Arriving Brisbane - what essential documents will we need?

SerenaJ

Hi there, We'll be arriving in Brisbane on December 10th, following a 3-week trip to Malaysia en route. Since we're travelling beforehand, we won't be taking much luggage, so as well as sending over a container, which will arrive in January, we're also planning on sending a box via air freight to arrive just after we arrive. We're now trying to work out what documents will need to be in that box.. and which will need to be with us. Obviously passports will be on us, plus we'll carry our driving licenses so we can sort out a rental car when we arrive. But will we need our Visa Grant letters (given that we activated our visas in 2014)? We've made a list of things that we intend to put in the box, such as: copies of bank statements, copies of mortgage statements and paid up mortgage confirmation, copies of recent utility bills showing payments made, birth certificates, marriage certificates, employment references (we won't yet have work), copies of medical and dental records, school file for our son. Are there any other documents that we will need in order to get a rental (we'll be in holiday let to start off), buy a car, apply for work, and get our son registered in school...? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

We brought all our legal documents with us in our hand luggage , plus all those mentioned and also precious photos , we wasn't taking any chances of them going missing , our container came with no problem following on after 3 weeks but I needed the assurance of all the paperwork with me . It provided a sense of security knowing that if there was any problems with my shipment I had all I needed with me to get started in my new life in Oz

We brought all our legal documents with us in our hand luggage , plus all those mentioned and also precious photos , we wasn't taking any chances of them going missing , our container came with no problem following on after 3 weeks but I needed the assurance of all the paperwork with me . It provided a sense of security knowing that if there was any problems with my shipment I had all I needed with me to get started in my new life in Oz

Thanks for this - that sounds like a really good idea. I'm just not sure, with us travelling across Malaysia, whether there is a higher risk having them in our backpacks (and stuff getting stolen) rather than having them in the shipped items. Will have to give it some serious thought! Do you know if copies are OK, or does everything have to be originals? Also, you mention legal documents, as well as the things I mentioned. What did you mean by this? Thanks.

Hi there, We'll be arriving in Brisbane on December 10th, following a 3-week trip to Malaysia en route. Since we're travelling beforehand, we won't be taking much luggage, so as well as sending over a container, which will arrive in January, we're also planning on sending a box via air freight to arrive just after we arrive. We're now trying to work out what documents will need to be in that box.. and which will need to be with us. Obviously passports will be on us, plus we'll carry our driving licenses so we can sort out a rental car when we arrive. But will we need our Visa Grant letters (given that we activated our visas in 2014)? We've made a list of things that we intend to put in the box, such as: copies of bank statements, copies of mortgage statements and paid up mortgage confirmation, copies of recent utility bills showing payments made, birth certificates, marriage certificates, employment references (we won't yet have work), copies of medical and dental records, school file for our son. Are there any other documents that we will need in order to get a rental (we'll be in holiday let to start off), buy a car, apply for work, and get our son registered in school...? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

When it comes to things like copies of bank statements, why don't you just scan them and put the whole lot n a usb - or two usbs, one with you, and one in the shipping. You can then print out what you need or just email it. Obviously with certificates you also need toring the originals, but scan them as well, always good to have as a back up.

When it comes to things like copies of bank statements, why don't you just scan them and put the whole lot n a usb - or two usbs, one with you, and one in the shipping. You can then print out what you need or just email it. Obviously with certificates you also need toring the originals, but scan them as well, always good to have as a back up.

Thanks - yes this is a good idea. We'll do this.

I assume you don't internet bank. I haven't seen a printed bank statement in years.

Yes we do internet bank, but might not have a printer for a while when we get to Oz, so will need to bring them printed out in advance, hence the discussion about whether to bring in backpack when we go traveling or send in air freight box. Also it's the other docs to consider as well: mortgage statements and paid up mortgage confirmation, copies of recent utility bills showing payments made, birth certificates, marriage certificates, employment references, copies of medical and dental records, school file for our son etc.

Also consider why you might need birth and marriage certificates on arrival. We just shipped these documents.

Agreed. At the moment we have no idea what we'll need what for... or when. Lol! We're just finding lists of advice on what to take, but wondering how many documents are actually essential, and what they'd need to be produced for. Any tips much appreciated :-)

Presume you have opened an Oz bank account. You need to hotfoot it to a branch to activate the account (and hopefully arrange to pick up your cards - though NAB stuffed this up with us, long story!). You only need your passport and probably UK drivers licence from memory.

Organise trip to Centrelink to register for Medicare. They will post your card but give you a temporary number. Only ID I used was my passport but I also needed my visa confirmation letter. Check out their website as my memory might be scratchy.

Drivers licence. Really useful as once you have an Oz licence it is a virtual ID card for everything. Needed UK driving licence, passport, Visa letter, bank debit card or Medicare card.

Sorry I never really considered the risk of your 3 week journey to Malaysia as we came straight to Australia so not sure which would be the safer option to be honest . For rental purposes copies will do but you do need to ensure all your originals I.e birth certificates , marriage certificates , copy of your visa entitlements, or any other legal documents such as ( divorce papers, any avadavits or sworn declarations regarding jurisdiction for removing children ) are secure either in shipment of with you ( we wanted to ensure these wasn't going missing that's why we had them with us in our hand luggage )

Oh, and for the drivers licence you need some evidence of a Queensland residential address. A bank statement from your Australian bank will suffice. This can be your temporary address (we used ours) and then later advise them of your new, more permanent address.

Thanks for all the info... v useful. :-)

Sorry I never really considered the risk of your 3 week journey to Malaysia as we came straight to Australia so not sure which would be the safer option to be honest . For rental purposes copies will do but you do need to ensure all your originals I.e birth certificates , marriage certificates , copy of your visa entitlements, or any other legal documents such as ( divorce papers, any avadavits or sworn declarations regarding jurisdiction for removing children ) are secure either in shipment of with you ( we wanted to ensure these wasn't going missing that's why we had them with us in our hand luggage )

No worries... I know we need to take our own view on things / the risk etc. Thanks for all the advice though - much appreciated. :-)