Sending a few boxes from the UK to Tasmania

Bound4Tassie

Can anyone suggest any cheap (ha!) ways of sending a few boxes (say 3 or 4 large cardboard boxes)?

I've looked up Seven Sea and geezus it's extortionate to get your stuff to Tassie!! £450 to get 4 boxes over!

We had wanted a small move cube but they won't do door to door to Tas - picking up from Melbourne would be a logistical nightmare! SO we were hoping to fit a few things we'd really like in Aus into boxes.

Royal mail almost looks cheaper for a few boxes! Unless they are not telling me about charges in Aus I might get!

Are there any other couriers etc I could look at?

That's the trouble with moving to Tasmania! Once you get there, your cost of housing will be so much cheaper than the rest of Australia, you'll make up for it - but the cost to get your stuff moved over there is a different story!

We were considering Hobart at one point. To move our stuff from storage in Sydney to Melbourne was quoted at $2,000. To move it from Sydney to Hobart, $5,000. The crossing is what makes it so expensive, no way around it I'm afraid.

Thanks I'll check them out

Good luck with it, but like I said it's the crossing that's the problem. I came across a blog about moving to Tasmania that was very helpful. The blogger had moved from Perth. It cost her more to get her stuff shipped from Melbourne to Tassie than it did to get it from Perth to Melbourne!

Guest The Pom Queen

I've just had a look for you and to Tasmania or Melbourne it would be 86gbp for 20kg so no difference to mainland Australia

That's the trouble with moving to Tasmania! Once you get there, your cost of housing will be so much cheaper than the rest of Australia, you'll make up for it - but the cost to get your stuff moved over there is a different story!

We were considering Hobart at one point. To move our stuff from storage in Sydney to Melbourne was quoted at $2,000. To move it from Sydney to Hobart, $5,000. The crossing is what makes it so expensive, no way around it I'm afraid.

We moved a whole container from Sydney to Devonport and it was just over $3,000. There are two haulage ships which cross the Bass Strait from Melbourne to Devonport/Launceston daily. We used Wridgeways to transport from Sydney and they organised everything else.