Importing car - Australian Plated Vehicle Option

mrmash

Hi,

Probably clutching at straws but wondering if anyone else has gone through the Australian Plated option for importing a car?

We originally went to Australia in April 2012 on a 457 visa and due to various reasons returned in Dec 2015, bringing our VW T5 Multivan back with us.

Realising it wasn't the right move I've just been offered a job in Melbourne and will be returning in November 2016 on another 457.

As I'm still within the 12 month import window in the UK, I'll be liable for import duty and VAT if I sell in the UK so it's cheaper to take it back.

Also for registration the car only arrived in the UK in February 16 and rego ran out in March, so for registration I'm not sure if it will be treated as a imported vehicle or interstate when it arrives in Melbourne (still have the QLD plates).

Luckily my work are paying for a 20' so we'll just pay the difference to 40' (was only $2200 when we came back).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt, as your car will be on the NEVDIS data base as an already complied vehicle, you will only need a victorian Road Worthy Certificate and as the car is already in your name, from interstate, you may also not have to pay the 4.2% stamp duty that Vicroads charges for when you purchase someone elses car or register your import for the first time. Either way you should apply for it being an Australian compliance vehicle as it should still have the original yellow import plate (if you took it originally from UK to Australia the first time) or it will have the original Australian compliance plate if you bought it here. Either way its the cheapest of all import options.

Regards, Blake A. (Victorian VASS engineer).

Hi,

Probably clutching at straws but wondering if anyone else has gone through the Australian Plated option for importing a car?

We originally went to Australia in April 2012 on a 457 visa and due to various reasons returned in Dec 2015, bringing our VW T5 Multivan back with us.

Realising it wasn't the right move I've just been offered a job in Melbourne and will be returning in November 2016 on another 457.

As I'm still within the 12 month import window in the UK, I'll be liable for import duty and VAT if I sell in the UK so it's cheaper to take it back.

Also for registration the car only arrived in the UK in February 16 and rego ran out in March, so for registration I'm not sure if it will be treated as a imported vehicle or interstate when it arrives in Melbourne (still have the QLD plates).

Luckily my work are paying for a 20' so we'll just pay the difference to 40' (was only $2200 when we came back).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

We have just brought our Holden Captiva back to SA and all we had to do was have an ID Check as it had been previously registered here and was Australian plated

we had deregistered it prior to leaving SA but it was quite easy to have it checked and back on the road

If you did not deregistered it you might get away with just a change over for States

Forgot to say talk to your shipper and maybe have the car cleaned prior it going to AQUIS

Our shipper took it to AQUIS and didn't clean it so it was knocked back ,we paid $870 to have it cleaned and it was knocked back !! Third time lucky after a second clean it got through but the delays meant it took a month to get the car on the road

2006 we brought our ford back and had it valeted in the uk prior to shipping waste of time as AQUIS still insisted it was steam cleaned twice

you will also need an import permit I think it was around $50 and we had to upload a photo of the compliance plate with the application

Make sure too you have the original purchase papers etc so there will be no customs payable as you have owned it for over 12 months