getting a phone contract when you first arrive

The Raillys

Hi there,

I am on my last week in the UK, and we are super excited about our new life in Brisbane.

I need a new phone was was tempted to get a 24 month contract with a new handset.

However I am worried as that I may not have a credit score in Australia yet and will be declined.

I know here in the UK if you get declined it is a black mark against your credit score, and I would hate to do that when I first arrive.

Has anyone else go a mobile phone contract when they first arrived?

We are with THREE in the uk and they have a roaming agreement with Australia where your home rates apply and this can be done for up to 3 months at a time. So we plan on using our uk ones for first couple of months then cancelling contract so it ends at the end of third month. That way we have a couple of months to get sorted.

Guest Priscilla101

I walked in to vodaphone store 2 days after landing. Needed some id. I explained the situation. Guy just said let's give it a go. Went straight through. Most contracts offer you x amount of international minutes (makes calling home easier. Although I had taught my mam to use whatsapp before we left. And the deal I got gave unlimited internet for first month. Unbelievably easier as I had my daughters iPad hotspot ting and giving her internet too.

Mid you're going to use uk phone. Make sure it's unlocked. The little shops (ahem) don't do it here. So I have 2 expensive paperweights

My husband & I walked into a Vodafone store the day after arriving, neither of us had a job & we both managed to get 24 month contracts & brand new phones without any issues at all. We did however take a copy of our bank statements which had a substantial amount of money in so that possibly helped! You will need an address though before they'll let you have one - we used our friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worse case scenario is you get a PAYG option for a few months. Its not a biggie.

Personally I am glad I didn't get a contract straight after arriving as some of the providers are a bit patchy and we moved into the hills a few months later and in a black spot signal wise apart from one or two providers.

You can get good value PAYG deals...recommend you don't jump for a contract straight away!

Same i use Aldi and buy my phones outright, works out cheaper and more flexible.