Desperately need some guidance

Suziedoll

Husband and I and kids are currently in Oz to activate our visa. I was certain that somewhere in SE QLD would appeal to us to settle on as our destination but nowhere has. I feel like nowhere has any soul or substance.

We have checked out Sunshine Coast extensively and spent 3 days at south of gold coast. GC was a definite no and Sunshine Coast just seems to lack any soul.

We only have a few days left and I'm desperate to find somewhere before we leave for UK otherwise I fear my dream may be over.

So question is is there anywhere in NSW that will have a strong community feel close(ish) to the beach? Luckily don't have to worry about work as husband is self employed and can work from anywhere. We would like somewhere that won't cost any more than 550k for a 4 bed. We come from a little village in UK where we can walk to coffee shops, local supermarket, doctors, butchers etc. I'm not sure if this can be replicated in Oz on our budget.

oh and should say I don't want to be any more than 2.5 hours from Sydney

thank you

Central Coast would be your best bet, but what do you mean by 2.5 hours from Sydney - do you mean in rush hour or off-peak? There's a huge difference. You can check by using Google Maps and using the feature to choose the date and time of travel.

I'm not sure that village life in the UK can be replicated in Australia anywhere on any budget!

550k for a 4 bedroom home near the beach sounds like a very tall order to me. Most Australians want to be near the coast, so the prices in coastal towns get driven up by people retiring to the beach and people renting out holiday homes.

Edited by Marisawright

Husband and I and kids are currently in Oz to activate our visa. I was certain that somewhere in SE QLD would appeal to us to settle on as our destination but nowhere has. I feel like nowhere has any soul or substance.

We have checked out Sunshine Coast extensively and spent 3 days at south of gold coast. GC was a definite no and Sunshine Coast just seems to lack any soul.

We only have a few days left and I'm desperate to find somewhere before we leave for UK otherwise I fear my dream may be over.

So question is is there anywhere in NSW that will have a strong community feel close(ish) to the beach? Luckily don't have to worry about work as husband is self employed and can work from anywhere. We would like somewhere that won't cost any more than 550k for a 4 bed. We come from a little village in UK where we can walk to coffee shops, local supermarket, doctors, butchers etc. I'm not sure if this can be replicated in Oz on our budget.

oh and should say I don't want to be any more than 2.5 hours from Sydney

thank you

Did you check out Buderim on the Sunshine Coast? Lots of families seem very happy, definitely has a village feel, plenty of shops coffee shops, Dr.s dentist, supermarkets and good schools. Lots of activities for children in the area, horse riding, dance classes, scouts, guides, all sports and swimming catered for. We lived in a large village in UK and there is much more here for children than we had, plus the coast.

You might struggle though to find a 4 bed. house for $550 k that really equates to 225k ukpds at a rough 2 for 1.

Sorry can't help with NSW.

You won't replicate your UK village because it's Australia, but there are good local communities with lots going on.

Hope you find one.

Almost everywhere has a good community if you stay a while and get involved but it's unlikely that you will see or feel it while merely passing through.

Somewhere like Byron or Kiama have famously strong communities but your budget won't allow you to live in either.

Maybe check out some of the smaller, more inland towns in northern NSW. Places like Mullumbimby, Murwillumbah or Bangalow. Real Estate would be cheaper than Byron itself and as there's a sizeable alternative population up there, you will probably see a bit more visible 'soul'!

Edited by NickyNook

you could look at places around tea gardens & hawks nest. they are close to the beach with nice houses in your budget. ulludulla mentioned earlier is a lovely beachside town but its about 3 hours to sydney. you could also look at the coastal towns east of nowra. some like vincentia are out of your budget but others nearby are more affordable. not sure you have time to cover the distances involved though. probably a bit unrealistic to even try.

You could have a look at Nowra and surrounds. That is about 2ish hours from Sydney (more in heavy traffic) and house prices are more affordable. It doesn't have the best reputation, but I'm not really sure why as it's always been okay when we've been there (I don't really know the area other than passing through on holiday though). There are some very nice beaches (with the whitest sand in the world) within a short (20-40 minute) journey. However, it isn't really like a village, in the British sense of the word. Like any place, there are probably better parts of Nowra and worse parts.

Alternatively, you could look at the Central Coast area, although I must admit I've not been up that way for a while. It is nice though, with nice beaches and within a couple of hours of Sydney.

Out of interest where did you check out at Sunny coast? I think there's loads of interesting little villages although maybe not by a beach for a 4 bed at 500k. But that is a very unrealistic ask in SE QLD.

I have always found the further from the coast you go,the more people look out for each and take time to get each other, maybe look inland a little and decide if being further from the beach is worth it.. It was for us. You will also find your budget stretches much further in most areas.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...

In NSW I would second Booma's suggestions, either mid-north coast (the stretch north of Newcastle, but not Port Stephens as it's more expensive and very much holiday home territory. So is Pacific Palms (Blueys/Boomerang beach) but there are small towns and villages in that area that have year round life and strong community

The other side of Sydney I also agree with suggestions but you'll need to be south of Kiama/Gerringong probably to meet budget. Again a decent amount of year round communities

I'm not sure what you are looking for exists for your budget. I hope I'm wrong.

I was thinking Ulladulla, NSW or somewhere around there but really it's a stab in the dark.

I love Ulladulla! I found a great coastal town about 30 minutes away called Bawley Point. Beautiful and perfect for a peaceful getaway.

However, if you are looking for a place to live, whilst Ulladulla is great, it has the infrastructure of a country town.

If you want something with more infrastructure on the south coast, you could move closer to either Nowra, or Batemans Bay.

Out of interest where did you check out at Sunny coast? I think there's loads of interesting little villages although maybe not by a beach for a 4 bed at 500k. But that is a very unrealistic ask in SE QLD.

Hi. We checked mostly along the coast and a couple of inland places. Have you any suggestions I could take a look at?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I second Buderim on sunny coast.

Hawthorne or Bulimba not happening at that budget. What about Ballina area NSW?

Thanks Buderim was lovely but I thought out of our budget? Ballina is a bit too remote. I'm a shocking worrier, wouldn't want to be too far from a major city for hospitals

You may want to consider Hawthorne or Bulimba in Brisbane. There is a lovely village atmosphere with lots of cafes and restaurants, and only a couple of stops on the Cat to get to the artificial beach in South Bank.

Thanks took a lot but very expensive :(

Thanks Buderim was lovely but I thought out of our budget? Ballina is a bit too remote. I'm a shocking worrier, wouldn't want to be too far from a major city for hospitals

Ballina has a good hospital, it's a regional centre. I thought you wanted to be closer to Sydney? If you're willing to be more flexible, I'd be looking at Port Macquarie. Major regional hospital, lots of facilities, plenty of smaller towns round about. Several flights a day to Sydney and you can get good deals.

Edited by Marisawright

Mountain Creek might have better value houses than Buderim, we love living there and always say we have twice the house for half the money, but although we have local shops, it's not as villagey as Buderim, then there is Sippy Downs, which suits people price wise. All have good schools and there is the Sunshine Coast university in S Downs, and a brand new hospital opening shortly