Newby: Arrived in Oz 5 weeks ago :-)

The Holdens

Hi,

Just saying Hi.

We arrived in Australia from Manchester mid August and we are staying with friends in Helensvale on the Gold Coast. After 2-3 weeks, although the GC is too built up for us and not a place we ever thought we'd go for, we started to really enjoy the area and enrolled my DD into school (due to start on 4th Oct after holidays). However, 3 weekends of travelling up to the sunshine coast and a (5th) job offer for hubby, we really did feel like that was the kind of place we envisaged ourselves living on our move over here. So, we move into our rental on 16th October in Mountain Creek/Buderim area and just hope we've made the right decision choosing the Sunshine Coast to bring up our DD and DS. Made a couple of friends here on the GC and starting to know my way around and feel almost the same as I did setting off half way around the world less than 2 months ago as I do now, moving less than 2 hours north. Excitement and nerves kicking in but we came this far so need to make our own journey and not that that our friends chose (which is perfect for them, but not necessarily us).

Not missing anything from UK yet (except a certain yoghurt) but guessing homesickness will kick in soon!

Looking forward to chatting and reading other people's journeys on here

The Holdens x

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum. We have moved around a fair bit in our 12 years in Australia. So I'm sure you will settle in fine on the Sunny Coast and remember you are only a couple of hours from the GC. We are in the Lockyer Valley only just moved here and I'm currently driving up to Townsville to bring more of our furniture down. It's a 17 hour drive so to me I suppose 2 hours is nothing. You will soon get like that when you have been here a few years. I have only visited Noosa but loved it there and would have been happy if we had settled around there.

Its great having friends but it's also great that you don't have to live on each other's doorstep. One of my closest friends lives in Perth and I only see her once a year but it gives me something to look forward to. Mind you with children I bet you will spend a lot of time down at the theme parks, don't forget to get an annual pass.

I'd definitely go for Buderim or Mountain Creek over Helensvale too personally if work isn't an issue.

Don't know how old the kids are but should maybe look into them doing "nippers" at one of the local surf clubs if old enough. Meet lots of people and kids get a very healthy activity.

Welcome to Mountain Creek, I'v lived here for 13 years and very happy.

A lot older than you but have had no problem making great friends, so join any clubs activities you are interested in and I'm sure you will settle quickly, as so many people choose to move here they understand what it's like to be new.

ps Buderim runs a welcome coffee morning at the old Post Office fairly regularly, well worth going, we met a couple there when we arrived and are still friends, check on the Buderim info centre web site and the dates or contact number should be posted there.

Edited by ramot

We did our reccie in Sunshine Coast and loved it , ideally we would have loved to live there but work opportunities was not favourable for us and we live a stones throw away from Helensvale and been here 4 years . We love it here but given the choice I would have headed to the Sunshine Coast . Good luck on your journey I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice

Hi, we arrived on the sunshine coast a week ago and are completely loving it here. At the moment we are based in Mudjimba but are looming to settle in. Moorochydoore. If you fancy meeting up then that did be great. Good luck with everything. Michelle