Organising farm work before you get to OZ

Jamiemadden7

Has anyone been able to gain farm work employment before they have even got to Oz?

I'm coming over on a years working holiday visa with the girlfriend and we are both interested in doing the 88 days rural work to gain the extra year on our visa, we are thinking of hiring a camper van for our travels and doing it all that way.

We have thought about coming over and getting straight into the 88 days as some offer the accommodation whilst gaining a decent wage which we could both save up over the time we are there and put it together to hopefully get a better camper or something...

Anyone have advice or connections?

TBH most jobs for the regional work you don't tend to secure before you arrive. There are many backpackers here already and available so I can't see why someone would hold out for you over in the UK still. Especially if its the seasonal work and there are hostels and groups organising people for farm work.

I'd suggest you work out where the regional work will be at the time of year you plan to arrive and then see if you can secure work once you are here.

Its generally not well paid work and can often be a long hard slog but if you don't mind hard work in perhaps a rural or remote location for a while, embrace it and clock up the time required. I'd not rely on it to really boost your income much, ensure you have savings to bring with you.

Oops, I missed that reference to a decent wage! I agree, don't expect farm work to pay well - it doesn't. It's unskilled and casual and they know backpackers need the work so they don't have to pay good wages. If you're getting food and accommodation you certainly won't get a good wage on top - in fact I've seen ads for farms expecting backpackers to work for food and lodging only!