Foxtel, Telstra or other tv, internet phone providers....

lynste

So I thought i would do a bit of research into the sort of TV, Internet and phone packages we could get when we move over next month. I have heard so many stories about poor internet speeds in comparison to the UK. I would be grateful for any feedback both the good and the bad on what we can expect or any recommendations that people have. Below is what we have in the UK and we would like something similar.

TV - We have Sky package (no sports or movies and don't want any in Oz either) we do hugely use the Sky+ functions so that is a must.

Internet - we done have super fast fibre just the good old copper type not particularly fast but does the job, it is unlimited and we like not having to worry about exceeding limits

Phone - we don't have a landline phone only mobiles

Mobile Phones - Hubby and I pay £20 a month each and have unlimited calls/text/data, my 2 daughters pay £10 a month each and are limited. This is with giffgaff and none of the iphones are locked so we will be bringing these.

If anyone can recommend similar services or providers they use that would be great. I appreciate it will vary depending on the areas but we will be looking to move to Goldcoast

TIA

The FoxTel boxes are nearly identical to Sky+ / SkyHD boxes. So if you're happy with Sky+ Foxel will be good also.

For broadband if you are in an NBN area you can get that without a landline. iiNET are a good provider that provide that.

For mobile reception Telstra have the best. You might be best of getting a bundle with the broadband.

You will find all these services are more expensive than the UK. Also many of the internet connections have download limits, something that isn't common in the UK.

For Mobile phones I use Aldi mobile, which use the Telstra network.

Unlimited Calls/Texts and 2GB of data for $25, they also have cheaper offers

Internet I have ADSL2+ with TPG which is unlimited for $59.99 (including phone line)

Foxtel I pay $50 for everything except the movie channels (this is negotiated down). Always worth calling and negotiating.

If you are claiming you get every channel, including sport,bbc, documentaries, comedy etc then I say you are telling us lies.

They would never give you everything for that price.

Why would I lie about that? The original Price was $74 for Sport and basic. Then about 18 months ago they gave us drama and entertainment as "bonus content". Then got $25 discount while calling to quit for next 12 months.

Oh and for some reason I don't get box sets despite getting all the other "drama" channels. Forgot to add I got docos as bonus content too.

Glad you think my deal is so good I must be lying :biglaugh:

Rather than setting false expectations to the OP.

This is basically what you will pay for Foxtel.

https://www.foxtel.com.au/get/select-customise.html

They do often have signup deals but there is no way they will give you everything for $50.

Plan on around $85 per month for everything except Movies and Sport and then you will likely have to add another $10 for HD

As a new customer you are right.

I was just saying what is possible down the line. Same with Sky in UK very easy to get a big discount.

Parley, if you are paying full price, use the magic word of "Netflix" while calling to cancel.

I have just had 2 months free of Platinum after signing up on a deal.

I am well aware that they do do deals but I don't believe they will drop things to $50 for nearly everything.

But if you want to put up an image of your itemised bill then you might convince me.

My itemised bill only show the Sports and Essentials, not the bonus content. Unless you want a pic of me watching corrie on UKTV right now? Which I can't be bothered to supply.

Check out the foxtel bargaining threads on whirlpool, will find people on similar deals with the bonus content.

Those bonus contents deals are totally irrelevant to the OP who will never get them.

They were a one time only thing for existing customers when netflix came in.

I don't think you will get them forever either. 12 months maybe.

Who knows what the future brings, with Optus stealing EPL off them and netflix taking customers prices could easily drop in the future.

I never said they could get the same deal just that you can negotiate a better price, I was just responding to you calling me a liar.

Looks like you can easily get Platinum HD for $89 if you call them rather than the $130 or whatever it costs.

Thanks for all the input on the above.

Yes I am well aware they will do discounted rates for customers who threaten to leave, having worked for Sky in the UK for many years I understand the way it works and its probably no different in Oz. What I am interested to know is if there is any alternatives to Foxtel? maybe an Oz version of Freest perhaps? We are not big TV watchers.

Does Oz have any cash back websites offering incentives to take out products through them? I have always used these here in the UK and made a fair bit by taking out new phone/insurance/utilities every 12 months

There is a new system coming out now called Freeview Plus.

If you are going to be a buying a new TV in Australia it would be worth looking at one.

Basically it has all the Free 2 Air catchup services like ABC iView and the equivalents for 9, 7 and 10 as apps built into the software so you can access those easily.

Netflix is available as well and Stan and Presto which are the streaming services each for about $10 per month.

We have Optus with unlimited broadband and landline plus fetch TV, crap speed now but will be on NBN when we move for same price. Happy with that.

they bundle landline with cheap calls to UK ( and other countries)' you might want to think about that. I know Skype/ face time etc. but some people inUK just do not do it and ringing banks or others it can be useful for little extra cost.

Hubby calls his dad at least once a week and chats for at least half an hour, and I call sister for longer! Rarely does it cost more than $5 extra.

Package is $115 per month could be less for basic tv package.

Son pays for Netflix :wink:

Foxtel are a rip off. We got rid of them and use netflix though they are limited in what they have ,too. Maybe get a VPN and watch some of the British tv?

We have VPN and tend to watch more through that. But you need decent broadband for it to work and unlimited data so you end up finding a bundled deal is the most economic option anyway!

• 4 months later...

Got rid of Foxtel >2 years ago and haven't looked back. Absolute rip-off, losing subscribers in droves.

Have Netflix at $12 pm and free footie (Premier league) through Optus (have my mobile with them), well pay an extra $5 pm for a fetch tv mini-box for ease of use. The footie will go to $15 pm from next season which is a reasonable price point, must be an optus customer though (mobile or broadband).

Just got a new box that I'm trying out ($50 one off on ebay) and use Exodus. So far so good. I don't bother with recording, just stream

Internet is TPG, ADSL 2+ for $60pm and hasn't changed in 6 years. Used to get about 15mbps in Sydney. Have just moved so can't comment on the new service yet. Had no issues with Netflix or anything else.

Mobile is with Optus. I'm 18 months into a 24 month plan. $90pm on a Samsung S6 and fetch tv mini. Mini is $5, Phone I think is $20 and $65 for the service. Unlimited calls, texts, 8GB of downloads pm, 300min of intl calls pm. Cheaper available but I like to download without having to worry about it and call Ireland as easy as I call friends locally. Having said that, I probably only need 1/2 the download limit and intl calls through whatsapp have really improved in quality. Next plan will be cheaper.

For Mobile phones I use Aldi mobile, which use the Telstra network.

Unlimited Calls/Texts and 2GB of data for $25, they also have cheaper offers

Internet I have ADSL2+ with TPG which is unlimited for $59.99 (including phone line)

Foxtel I pay $50 for everything except the movie channels (this is negotiated down). Always worth calling and negotiating.

Don't bite mate, parley cross is a grumpy old troll. I believe you, the Foxtel business model has been dying for years and losing the footie last year is another nail in their coffin. They always do deals when you call up and threaten to cancel. I used to get Sport and basic (which I never watched and don't know anybody who did) for $50pm and it wasn't worth it at that price so I got rid of it.