A confused.com hello

LadyBlaze

I'm in Adelaide - arrived just over a year ago and love it. Its been so easy to get settled and everyone has been really friendly. It's a tough decision to make but if you stay there you will always be wondering "what if....". It sounds like you are doing the right thing with regards to your job and your flat in the UK. Yes it may cost you financially if it turns out to have been the wrong decision but at least you will have given it a go. You've been to Australia several times so you have an idea of what you are getting into. There are people who aren't so keen on Adelaide as it is smaller than some of the other cities but it works really well for us.

Thank you so so much for sharing your experience, it helps eradicate the fear for sure :) that 'what if' question is exactly what's driving me...better an 'oops' than a 'what if' always. I definitely like small - Glasgow is about the same size. - and I get the feeling there's a snobbery about Adelaide from folk in Sydney and Melbourne, but both of those just felt too big, like London. I can always visit at weekends :)

I'm overwhelmed by how lovely everyone is being! Thank you so much. I'll be up at Mawson Lakes so thinking CBD might be best bet to start with, but hoping to get a flatshare reasonably quickly so I'm not solo living for too long in a new place :)

If you are going to be at Mawson Lakes that must mean you are going to be working for UniSA. Not so sure I'd start in the CBD though. You could get a train or bus from the CBD to Mawson Lakes but the Uni campus is quite far from the train station. I'd be looking for somewhere at Mawson Lakes as short term accommodation to start with until you get a car and can explore areas to live a bit more. Once you have a car this would be the best way to commute to Mawson Lakes - parking is cheap and traffic is mostly flowing the other way. I know there are short term rentals at Mawson Lakes because our insurance company tried to put us in one when our house was flooded. I would see if the Uni can either arrange or recommend some short term accommodation for when you arrive.

I'm also in Adelaide, and in the North East suburbs so not far from Mawson Lakes. Feel free to ask if there is anything I can help you with. I know a friend has a place in Fairview Park (probably about 15 mins from Mawson Lakes) that she is thinking of letting out short term to people just arriving - I've sent her a link to this thread so she may be in touch in case it suits you :smile:

Oh thank you Bungo...do you fly him/her from the UK? It's a Persian/shorthair mix called exotic shorthair. Will likely follow this up in the pet forum as not sure of etiquette quite yet :)

Yes London to Sydney and back again. I have an exotic as well, who we acquired in Australia and he has just done one way.