Moving to Melbourne

Dtomo143

Hi Everyone

I'll apologise now as I'm sure you get this one all the time but I would like an up to the minute view. I'm sure things can change quick due to the amount of development in Victoria.

I would really appreciate some honest thoughts on nice suburbs if you can spare a few minutes. I will put as much detail as I can. Thought it would be easier not to provide ones we are looking at as the posts just turn into slating all the areas.

We are moving to Melbourne in November from the UK. Myself, wife and 2 boys 7 & 10. We are not city dwellers so will be looking anywhere from 20-60k outside CBD. Although I will work in CBD I am used to traveling 5-6 hours a day to work so anything less than that is a bonus.

Will rent for up to a year but will spend our first 10 days or so looking at different suburbs to settle in. We do t really want to move the kids around if we can help it.

We have a budget up to $600,000 but could push it to maybe $630,000 and the important factors are as follows:

decent size 4 bed (pool preferred but not a deal breaker)

decent plot ideally 600-800m but would consider less

safe neibourhood

decent government schools (don't need to be the best)

reasonable distance to train station for commute to CBD (this way we can get by with 1 car)

good for dogs

beach not essential

good community atmospher for families

Sorry it's a long one. Many thanks and look forward to joining you all

all thoughts much appreciated.

Dan

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dan w3lcome to the forum. I spent 8 years in Melbourne and ran a relocation agency which helped people find a suburb they were happy with. I have been out of it for a while now as I moved up to FNQ to warmer climates.

From my time down there and as you aren't bothered about a commute I would look at Berwick, Mornington, Mouth Martha, Mount Eliza. We lived in Lyndhurst and loved it as it was close to the beach, 10 minutes to a major shopping complex at Fountain Gate and they put a train line in at Lynbrook.

Then you have the other side around Point Cook etc.

I suppose you really need to ask yourself what kind of house you are looking for, ie a new build on an estate or an older property.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi the Pom Queen

Thank you for the info. We have looked at Berwick and briefly at Mornington but not the others yet. I have had very poor feedback on the western suburbs as we were looking at Brookfield and Bacchus Marsh.

thanks again

Dan

You will find there as always been a East/West divide. Some favour the West because it is more affordable. Remember as well everyone as their own ideas. I once showed a family around and they chose a suburb I personally didn't like, they are still there 9 years later and love the place. They said compared to where they lived in the UK it was heaven.

You will find there as always been a East/West divide. Some favour the West because it is more affordable. Remember as well everyone as their own ideas. I once showed a family around and they chose a suburb I personally didn't like, they are still there 9 years later and love the place. They said compared to where they lived in the UK it was heaven.

We are keeping an open mind. We are planning to travel to all the areas we are considering at different times and test the commute too.

as you say..... What doesn't work for one may be perfect for the other.

Whilst all the posts on forums are useful they make some places out like they are extremely dangerous. In my experience in the UK every town has its good and bad areas.

the main thing is that we feel safe with our children.

im sure we will find somewhere nice and get a great house within budget. Fingers crossed

thanks

We are keeping an open mind. We are planning to travel to all the areas we are considering at different times and test the commute too.

Whilst all the posts on forums are useful they make some places out like they are extremely dangerous. In my experience in the UK every town has its good and bad areas.

im sure we will find somewhere nice and get a great house within budget. Fingers crossed

thanks

It's the same here. I live in a fairly medium sized town (population 25,000) and there are definitely very nice areas and areas I wouldn't live in if you paid me.

Hi Everyone

We are not city dwellers so will be looking anywhere from 20-60k outside CBD. Although I will work in CBD I am used to traveling 5-6 hours a day to work so anything less than that is a bonus.

We live in Langwarrin which we love - and is still not as over developed as some areas. You'll find most of your housing requirements within your budget, just! - Its a 10minute drive to the beach which is great.

I work in the CBD - i drive to Seaford station 15 minutes (as the parking is slightly better) and then its an hour into the city. (although the express trains have just started running again 45-50 minutes to Flinders street). Trains run every 5-10 minutes at rush hour.

Anywhere around there, as ThePomQueen mentioned although Mornington onwards starts to get to be a bit of a drive to get to the station. Metro starts at Frankston, although parking there is a nightmare.

You can go East to Cranbourne for the more new builds, but i found the rail journey to be a nightmare, for parking and overcrowding. I dont think the trains run as often as its a single track for part of the way

Guest The Pom Queen

thanks

When we first made the move we came with an open mind, rented in Beaumaris for a couple of months but couldn't afford to live there. We travelled East and West and kept coming back East. I can't tell you why, it just felt right. We then took a 12 month rental in Lynbrook, loved it and bought across the rail track in Lydhurst. That was when Lyndhurst was small and all fields, it's now multiple housing estates.

I wouldn't say anywhere is "extremely dangerous' personally I wouldn't live in Doveton or Dandenong but saying that I have walked around Dandenong at night and felt safe.

I think you will be pushing it to find something that ticks all your boxes within your budget. This was the best I could find.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-narre+warren+south-123482542

This is one we have looked at thanks. It's the pool that really limits options. We would sacrifice a pool for the right property though. We can but dream!

We live in Langwarrin which we love - and is still not as over developed as some areas. You'll find most of your housing requirements within your budget, just! - Its a 10minute drive to the beach which is great.

I work in the CBD - i drive to Seaford station 15 minutes (as the parking is slightly better) and then its an hour into the city. (although the express trains have just started running again 45-50 minutes to Flinders street). Trains run every 5-10 minutes at rush hour.

Anywhere around there, as ThePomQueen mentioned although Mornington onwards starts to get to be a bit of a drive to get to the station. Metro starts at Frankston, although parking there is a nightmare.

You can go East to Cranbourne for the more new builds, but i found the rail journey to be a nightmare, for parking and overcrowding. I dont think the trains run as often as its a single track for part of the way

This is really useful thanks. Langwarrin and Cranbourne are both on our radar. Are the trains suitable for getting a laptop out at all or will I be stood up. Likely I would set off around 7am

When we first made the move we came with an open mind, rented in Beaumaris for a couple of months but couldn't afford to live there. We travelled East and West and kept coming back East. I can't tell you why, it just felt right. We then took a 12 month rental in Lynbrook, loved it and bought across the rail track in Lydhurst. That was when Lyndhurst was small and all fields, it's now multiple housing estates.

I wouldn't say anywhere is "extremely dangerous' personally I wouldn't live in Doveton or Dandenong but saying that I have walked around Dandenong at night and felt safe.

As ever, thank you. We have a plan! Let's see where we end up. No amount of Internet browsing will help until we see the places. Kids will love it as we will be trying out the parks in all areas?

Thanks. We have looked at Geelong. We will visit but I'd prefer closed to Melbourne. Commute is doable at the moment but I think development will take its toll over time.

Many people commute from Geelong to the CBD.

It is about an hour by train. Similar to coming in from Frankston.

Housing should be more affordable which is why I suggested it.

Guest The Pom Queen
This is one we have looked at thanks. It's the pool that really limits options. We would sacrifice a pool for the right property though. We can but dream!

To be honest you don't really need a pool in Melbourne.

This is really useful thanks. Langwarrin and Cranbourne are both on our radar. Are the trains suitable for getting a laptop out at all or will I be stood up. Likely I would set off around 7am

Yep - on the frankston line anywhere south of mentone at 7am you'll get a seat - not the best seats in the world and the older trains are a bit more cramped but good enough to work from.

Cranbourne can be more crowded, but the further away you are from the city the more seats avaliable.

Yep - on the frankston line anywhere south of mentone at 7am you'll get a seat - not the best seats in the world and the older trains are a bit more cramped but good enough to work from.

Cranbourne can be more crowded, but the further away you are from the city the more seats avaliable.

Excellent, thanks. Will be paying a visit on arrival.

Coming home depending on what station you get on in the CBD will determine how easy it is to get a seat. Melbourne has this interesting concept called the city loop. It still confuses me to this day, depending on the time of day or the weekend. Your train will start at Flinders Street and go round the loop or go direct to Richmond. At rush hour coming home, I believe it starts at Flinders street and works it's way round all the stops before hitting Richmond, by the time it gets to Parliament the train can/will be pretty full.

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/

Will give you a good idea of travel times and the city loop.

Another thing to note is Early Bird train travel, is you will not be charged for your travel at 7am, as it is before 7:15am(weekdays only):

https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/myki-money/

Since you are coming in November, this year I assume, be aware of the rail works on the Cranbourne and Pakenham line:

http://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/crossings/caulfield-to-dandenong

This will add to your journey until the works are completed which is a few years away, but such a welcomed change.

Don't even bother catching trains to work. It's much better driving in. Several years ago I had to attend a course in Collins Street which is the centre of the city for a week, my wife said I was mad to drive in but it was so easy. I really enjoyed the daily drive in from Frankston which only took less than an hour. At least I wasn't standing, stuffed in a carriage with a couple of hundred strangers pushing against me. I could listen to 3AW talkback radio, have a coffee and a snack, a smoke and just relax. If you go by train you have to first drive to the nearest station and then try and find a car park. If you drive you just get in your car and go. There are regular breakdowns and accidents at railway crossing that means you will be unloaded off the train and then wait forever for a bus which will make you many hours late. I know there are occasional accidents on the road that can hold you up but I would put up with that any day rather than take a train.

Don't even bother catching trains to work. It's much better driving in. Several years ago I had to attend a course in Collins Street which is the centre of the city for a week, my wife said I was mad to drive in but it was so easy. I really enjoyed the daily drive in from Frankston which only took less than an hour. At least I wasn't standing, stuffed in a carriage with a couple of hundred strangers pushing against me. I could listen to 3AW talkback radio, have a coffee and a snack, a smoke and just relax. If you go by train you have to first drive to the nearest station and then try and find a car park. If you drive you just get in your car and go. There are regular breakdowns and accidents at railway crossing that means you will be unloaded off the train and then wait forever for a bus which will make you many hours late. I know there are occasional accidents on the road that can hold you up but I would put up with that any day rather than take a train.

The problem with driving in though is not the traffic. It is the cost of parking in Melbourne CBD. If you don't have parking provided (which is rare for office jobs), it costs anything from around $14-$30 (or more) for a days parking. This is more than the daily cost of a train ticket, and then you have to add the cost of petrol and other car-related costs on to that.

To the OP - we live in Frankston which is a suburb I would recommend. The transport links are good and, as others have said, the train is fine. I drive to Carrum station each day (as I can get parking there), and if I catch an express train it takes about 45 minutes to Richmond Station (about 50 mins to Flinders Street). Otherwise I can catch a loop train straight to Parliament station which takes around 50-55 minutes. I catch a train between 7.30-8 in the morning, to get to work easily by 9, and can always get a seat. I can usually get a seat coming home too, but I do usually leave the city after the main rush hour (about 6-6.30pm most days - if I leave at around 5 it is busier).

The Cranbourne/Packenham lines also come down this way but tend to be MUCH more crowded IME. I have in the past changed at Caulfield so I can get an express straight to the loop, but have had on occasion had to let 1 or 2 trains go first as you simply couldn't get on the train, much less get a seat.

If you wanted to look at Frankston you would be able to get a reasonable house for you budget down here - look particularly at Frankston South, and many of the houses have pools. We don't but it wasn't a priority for us. My daughter has started at Frankston High this year and so far we are very impressed. Most of the primary schools are also good. Beware though that to get into the high school you will need to rent/buy in the zone.

Agreed. Parking is ridiculous, even worse if you miss the early bird specials and come in later.

Plus as well as parking there are the eastlink and citylink tolls which all add up (more than the trainfare alone) and the monash freeway is always choked.

in the last year i've had to get off the train once at bonbeach due to a train fault but thats itm, and after 15 minutes it was fixed and we were on our way. delays can and do happen, but for me its a no brainer compared to driving. Oh - and the coffee & compliements kiosk at Seaford Station serves awesome coffee!

Edited by kevsan

Following this thread, as hubby has just moved from Perth to Melbourne (me & 4 kids - 7, 9, 12 & 13 - to follow, once we've broken lease on our rental) and we have a similar wish list.

Hubby's working in Collingwood & has a motorbike to commute (has excellent deal for parking).

Can anyone give any advice on Pascoe Vale and surrounds please?

Great info thank you. Train is preferred if possible. I can work on the train instead of spending another 2 hours in the office. Frankston south is already on the list to visit

The problem with driving in though is not the traffic. It is the cost of parking in Melbourne CBD. If you don't have parking provided (which is rare for office jobs), it costs anything from around $14-$30 (or more) for a days parking. This is more than the daily cost of a train ticket, and then you have to add the cost of petrol and other car-related costs on to that.

To the OP - we live in Frankston which is a suburb I would recommend. The transport links are good and, as others have said, the train is fine. I drive to Carrum station each day (as I can get parking there), and if I catch an express train it takes about 45 minutes to Richmond Station (about 50 mins to Flinders Street). Otherwise I can catch a loop train straight to Parliament station which takes around 50-55 minutes. I catch a train between 7.30-8 in the morning, to get to work easily by 9, and can always get a seat. I can usually get a seat coming home too, but I do usually leave the city after the main rush hour (about 6-6.30pm most days - if I leave at around 5 it is busier).

The Cranbourne/Packenham lines also come down this way but tend to be MUCH more crowded IME. I have in the past changed at Caulfield so I can get an express straight to the loop, but have had on occasion had to let 1 or 2 trains go first as you simply couldn't get on the train, much less get a seat.

If you wanted to look at Frankston you would be able to get a reasonable house for you budget down here - look particularly at Frankston South, and many of the houses have pools. We don't but it wasn't a priority for us. My daughter has started at Frankston High this year and so far we are very impressed. Most of the primary schools are also good. Beware though that to get into the high school you will need to rent/buy in the zone.