy.

You'll also need a Tax File number (basically like a national insurance number here in the UK) so you can work. Just google Tax File Number.

Once you're earning the Aussie dollar things will be easier and as you have hospitality experience picking up bar and waiting work would be beneficial, but if you're a hard worker they'll hire you. They often do a 'trial' with you for an hour, to see what you're like.

Let me know if you have any more questions - I've been and done it and it was amazing, enjoy!

Guest Unregistered
Thank you for your help!

Just want my visa to come through now but I expect it to be a month or so before its accepted!

Ooh I hope it gets accepted soon! I booked my flight today! Decided to go to Melbourne for a couple of weeks then make my way to Sydney to job hunt. Flight to Melbs was only £417. Went with STA in the end.

Hopefully it won't be too long for ya! The excitement has really hit me now 

• 2 weeks later...