Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Thank you @Martinbjulieb - would really appreciate update as it sounds like we're going through very similar decision making. Good luck with it all

I'm lucky that all my family is English but I was born here (so the token Aussie); I have british passport and rights - so that has made the decision to move back a lot easier. Only been for visits and like what I saw and trying to take in info etc from this forum.

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      just wondered how its all going suemalls
      , were moving back in august, to our house we are renting out (just down the road in whittlesey!)
      we need to get some quotes. would i need to get them out? we've only just moved here and hardly bought anything. it all arrived in 20ft container o it should go back in it , plus ill be packing it , so i know there wont be wasted space and breakable stuff well protected!

did you end up around Peterborough?

Quote Originally Posted by suesmalls View Post
      Thank you @Martinbjulieb - would really appreciate update as it sounds like we're going through very similar decision making. Good luck with it all

I'm lucky that all my family is English but I was born here (so the token Aussie); I have british passport and rights - so that has made the decision to move back a lot easier. Only been for visits and like what I saw and trying to take in info etc from this forum.

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Hi There

We are still in Perth and house just going on market. I had knee replacement late November 16 and with the bad / long winter we have been delayed.
      We will probably be using Chess to move our goods.
      We also will be going to Whittlesey as that's where my husband's family live. What a small world.

I've read on other posts if you pack yourself UK customs are more inclined to inspect & there will be costs & potential delays. Now if that info is coming from removalists than could be a bit trumped up. But recent posts under Moving To UK Forum seem to confirm that. I'd check that out & get a few quotes. I'm reading that getting your own insurance is the way to go. Cheaper & easier if you need to claim.

Are you in Perth? Seems like you weren't here long? Sorry it didn't work out.
      We'll be going based on sale of house.

Good to hear from you. Will wait for update
      Sue

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      ive not read up much about sending stuff from oz to Uk, but i did read soemthing somewhere that its quicker due to customs in uk. however i dont know how strict they are on stuff like shoes ,garden and wooden items ect. i need to find out . i was hopeing it would be much more straight forward and easy , as moving to here was hell on earth.
      we've not been here long , we were suppose to be living in brisbane , but despite my friends saying youll get a job when you get here, it just didnt work out that way , so in desperation we moved to melbourne on a confirmed job offer. the job worked out luckily, but we're finding it too expensve to live. house prices are running into the million mark, which would mean (if they would give us a mortgage for at least 600,000, that we would be heavily in debt for the rest of our lives, in uk we will be nearly mortgage free)
      it's not just the house prices for us, lots of factors are pricing us out. im finding it impossible to get a job with having no experience. ive spoken to local young adults and one girl had 2 part time jobs working in retail, it took her months to get the first job and most of her friends dont have jobs and one of her fiends has never had a job at the age of 21. we've considered everything and our kids would be better off where we lived. if you have kids i would look at spalding as a base as there are free grammar schools there which are very high on the best in the uk. my daughter went there and my son was due to go there last September. luckily i can get them back in in September .

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      I have just got 3 quotes from Chess, Pickfords and Crown. They were similar between $3330 and $4100, 2 quotes were almost identical and 1 was more expensive. GST is extra as is insurance. Insurance costs 3.5% -4% of the value of the belongings with a minimum value of $30,000 so about $1000 for insurance. In total will come to $5k with insurance. ( I am going with one of the cheaper quotes). I am taking 2 rooms worth of furniture, a sofa a queen bed, a chest of drawers 2 bedsides tables, a TV cabinet and a very large coffee table plus 35 packing boxes of books and kitchen stuff plus 5 hanging rails of clothes. I can be precise as I have sold my house and moved into temporary accommodation.

The costs are quoted on cubic meters and I have about 10, or visually about 2/3 of an 8 ton removal truck.

Quote is for Sydney to Birmingham.

My advice: get a consultant round to quote and work out before exactly what pieces of furniture you want to take. They will then do an accurate inventory for you. I also recommend getting the removalists to pack as the cost of the actual packing is negligible and it is less likely to get stopped by customs. If you pack yourself and it is checked the customs charges will exceed the packing charge.

Hope this helps

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Hi @99redballs I remember seeing your posts when you were looking to move to Melbourne from Brisbane. Melbourne is an expensive city (Sydney worse), I know homes in Whittlesey will be cheaper. It's a shame the resource industry took a tumble as there would have been plenty of work around Brisbane before.
      Good to hear you'll be mortgage free in Whittlesey, that's great news. Bugger you can't get job as that probably limits you meeting people and getting involved too so that can't have helped any. Unless you're out and about with social circle in your community. Really hope it works out for you back home. Or are you moving to Spalding itself?

Thanks @ScottieGirl for the update on the shipping quotes - I've heard a few times now to get the removalist / shipping company to pack - did Chess etc tell you this direct? I was wondering if was just a sales "Pitch" or actually fact. But I have read it a few times from people on this forum to get them to pack to avoid Customs opening when you get to UK and then charging - wouldn't know what those costs are but again others have hinted they are quite high and you have no control over it (and can delay your goods being delivered). Seems like more hassle than it's worth.

Are you getting quotes for your own insurance from Lleyton Percival (think that's how you spell it). Most are saying to get your own insurance to reduce costs considerably and to it is much easier in event of a claim as you deal direct.

On the point of shoes, garden tools and wooden items - did any of your shipping companies give you any guidance - like what you can and can't take? I also want to take my shoes and garden tools - wasn't sure about quarantine etc.

Did Chess come in the cheapest? We're hearing they're giving better quotes over here in Perth and good to deal with.

Thanks for the update.

Title
      Liked
      0 times
      Rep
      Hi suesmalls

Pickfords came in cheapest by about $150 but their insurance quote was $150 higher so it evened out. Had not thought of independent insurance. I did get a quite from one of the removers for my dogs and an independent quote, the independent quote was 10% cheaper even though from the same pet company so going direct for insurance may be cheaper.

Both Pickfords and Chess told me the consignment is labelled as PBR ( packed by removalist) or PBO (packed by owner) since they both used the same jargon I believe them. They also said PBO lots are more likely to be checked by customs which makes perfect sense - removalists are unlikely to pack stuff on the customs banned list as they do it every day and it's not worth their reputation. They told me I could take my lawn mower as long as it was thoroughly cleaned. Shoes were no issue, again hiking & gardening shoes need to be scrubbed. Get the guys round to do the inventory and they will tell you straight up what you can and can't take. That said there is no guarantee customs won't spot check a PBR shipment.

Title
      Liked
      4 times
      Rep
      well nearly mortgage free, we took an advance out to come here for deposit for a house, however we have eaten into it. not to worry, still silly amount compared to a mortgage if we stay here, and dammed if i pay out over $2200 in rent a month and have nothing to show for it at the end of 25 years!
      our house is only 10 miles from whittlesey in Parson Drove.
      I've had some news! I've got a job interview at aldi this week. even if i got the job we shall still be going home as thats whats best for kids and our secure financial future.shame i can't take melbourne back with me, its nice to have so many things to do on your doorstep.

such a pain we have to go trough stringent customs again! I'm going to ask for boxes to pack all my clothes and kitchen ware. even though the head office says they have to pack it all, when the boys come that do the job I'm sure they won't be too fussed if you've packed clothes and kitchen stuff such as tupperware, as it will mean they can go home earlier. i shall pack the lot and if they want to go through it so beit , even if they take it out and put it back in to go through it ,it will still be wrapped and they will have to pack it how i did to fit it in the box. i bet all they'll want to make sure is packed ok is breakables , cause if its broken when not wrapped properly it will be their fault. garden and shoes they may well want to see too. and this time we shall be dismantling the buffet table and tv cabinet, so hopefully it won't get more damaged.im claiming from lepton and percival at the moment , not been very quick, but we have a few items that were damaged. so ill let yo know how we are dealt with

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      Hi @99redballs good news on the job front. Even it you do it to get a bit of money behind you to go back with. Well done, good luck with interview.

If you pack the boxes just leave them open and then they can see so they should sign off as packed by them. I'll probably do that with kitchen pots etc as I don't think they will be as good as me (or careful in other words).
      I think shoes is just something they overlook - can you imagine the effort if they had to look at all the shoes (but it's actually something that could create major issues if there is contamination).
      I've got quite good garden tools that are thousands of dollars added up so I'll definitely want to take them as I intend on gardening in UK as that's my passion. maybe not at first as we'll be renting for years - it takes a long time to get credit rating and knowing where we want to settle long term etc. It's all really up in the air. I know hubby wants to stay around Whittlesey - but the geography / landscape didn't appeal to me. Too flat and marsh land. We live less than mile from beach here (which I know I won't get in England), but I expect to be near greenery and or hills etc. Not just flat marsh land.

I actually liked Whittlesey village and had few good nights out there and in the local. Close to Peterborough and loved Stamford. Easy to get to Cambridge too. Given how far we drive over here to me it wasn't such a big drive to visit places. But I haven't seen enough of places to really have a good understanding of the lay of the land etc. That'll be what we do when we get there and obviously wherever I find work will be the main driver.

Did you get your dining table taken apart? I want to take my very nice local wood (marri) dining table back as it cost $4000. But will take up some room - just interested on your experiences what you found easier. Cheers

• John Mason International Movers

•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123