Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep

What's it like living around gosford?

Hi all

we are hoping to move out to NSW next summer, and have been considering our options for buying property. We are retired so won't have to consider a commute, but also will have a fixed budget because there will be no mortgage.

we originally thought we would like to settle in Kiama, which is an easy two hour train ride from our daughter in Sydney. However, prices in that area seem to be rocketing and if they continue we will no longer be able to afford it.

We we had originally dismissed the Central Coast as being too quiet, but the property prices round gosford are very appealing. It's no good getting more property for our money if there isn't much of a social hub there, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue about life in and around Gosford/ Woywoy. Ideally we'd like to be on a train line because although we both drive we don't necessarily always want to ...

main in concern is the demographic - would we be likely to find other recent retirees or would we be out on a limb?

Thanks for all replies.

Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6335 times
      Rep
      [QUOTE=Fisher1;1936990395]Hi all

we are hoping to move out to NSW next summer, and have been considering our options for buying property. We are retired so won't have to consider a commute, but also will have a fixed budget because there will be no mortgage.

we originally thought we would like to settle in Kiama, which is an easy two hour train ride from our daughter in Sydney. However, prices in that area seem to be rocketing and if they continue we will no longer be able to afford it.

We we had originally dismissed the Central Coast as being too quiet, but the property prices round gosford are very appealing. It's no good getting more property for our money if there isn't much of a social hub there, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a clue about life in and around Gosford/ Woywoy. Ideally we'd like to be on a train line because although we both drive we don't necessarily always want to ...

main in concern is the demographic - would we be likely to find other recent retirees or would we be out on a limb?

I guess it's a similar train journey from The Central Coast to Sydney, perhaps less than Kiama to Sydney, depending where your daughter is living in Sydney. I wouldn't have thought that Gosford itself or even Woy Woy are quieter than Kiama. Is living in Sydney not an option? Perhaps Blue Mountains, Penrith, Campbelltown areas?

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      [QUOTE=MARYROSE02;1936990406]
      Quote Originally Posted by Fisher1 View Post
      Hi all

I guess it's a similar train journey from The Central Coast to Sydney, perhaps less than Kiama to Sydney, depending where your daughter is living in Sydney. I wouldn't have thought that Gosford itself or even Woy Woy are quieter than Kiama. Is living in Sydney not an option? Perhaps Blue Mountains, Penrith, Campbelltown areas?

Thanks Mary Rose, we live by the coast at the moment and want to carry on living by the coast if we can ... Even though it's more expensive.

its not so much about gosford being quiet, as it being potentially full of young commuters... Do people retire there as they do to Kiama I wonder.
      Last edited by Fisher1; 18-09-2016 at 04:28 PM.
      Fisher1

103 visa application lodged February 2013. 143 visa application submitted January 2016. Police checks and form 80 submitted February 29th 2016. Visa granted April 4th 2016.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4191 times
      Rep
      Gosford is the biggest town on the Central Coast but I wouldn't want to live there, frankly. I believe the English expression is chavvy!

It's not easy to find lively towns like Kiama at a reasonable price - most little coastal towns are quiet with not much going on, and the ones that aren't are going to be desirable and therefore pricey.

I don't know the area well, but when I was living in Sydney there was always a lot of advertising for over-55's developments around Lake Macquarie. I don't mean retirement homes - developers get concessions for building houses/villas/townhouses for over-55's only, but they don't have extra fees for support services etc.
      Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Australian husband applied for UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Australia June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      423 times
      Rep
      The area around Umina and Ettalong could suit you. A fair bit of development has gone on and there is quite a reasonable number of things to get involved in. I have a son who has a business in the area and his in-laws moved up there from Sydney. It is only about 10 minutes to the station in WoyWoy. The population in the area covers the whole range of ages - children to retirees.
      Last edited by Ellie 2; 19-09-2016 at 02:29 AM.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      591 times
      Rep
      My parents are a bit further up at Toukley, the nearest stop is Wyong and there's a reasonably fast train into Sydney available. It's a place with retirees and young families, and has everything they need like major shopping areas at Tuggerah with local clubs and amenities, the only downside is because it's on a surf beach the main road gets a bit clogged in summer.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Thanks guys, it's so difficult to know ... We did go to gosford for the day once and weren't particularly impressed but you know, house prices can put a glow on the most unlikely spot! We'll definitely look at toukley and ettalong when we arrive ... We are almost certainly going to rent for a few months first. It's so difficult to find anywhere affordable around Sydney now, and living in a really beautiful town in North Wales makes at the moment makes it difficult to consider moving away from the coast.

Hopefully we'll get the house sold and scrape into Kiama by our bootstraps!
      Fisher1

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      6880 times
      Rep
      My favourite place on the Central Coast is Avoca Beach. Don't know how expensive it is now - used to be very reasonable. It's about 25 mins from Gosford.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1841 times
      Rep
      Think it's quite expensive but I'll check. thank you.
      Fisher1

Title
      Liked
      45 times
      Rep
      There are lots of beautiful areas around Gosford and lots of areas for retirees. Woy Woy has some nice parts and Umina and Ettalong are lovely. Point Clair is on the water too and is lovely and has a station.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast