Is there lots of work in Perth?

Perthbum

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno but why doesn't wanted down Under ever seem to do Sydney or Melbourne? Always seems to be in Perth or Adelaide round a soulless New build estate.

Yes I agree, it always seems like perth and they make out there is so much work about...is it done just for the show or is there a lot of work to be had.

Guest Michaela60
Dunno but why doesn't wanted down Under ever seem to do Sydney or Melbourne? Always seems to be in Perth or Adelaide round a soulless New build estate.

Because poms move to Perth and Adelaide

Most people we have met and talk to say its grim here, but they have been here through the boom so I imagine it would seem grim now. It seems pretty normal to me, similar amount of jobs advertised, similar level of competition to what I am used to and I found work quickly. Hubby, who is still out of work 3 months on would disagree. There are not many jobs at the moment in his line of work/position.

Edited by M1cha3la

Perhaps do some reading on stats and news reports and see what you draw from that? I don't know a snapshot on an off topic chat section of a forum is going to give you a great picture.

Think "wanted down under " is misleading artisans that there is still plenty of work in perth.....heard it is grim....is it?
Its definately not grim! There seems to be a slow down on jobs just now but there are still plenty about. A lot of it is because the people who have worked on the mining projects are coming back to Perth to work as their contracts finish so there are more people looking. It was always going to happen and you know when you take a contract on in the mining industry it is only for a short time and move on, they dont need 5000 tradies working on a job when construction is finished and the place is up and running, same with every construction site, do the job and move on. Its because people have had it so good for so long it seems worse, I dont think its any worse than other states, there are so many people from the Eastern states over here doing FIFO so will be the same other places when they go back. There is more to Perth than FIFO of course but people always seem to focus on that.

Its definately not grim! There seems to be a slow down on jobs just now but there are still plenty about. A lot of it is because the people who have worked on the mining projects are coming back to Perth to work as their contracts finish so there are more people looking. It was always going to happen and you know when you take a contract on in the mining industry it is only for a short time and move on, they dont need 5000 tradies working on a job when construction is finished and the place is up and running, same with every construction site, do the job and move on. Its because people have had it so good for so long it seems worse, I dont think its any worse than other states, there are so many people from the Eastern states over here doing FIFO so will be the same other places when they go back. There is more to Perth than FIFO of course but people always seem to focus on that.

I have heard that the construction industry has collapsed and there is negative migration to the Eastern states, and that overseas migration has dropped significantly. Has this not had much of an effect? It's usually the young and the migrant that recessions affect. For most people everything gets a little cheaper, and the living may actually get easier.

No chance! he hates the place. Dont know why he is still obsessed with it after all this time!

Some traumas are never healed. Doesn't hurt for people to get a handle on the fact though that the ' boom' is well passé, or that Perth has rather severe issues, in answer to those dumb shows on UK TV, like ' Wanted Down Under'.

It depends on your definition of grim. 51,000 full time jobs lost in fairly recent times. More part time and casual positions than ever. Greater delinquency in mortgage rate failure in WA. I personally know a number of agencies that have shed staff across the board. A lot of anger resulting. A lunch meeting yesterday, yielded another three families about to leave/or soon to leave WA. All for overseas, though none to UK.

The state finances are a mess. We have huge debt. That all under a Conservative government. Those in stable employment, in areas not yet impacted, as usual may remain totally in the dark about what is happening and care less.

Like dogs returning to their own vomit, everyone will come back when the next boom starts.

Obviously certain people will follow the money. Always has been. This downturn though is suggesting something more hard hitting in the air. It will be a long time, most likely before a change of fortune in WA's present climate. We could I suppose reinvent ourselves (Artist and Cultural centre per excellence, for example)as something more worthy than a quarry, but the money is on we keep to the same old tired practices.

Some traumas are never healed. Doesn't hurt for people to get a handle on the fact though that the ' boom' is well passé, or that Perth has rather severe issues, in answer to those dumb shows on UK TV, like ' Wanted Down Under'.
No it doesnt but what makes people who dont live here and who havent for years an expert on the employment situation? I am no expert either but at least I can comment on what I see, maybe there is more unemployment in different areas of Perth but the area I live in is definately not an unemployment hot spot.

From what I understand would not say grim, well yet, but would not say entirely great, believe the same also would apply to Brisbane and Adelaide. I think it all really depends on what you do or would be prepared to do. Sydney or Melbourne which appear to be the most buoyant markets, but people still struggling to find work, and I see lots of people from Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide considering moving due to them finding it difficult finding work in there field. The SOL is also a little misleading with roles listed which are already have far too many applicants and should be removed.

If you have your citizenship and get security clearance, then there is always Canberra which oddly has the highest paying jobs.

No it doesnt but what makes people who dont live here and who havent for years an expert on the employment situation? I am no expert either but at least I can comment on what I see, maybe there is more unemployment in different areas of Perth but the area I live in is definately not an unemployment hot spot.

I have ben around or somehow involved with a bit of restructuring over the recent downturn. I have witnessed a lot of angst and anger to put it mildly. While the fact remains that 51,000 full time jobs have been lost, replaced at best by part time work, with less benefits and of course lower take home pay, one can barely expect through observation of a neighbourhood to gauge a ' hot spot'. People here being so private and detached from realities.

From what I understand would not say grim, well yet, but would not say entirely great, believe the same also would apply to Brisbane and Adelaide. I think it all really depends on what you do or would be prepared to do. Sydney or Melbourne which appear to be the most buoyant markets, but people still struggling to find work, and I see lots of people from Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide considering moving due to them finding it difficult finding work in there field. The SOL is also a little misleading with roles listed which are already have far too many applicants and should be removed.

If you have your citizenship and get security clearance, then there is always Canberra which oddly has the highest paying jobs.

It is only 'grim' in the real sense when mortgage commitments can not be met (a growing problem in WA) or other financial debts mount up due to unemployment or more likely the growing curse of under employment bites.

We are still in downturn mode in WA and a lot has yet to be played out. The ' grimness' will be hidden from the public has far as possible with the compliance of most media, for self serving reasons.

It is good people at least have an idea of what is essentially still being played out, with little idea just to how severe the end result may be. Aussies are gamblers of renown. Youse pay your money and take a chance. What could possibly go wrong? mmm..

It is only 'grim' in the real sense when mortgage commitments can not be met (a growing problem in WA) or other financial debts mount up due to unemployment or more likely the growing curse of under employment bites.

We are still in downturn mode in WA and a lot has yet to be played out. The ' grimness' will be hidden from the public has far as possible with the compliance of most media, for self serving reasons.

It is good people at least have an idea of what is essentially still being played out, with little idea just to how severe the end result may be. Aussies are gamblers of renown. Youse pay your money and take a chance. What could possibly go wrong? mmm..

I agree but was trying to be somewhat optimistic. My company laid off a large number of staff all across Australia earlier this year, with the focus on cheaper cost centres to cover these roles. Based on some other forums I use, the job market is pretty saturated especially in the world of IT, accountancy and grad jobs to name a few. People in the UK are sold this dream of Australia, mcmansion on your own 1/4 acre of land, swimming pool, sunshine. The reality is really far from that especially in Sydney or Melbourne, unless you have a ton of equity already.

Australia seems to be a ticking time bomb at the moment. High cost centre for many international companies due to the high wages here compared to other countries.

For us at the minute things are pretty grim. Warren is a diesel mechanic with his own business. Lately (past 6 months or so) there has been a noticable drop in the amount of trucks coming in to be worked at. Also, in the in the industrial area the workshop is located at we have noticed quite a lot of other businesses, approx 30% have closed due to lack of business. I work in the office and this past 2 weeks I have only went in for 5 working days out of 10 due to nothing happening. I used to be run off my feet. I think I am going to have to look for work elsewhere, but jobs are quite scarce.

I have heard that the construction industry has collapsed and there is negative migration to the Eastern states, and that overseas migration has dropped significantly. Has this not had much of an effect? It's usually the young and the migrant that recessions affect. For most people everything gets a little cheaper, and the living may actually get easier.

The construction industry has definitely not crashed. Still building going on in Perth and a few big projects about to start. What has happened is that the construction infrastructure boom on mine and LNG sites up north has ended which of course will have a knock on effect on employment but I like to think of things levelling out to normality rather than the crazy few years of the past. Might stop cashed up bogans from buying high powered cars and driving through people's houses every week! But if your coming to Perth nowadays looking to walk into a job and earn big dollars then you may be disappointed.