Visa Activation Visit & Reccie to Brisbane Our Findings

adele244

At the beginning of August we flew off to Brisbane from Manchester for a 3 week reccie. We flew with Etihad stopping in Abu Dhabi, with a 6 year old boy and a 11 year old girl.

Think we had hyped up the flight to being quite awful, but in actual fact it was fine. Our boy who we thought would be a nightmare loved it, as he watched movies and played games on the screen far more than we would ever allow him at home!

On the first day in Brisbane I ended up in Brisbane Emergency Dept (I had my eyelashes and eyebrows tinted the day before we flew pampering myself) Had a huge reaction and my eyes glued shut and looked like I had a few rounds with Tyson - vanity gets you no where!!!! (but that's another story) Comparison to A&E over here - I was dealt with much, much quicker and the experience was a nice one (so 1-0 to Oz so far) Ha ha!

I spent 2 weeks in huge sunglasses which actually stuck to my weeping eyebrows, but I tried not to let it spoil my trip!

Flew up to Cairns for a 10 day beach holiday for the kids, was really disappointed with the weather (thought it would be like our holiday to Majorca) but it was very cloudy and rained a lot (even thought this was the "dry" season) probably just caught unlucky. However, this place is beautiful, beaches and rain forests and so much greenery just jaw dropping. Quickly realised we could never live there though.

Back down to Brisbane for the rest of the stay. I had on my list of places to visit Towoomba, Karana Downs, Springfield Lakes, Camira, Gatton and Kensington Grove and Bracken Ridge. Really tried not to look at things through holiday eyes.

Was really looking forward to Karana Down as most of the properties have very large plots and very reasonably priced. Was quite dissapointed, seemed a fair distance from Brisbane so I think the commute would be bad and the houses seemed very isolated with no real community feel at all. Husband loved Towoomba, I didnt. We all loved Springfield Lakes, but realistically above budget, topped off with tiny gardens. Looked at the brand new houses in Gatton and Kensington Grove all with acre plots. I liked these although you could tell the estate would eventually be the size of a small country. Not sure if I would like that.

Anyhoo - I was very pleasantly surprised with the price of things. (was expecting real bad!) Went to Aldi, Coles and Woolworths for all our groceries. I could tell the fruit was dearer than here, but to be fair, milk, bread, cereal were pretty close (especially in Aldi) I even brought home my till receipts to compare (Saddo!!) I also looked in Target for things like kettles, toasters, microwaves and there wasn't no difference to over here. (Was wondering if to buy in UK and take in container) - no way! will just buy them over there and I have got them immediately! Eating out was definitely the thing to massively eat away at our budget (get the pun!) that was noticeably more expensive than here.

Also went to Hervey Bay - Absolutely beautiful and weather was lovely but again couldn't live there too small and only no work for an electronics repairer.

One thing I did feel which I never get when I'm in Europe - I felt like I belonged! I didn't feel like an outsider or tourist (I'm sure this had a lot to do with the language) but yes I felt really, really comfortable there. (Damn! I knew I was born in the wrong country!)

Since getting back, unfortunately my head has stayed there. I am now just desperate to finalise things here and get living over there! Does anyone want to buy an electronics business?? Ha ha!

My favourite area was without a doubt Brisbane and its surrounding suburbs. We booked Airbnb's for all our accommodation and couldnt fault any of it. We stayed in a beautiful home in Bardon just outside Brisbane - Oh Wow! if we won the lottery we would live in Bardon. We also stayed in Kedron - again if money was no object that was a lovely area too.

We also visited the famous Hillsong Church whilst in Brisbane - loved it there and the kids were in their element, bouncy castle, loud music, bubbles, ice cream. It was definitely more like a concert than a church, but yes absolutely loved every minute.

To sum up our visit, if you haven't already guessed - ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!, Didn't want to come home!

People thinking of moving to Brisbane should read your post and take careful note, when you move, you will need to compromise on your property usually with the decision of size vs location, we elected central with a back yard only although have access to 2 X pools and tennis courts. This suits us as don't like gardening and frees up time and removes a physical job especially during the hot summer.

North Queensland is TROPICAL and therefore is extremely wet and gets very humid. Most people finally decide on where to live influenced by where they work, do yourself a favour and try and live close to work unless you are happy to commute. Traffic is not too bad in Brisbane just the road network in parts is still developing meaning there are some pinch points particularly the incoming or outgoing motorways ie Bruce, Pacific and Ipswich. New housing developments all push traffic onto these roads meaning you will suffer the long commute where North Lakes, Springfield Lakes etc.

We love Brisbane, it's facilities, climate and mostly its people. It is also a positive city looking forward and full of ambition, I guess having a competitive neighbour of Gold Coast helps keep Brisbane motivated.

adele244, I guess next time you won't need to return although a 1 way ticket feels strange.

S

Edited by srg73

@adele244 my brother in law live out at spring mountain. They live on acreage and commute into city, one works Milton other in fortitude valley (city centre) but sis in law has parking at work. They occasionally get the train. Yarrabilba is nice and robelle parklands but tbh your prob suits all ages but mostly younger kids. Their son at greenbank school. I always loved Redlands near Cleveland etc but wanted within half hour of beach so down the Gold Coast all good except for hubby work x

Kedron is a nice suburb but if you can't stretch the budget to move there have you looked at neighbouring suburb Stafford Heights? It is more affordable but could have a similar lifestyle

If working in the city then ensure you are either near public transport or parking us included within the employment package. Houses near stations are the most expensive and with houses near noisy main roads most expensive. Building a house should be great but areas like Gatton are miles out. Up and coming areas, quite a lot of the south side like Coorparoo although climbing very fast. Areas like Daisy Hill give good value with lovely surroundings. Northside, Kedron is fine but also consider Woolowin bit cheaper or Banyo which must be ready to boom soon, very industrial however very central.

Happy to to answer any questions as getting to know neighbourhoods quite well with work.

S

• 2 weeks later...
If working in the city then ensure you are either near public transport or parking us included within the employment package. Houses near stations are the most expensive and with houses near noisy main roads most expensive. Building a house should be great but areas like Gatton are miles out. Up and coming areas, quite a lot of the south side like Coorparoo although climbing very fast. Areas like Daisy Hill give good value with lovely surroundings. Northside, Kedron is fine but also consider Woolowin bit cheaper or Banyo which must be ready to boom soon, very industrial however very central.

Happy to to answer any questions as getting to know neighbourhoods quite well with work.

S

Bit confused, Wooloowin would be more expensive than Kedron. Banyo a fair bit cheaper than both and a bit of a rougher reputation historically although does have potential. But fair bit further out than Wooloowin and Kedron

West Chermside is also relatively affordable. Lots of fairly large brick houses. Wooden houses are expensive to maintain. Pools - lots of pros and cons. Very expensive to maintain these days, with power costs rising all the time. There is a large pool complex at Chermside. But agree that access to good public transport is very important. Wooloowin is closer to the city than Kedron, and quite a bit more expensive. You can see median suburb prices on realestate.com. The public schools within at least 15ks of the city will have management plans too - priority given to kids within the catchment.

If you liked Springfield lakes but want a bigger plot (and probably cheaper) look at New Beith, Flagstone, Jimboomba Woods and Yarrabilba. Sounds like you had a great time other than your unexpected visit to A and E,,lol, hope your eyes are all good now.

Cal x

Thanks for that information Cal. I just checked out those areas...definitely better value for money and lovely houses!! the only thing looking at the map it does look quite a treck / a bit far out from Brisbane - or is it not as bad as it looks (travel wise)