IMF crowns the u.k the worlds fastest growing major economy.

bunbury61

Strictly speaking we would have been raising interest rates about now. We and the USA seem to have picked up the ball. Brexits devaluation of the pound has put a firecracker under it.

There shouldn't be any brexit pain for awhile. So as long as trump doesn't get in it should be smooth sailing for the short term.

Footsie at record highs......

[h=1]FTSE 100 hits new all-time high[/h]Share

16:45 04 Oct 2016

The FTSE 100 index surpassed its all-time closing high during the day but could not sustain it

757z468_shutterstock_252511228.jpgSell the pound & gold; buy equities

Sterling and gold got it in the neck on Tuesday but the Footsie made a serious run at breaking its previous all-time high.

The FTSE 100 closed at 7,074, up 91 points (1.3%), having reached the heady heights of 7,122 at one point today – above the record closing level of 7,104.

With gold back below US$1,300 an ounce for the first time in 15 weeks to around US$1,275, it was no surprise that precious metals miners Randgold Resources Ltd (LON:RRS) and Fresnillo PLC (LON:FRES) failed to do their bit to push the blue-chip index to a new high.

The former shed 5.9% and the latter 5.6%.

For most first liners, however, Tuesday was a day for celebrating sterling’s spell in the doghouse – the Footsie being chock full of multi-national companies that earn more in dollars than they do in pounds.

Intertek Group PLC (LON:ITRK), the quality testing group, received an extra boost from Jefferies, which switched its stance from ‘under-perform’ to ‘buy’, with the target price going up to 4,300p from 3,000p.

If deflation appears to be taking hold, interest rates will most likely rise to counter that. A low wage economy will unlikely be enough to counter that happening. Business hates uncertainty. The mainland or Ireland may well be looking far better options as negotiations to exit progress.

Typo? You mean inflation?

That is the irony. The EU has kept inflation down allowing us to grow without raising rates. Obviously that will change but not for three years. There will be currency devaluation induced inflation, but much less than I thought. Haven't seen any yet. Inflation is not a short term problem that we need to worry about.

Even petrol hasn't gone up.

Anyone waiting for a better pound may wait awhile.

Edited by newjez

Typo? You mean inflation?

That is the irony. The EU has kept inflation down allowing us to grow without raising rates. Obviously that will change but not for three years. There will be currency devaluation induced inflation, but much less than I thought. Haven't seen any yet. Inflation is not a short term problem that we need to worry about.

Even petrol hasn't gone up.

Anyone waiting for a better pound may wait awhile.

Well Ob v iou sly......makes perfect sense....all with all you other predictions.....lol

Seriously though if UK manufacturing could not capitalise on the sales potential/competitive advantage of a 20% devaluation in the currency while enjoying full access to the European single market then it would have to have been in a hopeless state.

For the time being at least enjoy that pre-Brexit boom.

• 4 weeks later...
Seriously though if UK manufacturing could not capitalise on the sales potential/competitive advantage of a 20% devaluation in the currency while enjoying full access to the European single market then it would have to have been in a hopeless state.

For the time being at least enjoy that pre-Brexit boom.

I don't know if you have a Costco up in QLD, we had a load of English in Canberra promoting cheese last week. Lots of extra brands, giving out samples etc.

I asked the bloke in charge why they were over here right now promoting it, when it's been on the shelves for months.

He said it was because they don't expect the Brits to be able to afford to pay the required price in future, so they're taking advantage of the weakening pound to strike deals to send more overseas....otherwise they'd be stuffed if they relied solely on UK sales.

Good for UK exports and will keep people in jobs, but as with a lot of things, it won't be as good for the quality of life for UK folk if they can't afford the best produce the country manufactures.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Sorry, but these aren't the "best of British cheeses". They are the type the big supermarkets sell in trios on little cheese boards.

The best of British cheeses are generally artisan and as a result not in the slightest affected by the pound. The only ones that are, are those owned by large multi nationals who want to maintain profit levels. The low pound will actually be very good for the real best of British food as the gimmick ones will price up, while the genuine won't and turn people to be more aware of the very good that is drowned out by mass market supermarket stuff.

For example, I buy my meat from a local butcher, who in turn buys from a couple of farms who slaughter themselves. He is forecasting prices may, if anything reduce. This is some of the best meat I have ever had in fhe world - woodland reared pork, balmoral venison, organic 40 day aged beef and marshland lamb.

I have, as some members know being playing with the idea of becoming an artisanal food supplier / producer for some time (have done some trial goes and getting more keen) there is nothing, going through my business plan that needs adjusting price wise post brexit.

Sorry, but these aren't the "best of British cheeses". They are the type the big supermarkets sell in trios on little cheese boards.

The best of British cheeses are generally artisan and as a result not in the slightest affected by the pound. The only ones that are, are those owned by large multi nationals who want to maintain profit levels. The low pound will actually be very good for the real best of British food as the gimmick ones will price up, while the genuine won't and turn people to be more aware of the very good that is drowned out by mass market supermarket stuff.

For example, I buy my meat from a local butcher, who in turn buys from a couple of farms who slaughter themselves. He is forecasting prices may, if anything reduce. This is some of the best meat I have ever had in fhe world - woodland reared pork, balmoral venison, organic 40 day aged beef and marshland lamb.

I have, as some members know being playing with the idea of becoming an artisanal food supplier / producer for some time (have done some trial goes and getting more keen) there is nothing, going through my business plan that needs adjusting price wise post brexit.

This is a different subject, but...I couldn't give a **** what they taste like or what they say, it's just a lump of cheese to me.

The rebuttal was to the other bloke who said it wasn't happening.

The low pound will be good for anything made in the UK...whether it's factory or handmade, beggars can't be choosers with exports when somebody elses money is worth more than your own.

We toyed with making "artisan" blackberry jam over here, it's so pretentious and a license to print money.

Boil it up in a pan and jar it, take it down the farmers market, stick a Union Jack on the jar and say it was artisan Scottish Bramble jelly made with real Scottish hands from an ancient Scottish recipe using ingredients that were originally imported into Australia 200 years ago!

They'll swallow anything like that :-)

Its the gain before the pain ...the e.u will not let us get away scot free .

we have been feeding off the EU, and gaining from their loses because we don't use the euro. If we had the euro we would be basket cases. It could still be happy days if we keep the single market. Best of both worlds.

The EU are bricking it, if we go for a hard Brexit, and the sky doesn't fall in, tens of millions EU citizens will be wondering what the point of the EU is, that's why May keeps on about a hard Brexit, because she knows it's the last thing they want.
you think that is her negotiating strategy. Bit like OJ Simpson driving along with a gun to his own head? Still, it worked for him.

I haven't eaten red meat for years, and the cluster outbreak near Syston Leicestershire in I think 2000, which although never completely proved was possibly linked back to a local butcher.

Realise that safety measures are in place, but the outbreak was too close to home to me, and I knew the parent of someone who lost his life.

stilton cheese from Colston Bassett takes some beating especially with the addition of port at Christmas.

Edited by ramot

I haven't eaten red meat for years, and the cluster outbreak near Syston Leicestershire in I think 2000, which although never completely proved was possibly linked back to a local butcher.

Realise that safety measures are in place, but the outbreak was too close to home to me, and I knew the parent of someone who lost his life.

stilton cheese from Colston Bassett takes some beating especially with the addition of port at Christmas.

Shut UP- I am so jealous of that cheese.

blessed are the cheese makers!

Our local garden centre has recently opened up a local produce area. It is mouth watering.

Edited by newjez