A confused.com hello

LadyBlaze

Hello! I'm currently contemplating a move from Glasgow to Adelaide after a job offer presented itself. The conundrum I'm facing is that my current employer has offered me a pay Rise/new job to stay! I absolutely love Glasgow, have a lovely wee flat and an adorable cat. But the adventure that a new job in Adelaide would bring is also tempting. I'm 32 and have a (relatively new) partner, but he likely won't come as his profession doesn't transfer (Gas Engineer) and I don't think he could get on my 457 visa. I have t accepted the job yet as I'm still negotiating, but I'm in such a quandary about whether to go for it. I have so many questions so hopefully engaging in this forum will help me get to a decision, before I blink and all offers are gone as I've taken so bloody long!!! ?

I must admit, I would stay where you are if you love it. Have you visited Adelaide?

I tend to agree with this.

If you've visited Adelaide before and loved it and want to do a few years here for the experience on a 457, of course consider it, but consider it very carefully and realise all the pitfalls of migrating to a new country and city alone. All the things it will mean, not just for you but your cat :) Adelaide isn't for everyone and if you are on your own, it could be hard going. Also a 457 could be ended at any time by your employer and you'll have a short period of time to find a new sponsor or head back to the UK. Also the costs you'll need to factor in. Plus you'd be leaving a new relationship before its really had a chance and continuing long distance even in a solid longer term relationship can be hard going. Also it can be very distracting from being able to get on and enjoy and live life in a new country, even if it is only for a few years.

If you have not visited, are happy in your life and home and have the chance of a new job/promotion there that you would like/love, then stay put. Visit Australia on holiday and if you truly feel you want to migrate at a later point, then look at the PR route if your job is on the occupation list. Perhaps by then you'll know if the new relationship has legs or if a move is really what you want or if you are happy with just the holiday :)

I think you'd enjoy Adelaide BUT the thing that worries me is your relationship. If you've been in a live-in relationship for 6 months he probably could be included on your 457, but would he want to go? He would need to look into it carefully as he might have to do exams, and work at a more junior level for a year, to get his qualifications recognised in Australia.

If you haven't been living together as man and wife for at least six months, then he can't be included and that means you're effectively walking out on the relationship if you go: it will be very difficult for him to join you in Australia in the future.

It's nice to have an adventure but it sounds like this one has come up at the wrong time.

Edited by Marisawright

Hello! I'm currently contemplating a move from Glasgow to Adelaide after a job offer presented itself. The conundrum I'm facing is that my current employer has offered me a pay Rise/new job to stay! I absolutely love Glasgow, have a lovely wee flat and an adorable cat. But the adventure that a new job in Adelaide would bring is also tempting. I'm 32 and have a (relatively new) partner, but he likely won't come as his profession doesn't transfer (Gas Engineer) and I don't think he could get on my 457 visa. I have t accepted the job yet as I'm still negotiating, but I'm in such a quandary about whether to go for it. I have so many questions so hopefully engaging in this forum will help me get to a decision, before I blink and all offers are gone as I've taken so bloody long!!! 樂

If you are loving where you live - have a job you enjoy plus a payrise - stay there. You could always come to Adelaide for a holiday sometime.

you must have had your reasons for wanting the adventure & applying for a job in oz in the first place. you just need to decide if you still want the adventure or if you want to stick with what you know. some people like to spread there wings & experience new things but other people just think they want it & then change there mind when they actually get a opportunity. you sound like the type that was more interested in the idea of it than actually doing it but only you know what you really want to do with your life.

Thank you so much for the welcome guys, and the much appreciated advice! The job offer has just literally come through renegotiated with the conditions I was looking for - it's an amazing career opportunity at one of the universities in Adelaide, who are bound by many policies and conditions that i think would make it tricky to end my visa as its a permanent role. I have a call with their immigration officer next week to discuss options but I gather they'll want me on a 457 for speed. So between posting my initial intro at 1am ish uk time, and this reply at 3am ish, I've had an email that has cemented my decision - it looks like I'm moving to Australia!

Ive been to Adelaide twice for a conference, and really enjoyed it, though I realise holidaying/business is much different to living. I've travelled to Australia 6 times now and have to say I found it to be the most 'liveable' in my eyes, though I have a lot to learn about the city and Australian life. I'm hoping to get involved in the forum a lot more in the run up to the big move though :). I'm at a stage in life where I believe this type of leap of faith is possible, and I'm the sort of person that will make the most of the opportunity, no matter what. My current employer has been brilliant, and if it really doesn't work out, I'll need to pay back the relocation costs involved in the package, but I'll likely be able to get a job back home. I'll keep my flat here and rent it out so I have a wee nest egg, and I know a few people through work networks who will hopefully be able to help me find my feet in Adelaide. My partner doesn't think he can come over, but he knows this is too good an opportunity to pass up, esp after the renegotiated contract. My gorgeous wee cat won't be able to come as he's a breed that would be put in danger flying, but he'll stay with my mum so he'll be well looked after.

I dont doubt this is the hardest, most overwhelming and painful thing I'll ever do, but we only get one life on this earth, and I'm determined to make it count. Glasgow will always have my heart, but Adelaide is offering me a career opportunity of a lifetime. Time to be brave.

Thank you so much for the welcome guys, and the much appreciated advice! The job offer has just literally come through renegotiated with the conditions I was looking for - it's an amazing career opportunity at one of the universities in Adelaide, who are bound by many policies and conditions that i think would make it tricky to end my visa as its a permanent role. I have a call with their immigration officer next week to discuss options but I gather they'll want me on a 457 for speed. So between posting my initial intro at 1am ish uk time, and this reply at 3am ish, I've had an email that has cemented my decision - it looks like I'm moving to Australia!

Ive been to Adelaide twice for a conference, and really enjoyed it, though I realise holidaying/business is much different to living. I've travelled to Australia 6 times now and have to say I found it to be the most 'liveable' in my eyes, though I have a lot to learn about the city and Australian life. I'm hoping to get involved in the forum a lot more in the run up to the big move though :). I'm at a stage in life where I believe this type of leap of faith is possible, and I'm the sort of person that will make the most of the opportunity, no matter what. My current employer has been brilliant, and if it really doesn't work out, I'll need to pay back the relocation costs involved in the package, but I'll likely be able to get a job back home. I'll keep my flat here and rent it out so I have a wee nest egg, and I know a few people through work networks who will hopefully be able to help me find my feet in Adelaide. My partner doesn't think he can come over, but he knows this is too good an opportunity to pass up, esp after the renegotiated contract. My gorgeous wee cat won't be able to come as he's a breed that would be put in danger flying, but he'll stay with my mum so he'll be well looked after.

I dont doubt this is the hardest, most overwhelming and painful thing I'll ever do, but we only get one life on this earth, and I'm determined to make it count. Glasgow will always have my heart, but Adelaide is offering me a career opportunity of a lifetime. Time to be brave.

All the very best LadyBlaze and let us know how things are going for you once you have made the move. :smile:

it's an amazing career opportunity at one of the universities in Adelaide, who are bound by many policies and conditions that i think would make it tricky to end my visa as its a permanent role. I have a call with their immigration officer next week to discuss options but I gather they'll want me on a 457 for speed. ...My partner doesn't think he can come over, but he knows this is too good an opportunity to pass up, esp after the renegotiated contract. My gorgeous wee cat won't be able to come as he's a breed that would be put in danger flying, but he'll stay with my mum so he'll be well looked after.

So it's really a permanent job, the 457 is just to get you there as fast as possible - then I assume you will start the process of converting to PR once you're there. I can see why you feel it's worth it. it sounds exciting!

I know it's an extra cost, but I'd suggest having a consultation with a MARA registered agent about your relationship and what the prospects are, because that's the one tricky bit of the whole deal.

IF he would qualify as your de facto, then he doesn't need to prove any skills - he would just come on your visa. If that's the case then I'd advise adding him even if he's not going to move with you. That way if he can't bear living in Glasgow without you, he can come over at a later date. It would also count towards evidence of your relationship for your eventual PR application.

The big problem is that if you can't put him on your 457, then you could be in difficulties trying to bring him over later. If you decide to stay permanently and want to include him in that visa, you'll need to prove you've been living together as man and wife for 12 months - which of course you won't be, as you're in Adelaide and he's in Glasgow. Some people have been able to get around that by pleading extenuating circumstances - BUT they would likely hold you to a higher standard of evidence.

It would be a great shame if you got to Adelaide, adored it, and then found you had to make a choice between Australia and your partner because there was no way to bring him to Australia. Don't think that couldn't happen - you'd think getting a partner visa would be an easy thing but it's surprisingly hard to do, both for British partners coming to Australia and Australian partners moving to the UK. There are thousands of married couples stuck in separate countries right now because of it!

Edited by Marisawright

So it's really a permanent job, the 457 is just to get you there as fast as possible - then I assume you will start the process of converting to PR once you're there. I can see why you feel it's worth it. it sounds exciting!

I know it's an extra cost, but I'd suggest having a consultation with a MARA registered agent about your relationship and what the prospects are, because that's the one tricky bit of the whole deal.

IF he would qualify as your de facto, then he doesn't need to prove any skills - he would just come on your visa. If that's the case then I'd advise adding him even if he's not going to move with you. That way if he can't bear living in Glasgow without you, he can come over at a later date. It would also count towards evidence of your relationship for your eventual PR application.

The big problem is that if you can't put him on your 457, then you could be in difficulties trying to bring him over later. If you decide to stay permanently and want to include him in that visa, you'll need to prove you've been living together as man and wife for 12 months - which of course you won't be, as you're in Adelaide and he's in Glasgow. Some people have been able to get around that by pleading extenuating circumstances - BUT they would likely hold you to a higher standard of evidence.

It would be a great shame if you got to Adelaide, adored it, and then found you had to make a choice between Australia and your partner because there was no way to bring him to Australia. Don't think that couldn't happen - you'd think getting a partner visa would be an easy thing but it's surprisingly hard to do, both for British partners coming to Australia and Australian partners moving to the UK. There are thousands of married couples stuck in separate countries right now because of it!

thank you so much for this advice! Because I was in the process of getting a divorce, we've never lived together, so de facto is nigh on impossible. We're absolutely devastated, but it's just not going to be be possible to get a visa together I don't think.

Ah, now you've explained the job offer and so on more then that seems to make sense and sounds like a good situation.

And at least you've visited Adelaide and so have an idea of what you are walking in to.

FWIW, all may not be lost for your partner. There are some changes coming to the WHV I believe, hopefully sooner rather than later and if he qualifies within those changes it would open a door to him being able to move over and you to hopefully be together. I'm just not sure when these changes are happening.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacking-whv/251907-backpacker-visa-changes-tax-update.html

I'm in Adelaide and very happy here but it is not for everyone. However, having a job to come to is the biggest hurdle overcome and will probably make a huge difference in how you settle and adapt and build a life. Not finding work is the biggest reason people seem to struggle here in Adelaide when they migrate and for some it can cause untold upset and stress and spoil their migration and what they've worked so hard toward.

Drop me a message and am happy to chat re Adelaide and try to give you suggestions/pointers.

Are you certain that there is no skilled visa option for a gas engineer for South Australia? If he really wants to join you this might be worth exploring.

It may be on the list for SA but in reality I don't know there are actually that many jobs available in the Adelaide area and the re training etc that would need to be done could be a real struggle to overcome initially. So often in SA is strikes me the jobs that are on the list, the demand isn't in and around Adelaide as there often seems to be an oversupply and lots of people in the local job market but in the more country or rural areas and not many migrants (or Aussies) want to go to those places to live.

Thank you so much gbye grey sky. It's such an overwhelming thought leaving my home and life in Glasgow, but it's the career opportunity of a lifetime and I'm glad that this will hopefully mean one less hurdle to worry about :) I'm nervous about finding a place to live so I'll def drop you a message if that's ok :) what a friendly forum!

Thank you so much gbye grey sky. It's such an overwhelming thought leaving my home and life in Glasgow, but it's the career opportunity of a lifetime and I'm glad that this will hopefully mean one less hurdle to worry about :) I'm nervous about finding a place to live so I'll def drop you a message if that's ok :) what a friendly forum!

You should have no trouble finding somewhere nice in Adelaide, obviously it's best to rent for a while until you've got to know the areas. You won't be able to arrange a long-term rental from the UK, so book a holiday flat for a month (try Airbnb or Stayz.com).

Depending on what uni and where you'll be working from, there are a few members of the forum who have rentals for short term stays and one of them iirc has a studio place that might suit to start you off. Just depends where you would be working as you may not want too long a commute to start off and its in the southern coastal suburbs somewhere. However, if you are say happy taking the train to the CBD and then hopping over to the Adelaide uni buildings somewhere close by, she may have something to suit or know of someone who has something. If its Flinders, again, she may have something to suit.

:)

I'm in Adelaide - arrived just over a year ago and love it. Its been so easy to get settled and everyone has been really friendly. It's a tough decision to make but if you stay there you will always be wondering "what if....". It sounds like you are doing the right thing with regards to your job and your flat in the UK. Yes it may cost you financially if it turns out to have been the wrong decision but at least you will have given it a go. You've been to Australia several times so you have an idea of what you are getting into. There are people who aren't so keen on Adelaide as it is smaller than some of the other cities but it works really well for us.

You should have no trouble finding somewhere nice in Adelaide, obviously it's best to rent for a while until you've got to know the areas. You won't be able to arrange a long-term rental from the UK, so book a holiday flat for a month (try Airbnb or Stayz.com).

I'm overwhelmed by how lovely everyone is being! Thank you so much. I'll be up at Mawson Lakes so thinking CBD might be best bet to start with, but hoping to get a flatshare reasonably quickly so I'm not solo living for too long in a new place :)