Airport Procedure - WHV

Brit2Oz

Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and have been granted my WHV within only a couple of hours of submitting my basic application and paying the visa fee. I received the Visa grant notice. I didn't upload any documents such as passport pages, birth cert etc so will this be required at any stage?

I've never traveled to Australia before nether the less on a WHV so what questions will I be asked upon arriving at the airport in Australia and what documents will they ask to see?

Is travel health insurance mandatory?

Do they always ask for proof of funds? I have 6.5K AUD saved but in cash and I am travelling on a one way ticket.

Thanks in advance

Brit

I didn't upload any documents such as passport pages, birth cert etc so will this be required at any stage?

Nope, you have been granted the visa :)

I've never traveled to Australia before nether the less on a WHV so what questions will I be asked upon arriving at the airport in Australia and what documents will they ask to see?

The Visa information is stored against your passport number. I would also print your grant email just for backup. If you change your passport you will need to get this sorted out.

It isn't. If you go to a state hospital and you require treatment, show them your passport and they will bill the NHS.

Do they always ask for proof of funds?

You shouldn't have an issue with this either as a certain amount of funds ins't a requirement. The idea of the WHV is to work to fund the trip.

Edited by JetBlast

Thanks JetBlast

I was under the impression from the immigration website for the WHV 417 that proof of funds of about 5K AUD would be required.

"

• have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay"

Whilst travel insurance isn't mandatory it is most certainly advisable! You will be en route through countries where there is no reciprocal medical arrangement and to get caught sick there could be a di$a$ter.

In addition, the reciprocity is only for "essential" medical intervention and some things which you might consider essential may actually not be when push comes to shove. Also, if, heaven forbid something awful happened to you, although your initial emergency treatment would, most definitely be free, once you are stable and moveable, they will expect you to be repatriated before you got into expensive rehabilitation therapies or condition maintenance and that is horrifically expensive - travel insurance would cover that.

Also the old loss of luggage etc etc

Hi there

Congrats on your WHV - you'll have a great time!

I did mine 5 years ago.

Same as you, being from the UK you generally get it automatically. I didn't have to show anything. But then I did have a return ticket.

You may get pulled over at Border for not having a return ticket - in which case you may have to explain your circumstances and take proof of your funds to buy a return ticket. Basically they don't want people hanging around without a visa, after the WHV is up! :)

It IS however EXTREMELY wise to take enough funds with you for a) a return ticket b) living expenses for when you first get there (it's MUCH more expensive than you ever imagine) and also it can take time to find work as a lot of businesses won't hire temp-workers (as they know they'll loose them) It took me about 2 months to find work realistically... So be prepared to be paying your British Pounds for a few months if necessary.

Yep you'll need to take travel insurance with you - as said previously, Australia does have basic medical reciprocal arrangements, but that won't cover you for serious accidents, lost baggage, stolen goods etc etc. I took out a 1 year travel policy with Insure and Go. Because at the end of the day it IS a working 'Holiday' visa, so you will be holidaying as well.. and maybe doing some trips here and there, and it would be super wise to be covered :)

But most of all - enjoy it! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity! You'll have a ball!

Happy to help with any other questions you have!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

I'm from the UK and have been granted my WHV within only a couple of hours of submitting my basic application and paying the visa fee. I received the Visa grant notice. I didn't upload any documents such as passport pages, birth cert etc so will this be required at any stage?

Do they always ask for proof of funds? I have 6.5K AUD saved but in cash and I am travelling on a one way ticket.

Thanks in advance

Brit

My best friend started her WHV last year with no return ticket. She had to show proof of having $5,000 in her bank. Unfortunately, she had transferred all her money into her Oz NAB bank. I had to send her £5000 to her English bank and she transferred it straight back to me!

I think its just a random check!