Keeping UK mobile phone number once in Oz

Serendipity

Hi, a quick question:

I would like to keep my uk mobile phone number active once I emigrate. Just for 6 -12 months or so during the transition period. I'll get a new contract once I'm there for my main mobile.

My current O2 contract finishes pretty much the week before we emigrate.

My plan is to transfer my number to a pay as you go UK SIM, then keep it in an old phone so I can monitor calls and texts that I still get.

Does anyone know if this would work ok? I'd not be using it, just keeping it active for a while as I've had the number a long time.

Are there any networks that are better for UK use in Oz (as I'm assuming I can switch to any network once my contract has ended).

Thanks

We are with 3 and going on a reccie end of next week. We spoke to three and they said you can use the phone just like in uk for up to 3 months at a time so it may be a short term solution. You probably won't want a uk number longer then this as most places in Australia will not want to ring a uk mobile number to contact you.

You can do as you planned - I had a UK number for years with O2 by topping it up and keeping it current by using it every 2 months or so. It'll need international roaming

The 3 at home is good for short visits - I think it is 2 months duration not three though. And you have to sign up to a contract in order to access it - one of their Advanced plans, not the Essential ones so it might not be a very economical solution in the longer term. My DH used it when we were in Aus in January and it was very handy but it was almost as cheap for me to buy a bottom of the range Samsung with a month's really good cover from Vodafone for my month.

If you bought a phone on your contract, your first thing will be to get your phone unlocked before you leave or you won't be able to put any other telco sim into it - it's easier to get them unlocked in UK than in Aus from my experience

Edited by Quoll

I've don't live in the UK but I've had a UK sim for a few years now. I've got an EE sim that I keep 5 or 6 pounds on and every 5 months or so I send a text to keep it alive. If you want to actually make answer calls with it though, this will not be a good option for you.